1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon Speedbooster? (lens choice help, clarification)

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by crashwins, Oct 16, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Feel like a dummy, but I need clarification on this..

I have what I need for stills shooting, but want to take a stab at video. I have a slew of decent Nikkor AI-s lenses: 28mm, 50mm f1.12, 105mm, really SOLID stuff and I know they're often recommended for DSLR shooters. I don't want to break the bank buying a ton of new lenses..With the crop factor, it seems just a regular Nikon -> MFT adaptor wouldn't get me far - I would be looking at a minimum of 56mm (28x2) in Focal Length. Of course, I could grab a 20 f1.7 or a Voigtlander, but that's more money, especially the latter.

So, can someone explain what FL I would be looking at with the Metabones Nikkor -> MFT speedbooster? Further, would these be good for video on, say, a GH2 or the Black Magic Pocket cam? Seems like if I could work with lenses in the 40mm to 100mm I would be in range for plenty..Thanks a lot!

2. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    The SB is a 0.71x focal reducer that also adds approximately 1 stop of speed (focal reducer physics there)

Thus, adapted, your 28, 50, and 105 become (approximately) a 20, 35, and 75, respectively.

A very good (and inexpensive) thing is if you get a "normal" N-F adapter as well... this will allow each prime to cover 2 focal lengths.

Your GH2's crop factor in video mode is x1.86, the BMPCC's crop factor is x3... so you'll need an ultrawide in there somewhere to get "normal" focal lengths for the BMPCC

3. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks so much for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense now. You're right, I'm still in a funky place with focal lengths. My 50mm would get me a decent length, even my 105, but I still have nothing to give me the standard 35 or 50mm viewpoint. That 3x crop is tricky and I was not aware of that. Again, thanks. Perhaps just getting a regular Nikon adapter and an SLR Magic lens would be money better spent.

4. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I would love to grab a few lenses that wouldn't leave me dependent on the MFT system. Whether adapting 4/3s lenses or just plain Nikon. Also, I understand there's a Canon EF adapter now. Anyone have experiment with that and video?