Nikon or Canon ....

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jeffryscott, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    So, I've decided to go Nikon or Canon and give up my m43 kit for the time being.

I'm in need of faster C-AF for my kids swimming (and a fledgling business shooting other kids swimming for their parents, and possibly other sports if it works) and need more reliable AF and better long lens choices (i.e. less expensive than what the EM-1 and 45-150 2.8 will be).

Thinking Nikon d7000 (some really good deals out there) or Canon 7D. I've extensive experience with both Nikon and Canon systems, but have not ever used either of these cameras. I know the 7D would be suitable (from former coworkers), but am leaning toward the Nikon if AF would be on par with the 7D.

Anybody here with experience with the D7000?

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I have a Nikon D7000 (as well as my micro 43rds gear), my D7000 has good AF but the buffer is a limiting factor and nikon professional lenses are more expensive than Canon lenses (at least around here).

If I was starting from scratch I'd be leaning towards the 7D, I had existing lenses from an earlier Nikon body however.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Six of one. Half a dozen of the other. They're both mid range systems with mid range CAF (compared to say a 1 series or D4). The lenses you chose will have at least as much to do with CAF.

Good luck finding anything from the big two that's cheaper than the 40-150, that's equivalent optically and has IS. I suppose the closest will be the 70-200 f4's. You can certainly get better CAF with your decision but I'm not sure that you'll be able to get what you need without spending quite a bit of money. All the bragging about how vastly superior DSLRs are with CAF often forgets that the tests are all done with good to great lenses. A 70-300 f4-5.6 isn't going to be a great CAF performer.

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    On a pure value basis, the D7000 has been replaced by the D7100 and so has already suffered the inevitable price drop that comes from no longer being the current model. The 7D is still current despite being 1 year older than the D7000 and from what I see it's value of the used market is still strong.
  5. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    I'd start from lens selection first.
    Your ff, light and budget.

I'd look at 7D + 70-200/4 IS at least
    For best results 5D III + 70-200/2.8 IS II
  6. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    I won't be buying anything new, and as I'm a user not a collector, cosmetics aren't terribly important ....

I can get older Nikon 80-200's 2.8s that are well used for under $500 if I shop carefully - one of the reasons I'm looking more seriously at Nikon. There is just such a vast used market for the Nikon gear that I can get a basic system that will outperform (AF-wise) my m43 system ... for about what I sold my kit for.

Without a doubt I prefer most things about m43, but there are holes that I need to plug up and the m43 solutions aren't quite there yet.

While the AF performance of the bodies I'm looking at aren't 1d or D4 fast, they are bound to be way better at CAF than the current m43 bodies ...
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    If you are looking at used, and focus is important, why not consider a D300 or a D700? The D300 had one of Nikon's better CAM modules, and it offers reasonably decent focus tracking. Also note that most 80-200 lenses will not focus as fast as the newer 70-200's.

Good luck,

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Beware on the screw drive 80-200's. Their focus makes m4/3 look postiively snappy even the CAF. You'll need to have proper internal focusing and the SWM to get anything approaching the focus speeds you think you need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Flip a coin! Either system is both the right and wrong decision! :wink:

Personally I shoot Nikon, but either system will do the job. Good luck!
  10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    I went through this same decision process and came up with the E-M1 and 50-200. One of the factors was the 1.4 tele converter.

The 12-60+50-200+1.4TC and 2TC give a lot of flexibility.
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow, you must have the fastest swimming kids on the planet!

I really can't see swimming being highly AF critical ... Especially since the stands are always on the side and the distance to the target doesn't change much.

So, IMHO you're going to spend A BUNCH of money for little/no improvement. You certainly will look professional standing poolside with that big NIKON or CANON emblazoned across the front of the camera, with a giant white lens though.
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    While it's true that the 7D's AF isn't the equal of a 1Dx, it's not far behind. The 7D is pretty much designed from the ground up for action photography, and it's AF is a cut above other "mid-range" cameras. I'd put the D7000 on par with the 60D, and the 7D significantly better for action photography. Also quite a bit more expensive, I think.
  13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Try to rent your chosen combo and compare results with your m43 results. Only then will you know whether or not your chosen solution is worth the cash outlay.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Please, have you ever shot swimming? I shot professionally for over 25 years (including major college and professional sports) so have a pretty good idea of what is needed. I'm simply asking about two specific camera models. If you have specific experience with the 7D or D7000 I'd like to hear it, but if you are going to insinuate that I'm looking to buy a brand so I look professional, then I don't need to hear it. Thanks.
  15. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    The 7D I know is more than capable for my needs, but as you stated, it is quite a bit more expensive and Canon lenses (the fast 2.8 zooms I'm looking at) also tend to be a bit more expensive on the used market.

If the EM-1 wasn't so expensive I'd snap that up and get the 4/3's 50-200, but I can't afford a $1400 body. I can get a refurb D7000 for $680 and add a nice 80-200 2.8 for the price of the Oly.

Honestly, I'm not in love with the idea of the Nikon or Canon, but I think they can be a better tool for the job I want them for.
  16. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    Excellent advice. I would recommend D300 with 80-200 2.8. This combo gives you the added DX crop factor, making the reach about 50% father. I shot birds with this rig and they're harder to track than swimmers because they move in more than one direction. D300 has 3D tracking mode on the AF when set to CAF. You'll be impressed. Make sure you get the two ring model for the 80-200, not the AFS ($$$) and not the push pull zoom (too slow).

Good luck.
  17. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Perhaps you should post question on canikon forum

I think you are asking for an opinion that would be best asked on a Canon or Nikon forum. Lots of us have shot with these cameras but not many of us have shot with both of your intended purchases.:doh: Just saying.
  18. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Agreed, however, a lot of people here have experience with more than one system, and experience with m43, so I thought I'd ask here.
  19. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Several posters have commented about how much more expensive the 7D is than a D7000, but you can easily pick up a decent used 7D for under $800. With a little patience, you can get them for under $700.