Nikon V1 @ 3200

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by haigaw, Dec 15, 2011.

1. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    So recently purchased a G3 and was pretty happy, until I picked up a V1 from amazon thinking, "eh... just for fun. i can return it". Ended up being very impressed with the camera. enough that i'm unloading my camera (it's up in the classifieds). A lot of people knock on the V1, but honestly, i think it's great for certain shooters. Anyways... here's a sample at 3200, RAW and unprocessed with no NR (well, converted to JPEG if that's considered as processed =)

2011-12-14at18-07-02.

2. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    how is it in low light?

3. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    grainy. Although, and this might just be me, i don't really see a HUGE difference compared to my G3 at ISOs 800-3200. The big difference between the G3 and V1 is that at LOW ISO, there's a lot more noise in the V1.

4. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    here's another 3200 sample. taken in worse lighting. RAW -> JPEG. No NR or Post. 30mm, f/5.6, 1/15.

DSC_0092.

5. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    and one at 6400 in crap lighting, again RAW->JPEG and no post or NR. Focus on the "Lumix X"

2010-12-09at22-49-13.

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I don't get it. Why would you give up the G3 for the V1?

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    seems impressive for the V1.

16mp vs 10mp i think makes a lot of difference in high iso.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I know I shouldn't get into threads like this, but I have to ask -- given that you also have a posting about the G3 at ISO6400 -- how often and for what purposes do you use such extreme ISO?

Also, above you stated to the question "how is it in low light?" -- "grainy" and "i don't really see a HUGE difference compared to my G3 at ISOs 800-3200. The big difference between the G3 and V1 is that at LOW ISO, there's a lot more noise in the V1."

This says the V1 is grainy in low light, not different from the G3, and in low ISO, there's more noise in the V1. Why the excitement then with the V1? Also, how often for what uses do you shoot ISO6400? :confused:

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's a fine camera if you can live with (or need) infinite DOF and desire high burst rates.

If you want some control over DOF at reasonable focus distances, you're going to be hard pressed until they come out with some REALLY fast lenses.

Personally, I don't see why you would give up the G3 based on your comments above.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    JFYI - my understanding is that the J1/V1 have noise reduction automatically applied to even RAW/NEF files at mid to high ISO. I think this starts at 1600.

11. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Chose V1 for a few reasons

1) AF seems more consistent
    2) Tracking when doing video seems more consistent
    3) SOOC pics seem better exposed and colors seem to be more to my liking
    4) Images seem sharper with the V1 (when compared to the 14-42 zoom lens
    of the G3)
    5) Love the larger size battery!

I don't shoot at 6400 often. If I need to be shooting in that situation, i'll usually have a DSLR on hand.

Agree with the large DOF comment, perhaps that's why images to me seem a little sharper

Here's a RAW comparison between G3 and V1, the difference is big, and to my taste, the V1 seems more appealing

G3 RAW
    2011-12-11at12-38-31.

V1
    [​IMG]

in anycase, not trying to start a flame war. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for a new toy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Greater DOF also helps with AF, as your DOF is simply deeper. Easier to focus.

Still dont understand your first post re: ISO. Enjoy the new toy,

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you don't need control over DoF and want good camcorder then V1 is a valid choice. Only it's way overpriced, IMO. I would choose advanced P&S over it. I like shallow DoF which I will never get with Nikon 1 at normal distances because that would require sub f1 apertures and would conflict with Nikon's DSLR line (that's what they're for).

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think, at least in the images you posted above, that the difference is more metering than color rendering. So your remark about exposure is well taken. On the other hand, I'm sure a slight turn of the exposure compensation dial on the G3 will get you what you want. But, having said all that, I understand what you're saying. The V1 "speaks" to you (the way the imperfect Fuji X100 and X10 may speak to others) and you're stoked about the camera. That's great. If you like it more than the G3 then you'll use it more. And that can't be a bad thing.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think Thom's review was far less biased. No mention in this review of the automagic NR applied to Nikon 1 raw files in camera.

"Unfortunately, sometimes the cameras get in the way of doing the right thing. Nikon's heavy handed long exposure noise reduction techniques and their pre-processing of Nikon 1 raws above ISO 400 come to mind." - Thom Hogan

I am not saying that good NR is not a selling point, just that comparing an E-PL3 versus a Nikon 1 as the review above does is like comparing apples to oranges.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Fair enough statement that I won't debate.:smile:
    Do you feel MFT reviews are biased or no :confused:

18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the link. Nice in depth review. I'm still tempted to get a V1. But I'm tempted way too often by way too many cameras (and lenses)!

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All of those have NR applied, because the Nikon cameras automatically and irreversibly applies NR to the RAW file at ISO 800 and up. The only way to properly compare those files to MFT files is to process both to taste using as much NR and sharpening as you like for both and then compare.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You & me both! :biggrin:
    Compact rangefinder or PEN F/PEN FT is on my current radar.....:smile: