Nikon user migrating

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ultimind, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ultimind

ultimind Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Migrating to the smaller sensor side of the world :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, from a (former) D300 shooter.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's the migration tip for all Nikon users:

Everything is now backwards. The lens mounts by turning it on backwards. The lens focuses by turning the focus ring backwards. Everything is backwards.

This is also true when migrating to Canon, Pentax, or most any other system. ;)
  4. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome to M43. What camera have you started with?

One of my Nikon lenses went out this morning, another is still posted on eBay, and my DSLR is accumulating some bidding activity. All to finance more lenses. (Plus a Lumix LX5, which I latched onto this morning.)
  5. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    I am a former Nikon and Canon shooter. Photography is not my profession, (i am just a hardcore enthusiast with a good job) but having high image quality was always a very strong priority for me. When I got into photography that was the ONLY way to go to get IQ that matched my needs.

Once the X-pro1 came out I started peeking over the fence to see what was going on. Then there was the Olympus OMD. I started doing research and realized with the mirrorless systems i could get equal image quality for half the price/weight (with the right cameras. the most recent from 2012 are the only ones that met my criteria)

being a timelapse photographer there is a huge appeal for lightweight compact IC systems with weather sealing, live view, and sharp optics. The OMD was a perfect fit.

I suspect there are quite a few DSLR shooters that were in the same boat as me, the 43rds system had not matured to the point it could give DSLR's a run for the money in IQ, AF speed, or build. Those days are now over and mirrorless is giving a very wide range of high quality options.

I suspect over the next year sales of cameras like the T31 and D3200 will slump. A good amount of people buying those cameras never go beyond the kit lens and 55-200. I think many would preffer a point and shoot camera, but realize they cannot get DSLR image quality from automatic P&S compacts.

Mirrorless really bridges that gap, you lose some of the things that professionals usually require but non-professionals do not. Such as the super ergonomic large body that you can shoot with for 8 hours without getting fatigued.

I think mirrorless is just going to blow up from here, and DSLR's will end up being found primarily in the hands of pro photogs.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I migrated from Nikon also, from Nikon film cameras to Canon digital. Welcome to ยต4/3. Hopefully we can all settle down here and throw some roots down.

7. k_ashok_k

k_ashok_k New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2013
    Ashok Kandmalla
    I have not migrated but a dual system user - Nikon and Oly. You can customize both systems a lot so that the controls (especially the control dials, analog scale, etc) behave similarly. I have done this and don't find moving from one to another difficult.