Nikon speedlight SB 28 flash with EP 2

nishendu

Mu-43 Regular
I have an old Nikon SB 28 flash light. I would like to use it and avoid paying big bucks for olympus flash. Can this be done? I took some test pictures and the results were random. Can TLL function be used? Any advice or guidance anyone?

nishendu

Mu-43 Regular
My first question off course is if this flash is safe to use. I heard somewhere about "surge" from older flash unit for film cameras. This one is about ten years old, so I am not really sure. I don't want to mess up my camera. Any help?

nishendu

Mu-43 Regular
OK. I may have found the safey answer. According to this link, the voltage is 5.4, which should be fine.
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
Please do correct me if I did not read something correctly. Olymus likes the voltage between 4 and 6. This is a question of safety of my camera, so please help if I am wrong.
I use flash infrequently, avoid it if possible.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
The SB-28 is safe to use, the trigger voltage is below the 6.5 volt max. allowed by the EP-2.
I have many SB-26's and use them often with my EP-2, and they work excellent.
Set the camera on MANUAL and select a shutter speed up to 1/180.
Set the same ISO/ASA on the camera and flash. You can set the flash in either MANUAL or NORMAL AUTO, TTL does not work.
Refer to the calculator on the flash for effective flash distance per selected f stop on your lens.
You can download the SB-28 user manual from the Nikon USA web site if you don't already have one. I usually download user manuals (in .pdf format) of everything I own, and keep them in "PDF" folder on my computer for future reference.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recommend Strobist for any flash-related issues - especially when using flashes in 'manual' mode. There's a whole world of situations where TLL just doesn't do the job and manual skills become critical. Enjoy!

Latest threads

Top Bottom