1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon transceiver on Oly em1ii ??

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by FirstAscent, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FirstAscent

FirstAscent Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Alaska/Oregon
    hi all,

Currently I'm shooting with an Oly em1ii and Broncolor Siros L strobes. Broncolor does not make a transceiver for Olympus so I've done various testing and successfully have HS up to 1/8000 working with a PocketWizard setup as well as a Cactus setup.

Well, it dawned on me today about using a Broncolor transceiver (Nikon version that I already have) for anything below x-sync.

I did a quick test and taped over all the contacts except the firing pin on the em1ii, mounted the Broncolor transceiver, and it works great below x-sync. I guess this isn't too surprising given that it most likely isn't using the other pins for communication anyway.

My question is- would there be any concerns using the nikon transceiver on my em1ii without taping over the contacts? Any research I've found mentioned there could be potential of frying things when mounting other speedlights to other brand cameras, but I wasn't sure about transceivers.

The majority of the time I'm not using HS so it would be so much easier to use the Bron transceiver for making remote adjustments etc. Then I'll swap on the PocketWizard for when I need HS.

What are your thoughts? Thank you all!!

2. Generally it's not a good idea, even though they probably do have short circuit protection (it's an exposed contact on a WR camera after all).

You could always get one of those hot shoe port adapter things and take the extra pins out so they can't make contact.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FirstAscent

Nov 7, 2017
    Alaska/Oregon
    Thanks for your input! I've reached out to Broncolor directly as well to see if I can get further info from their engineers on potential voltages across those pins that may be concerning.

4. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, shorts typically occur at 0V, and I wouldn't expect them to damage the camera as the hotshoe is expected to accept metal objects which are likely to induce a short during insertion.
    Unless there's significant reports of damage to Oly cameras with Nikon hotshoe equipment, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FirstAscent

Nov 7, 2017
    Alaska/Oregon
    Kinda what I figured, and I hadn't found anything related to equipment damage during my google searches. I appreciate your input as well!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.