Nikon to establish program for "advanced firmware updates"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by demiro, Jan 8, 2015.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010

Pretty interesting. It will put a ton of pressure on Canon to do the same from a DSLR standpoint, and hopefully influence Olympus and Panasonic as well.
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The update software sounds exactly like what Olympus has with its Digital Camera Updater. The E-M1 already has a three colour histogram etc. Yes, Olympus could possibly provide more features via updates, but it all depends on what the hardware is capable of accepting. That Nikon can do all of this and haven't in the past says something.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, I think this looks more like a reaction to Fuji's really excellent 'Kaizen' firmware programme, where they've given substantial upgrades to cameras that are several years old, often repeatedly, and are committed to continuing to do so. The Fuji system isn't ideal for me at this time, overall, but I do admire their approach.

Oly hasn't provided huge significant updates via Firmware; mostly fixes to things that were problems (i.e. zero second antishock, or no IBIS with adapted lenses in the original iteration of the E-M5 firmware). It's not bad, but it's not super exciting to date.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you are correct mattia. Fuji is the model. Olympus has a long way to go, imo, to be on par.