Nikon today announced the new D3100 and four new lenses & Mamiya’s new dig

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Jonkobeck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Photography insight: Nikon announces the D3100 and four new lenses & Mamiya’s new digital Capture back says B and H in an email I received an hour ago. So if Nikon releases this now, why do we have to wait for Panasonic next month. A pre announcement would be nice

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    calm down jon

all the manufacturers will be making announcement in the run up to Photokina...they make the announcements early to get the most publicity... if they all waited until the first day of photokina then their message would get lost in the blizzard of announcements.

you could argue that those who announce earliest have the weakest announcement, and announce early to ensure they get maximum coverage

its a marketing driven world

K

3. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Finally they've caught up with the likes of Canon and Sony in regards to entry cameras...Sadly, nothing very innovative, I'd still take 4/3rds over this any day. I wish Nikon would hurry up and replace the D300s, D90 and D700 already, I'm getting impatient. :/

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    so the d330s and D700 are really such terrible cameras?....stop obsessing on the camera.... it doesn't take the photo ... you do

we all like new gear... but seriously before you complain about supposedly failings in what you have make sure you are getting the best from it.

three year old technology with a 20 year old lens taken this week

E-510 with nikkor 105/2.5

[​IMG]
    self #14 by kevinparis, on Flickr

5. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    I am most certainly making the most of my D300s/D5000, but have been looking to upgrade to FX for a while now. However, the difference between the D300s and D700 is slim, and so I wait. I would definitely say that Nikon has fallen behind in the race as of late, seemingly focusing on their amateur crowd, and forgetting those who cannot spend 8000$ on a body.
    Hopefully I will be eating my words once Photokina's secrets are revealed. ;]

6. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Nice self portrait Kevin,
    You resemble Crosby from Crosby Stills and Nash

7. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Kevin,

Nice shot,
    - With selftimer or remote control (and/or somebody else helping you with the compositions)?

8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks Jonko

I hope you mean Crosby before he became a gun waving car smashing cocaine addict with e liver transplant :)

K

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Joep

used the remote control - which is why it is shot on the 510 as opposed to the E-P1.

assistance from Harry the Head in setting up the shot

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/meet-harry-head-my-new-assistant-4870/

Natural daylight

10 euro black duvet cover as a backdrop

lots of shots taken....many rejected

PP in Aperture

more shots here

selfs - a set on Flickr

cheers

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  10. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    My wife is hair designer, she has a comparable one I could use, but given the long hair I guess Harry won't be the right name for my future assistent.

It might also help to be able to attach a laptop/computer or even television to your camera to check the composition, just before you push the button on the remote control.

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    joep

I have thought about the laptop route

couple of problems

1) another set of wires to trip over

2) the Olympus studio software that allows tethered shooting isn't worth the 100 bucks olympus charge.

but I will have a think about other solutions

Cheers

K

12. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    A cheap, cheap webcam looking at the back of your camera?
    - Hmm, you need another tripod to get it aimed properly, but if you have and leave enough room in between to walk then it should work