1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon P7100/Compact, Fixed-Lens Cameras

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Biro, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I stumbled across DPreview's full test of the Nikon P7100, which went up earlier today:

Nikon CoolPix P7100 Review: Digital Photography Review

My brother has this camera and I have to admit it's a decent little piece. The price is now under $400 (in the $379-$389 range) and with a $150 Best Buy gift card that I received back at Christmas, it could be a compelling purchase (Best Buy doesn't tend to carry too much of what I want otherwise).

No, the lens isn't as fast as an Oly XZ1 or a Fuji X10. But it has a 28-200mm zoom range (which I find much more useful than 28-105/112, etc) and tons of direct, external controls in a conveniently small package. My Oly E-PM1 has more-or-less replaced my compact cameras - at least when I have the Panny 14mm or 20mm pancakes on it. But mount anything larger on it and it's not really all that tiny. I am giving the P7100 serious consideration as something to keep in the car or grab when I travel and must really pack light.

So... having said all of this... how many other mu-43.com members still use compact, fixed-lens cameras? We know that the Fuji X10 and X100 have their fans among us. But how about more budget-priced gear?

2. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Occasionally use my Fuji F600EXR

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a Canon SX230. Not a tiny camera, but pretty easily pocketable. 14x zoom; PASM options; nice video (and super slow motion, which is cool). I try to grab it any time I'm not making a point of taking a "good" camera. It has just been replaced by the SX260, so pricing is pretty nice. I think I recently saw one for low $200s.

It is a 3.1 - 5.9 lens, so you're are not in the same speed neighborhood as the XZ-1 or G12.

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have a 4MP Minolta DiMage G400 that I bring with me when my E-PL1 is too large (e.g. cycling) and I want some control over exposure, otherwise I simply use my iPhone 4. Outdoors in good light the Minolta produces acceptable results, and if anything happens to it, I'll be far from heartbroken.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericarthur/5044733707/" title="Konica Minolta Dimage G400 by ericarthur, on Flickr"> 5044733707_b692bb2b7b. "500" height="333" alt="Konica Minolta Dimage G400"></a>

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When my E-PL2 is too large to carry with me, I just bring the E-PM1. ;)

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That old Minolta is still pretty cool! Yes, I expect that many among us will default to the iPhone when they want very compact. I might even get an iPhone myself before the year is out. But there is still that region between the iPhone and :43: or any of the other mirrorless systems when, as photo enthusiasts, we want a bit more control and quality but need to keep the size down.

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Before I started with m4/3 I had a Canon PowerShot G9 which had a similar zoom range to the P7100, equivalent 28-200mm. I regret selling that camera because I could carry it in a pocket which I cannot do with my Pana G3.

The Nikon Coolpix P7100 superseded the P7000 which was criticised for slow operation. But if you upgrade the P7000's firmware to the latest version, it speeds up significantly and is almost as fast as the latest model.

You can buy a P7000 for much less $$ than the P7100. The later model has an additional control wheel and an articulating LCD screen, but the lens and sensor are identical, as is the image quality. So I suggest that anyone looking for an inexpensive alternative to the Nikon Coolpix P7100/Canon PowerShot G12 should consider a P7000.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed, but if I'm going to give up m43 quality then the size advantage has to be REALLY significant - for example, I would consider carrying a Canon S90/95/100 or whatever number they are up to now, but a Canon G series compact or the Nikon equivalent wouldn't give me enough of difference in size to choose it over my E-PL1.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I hear you. The answer will be slightly different for all of us. In line with what you're saying, Canon's new Elph 530 HS seems interesting. It has a 1/2.3 sensor but it's only 10mp and is backlit. The tiny camera has a 28-336mm zoom range:

Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS (IXUS 510 HS): Digital Photography Review

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I recently bought a rugged waterproof compact (Panasonic TS3) to take to the beach & ski slopes, etc. I'm not sure I'd use it for "serious" photography although it looks like it takes nice photos. In playing around with it, I find the focusing to be so slow compared to my GH2. And I'm addicted to RAW ...

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The zoom is nice for a lot of people, but I have a hard time getting excited about these small sensor cameras that have bodies the same size or larger than the smallest m4/3 offerings. It would seem to be hard to beat a E-PM1 with 14mm or 17mm pancake, and then maybe a kit zoom on the side.

On the even smaller end of the spectrum, we always used to have an Elph that we would travel with as an ultra compact. It seems like with our mobile phone cameras catching up, it makes the Elph a bit redundant for us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I dunno, I've had a few "backup cameras" for just-in-case or to leave in the car. They seems like a good idea but at the end of the day I still reach for my G3.

Going to a BBQ? G3 + 20mm.

Hiking? G3 + kit zoom.

Kids sports: G3 + 55-200.

Biking? I grab my old crappy Point n' Shoot because it's tiny and I don't care if it gets scuffed.

So then I sell the old back-up camera, but eventually I see another shiny toy on Craigslist and I go buy it for real cheap and the process starts over again.

I think in good light / outdoors the new Nikon would be a pretty good camera to use period but, I would ask yourself how often you would actually use it.

Greg.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nothing wrong with that cycle as long as it doesn't cost much. It's kind of fun. :wink:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have never been able to keep a digital compact camera at all and never had a "go-anywhere" digital until the Digital PEN. The reason is that being used to the quality of "real" cameras when I picked up a compact the image quality was so poor that I found I would never use it for anything. They say that the "best camera is the one you have with you", but if you can't use the photos you take with it, then what good is it? It's just wasted space.

That's why I got so excited about the original E-P1 Digital PEN. I knew this would be the first compact camera in the digital era I could carry everywhere and still take photos that will meet my standards of quality.

The E-P1 was actually just okay for a compact (though immensely convenient compared with my DSLR!), but now with the E-PM1 Mini I have a true compact! :) Love it.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm waiting for a used GRDIII to pop up at the right price.

ricoh-grd-3-300x198.

That camera would never leave my side...

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting , I used to enjoy super zooms but have lost interest after getting my first PEN and Panasonic 45-200 mm lens. My last super zoom was Panasonic FZ35 .Now I do drool at newer models take some pics in my SD card and when I come home and look at them..I go oh no .. I don't want that. Infact when my daughter was born in 2005 , majority of pics were with a Sony P&S but now when I look at then I regret why didn't I use DSLR for all of them .
    Moreover MFT and NEX series are so compact that I dont think serious people will need compacts . I still like them but not love them.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have to admit I wouldn't mind trying a Sony NEX 5N but I really wouldn't want to spend too much money. If the new Sigma primes for NEX turn out to be decent, maybe I'll give it a shot. But Sony's kit lenses just don't impress me and any NEX stuff wouldn't replace my :43: gear.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know Nex lens line up is less than impressive. I just mentioned that as some people like NEX series . My EPL2 , 45 mm 1.8 and Now Panny 25mm 1.4 always accompany me in my car and later on my wife's handbag. Now EPL2 is my only GF my wife also loves .She was quite hostile to fat ass DSLR..hahaahh
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    When you use the technical term "fat ass," were you refering to one of those upper-end Nikon boat anchors? :biggrin:

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Now how could an Olympus PEN camera be a Panasonic GF camera? :confused:

(j/k)