Nikon/NX2 Users - Your Experience?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dohearne, Apr 28, 2013.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    One week into my OMD experience and I am in a huge debate with myself on PP. Prior to the OMD my Nikon centric processing was to ingest, sort, and keyword files in Photo Mechanic and then do the majority of my PP with Capture NX2. On some images I would export tiffs and do external NIK or HDR work.

My initial thought was to again use Photo Mechanic upfront, do further adjustments in OV3, and then export a Tiff for any further processing. I like very much the in camera processing of the OMD and the similar raw processing available in OV3. However, OV3 does not import my keywords and strips all EXIF data when a 16 bit Tiff is saved.

I am trialing LR Beta 5 and thanks to profiles I discovered here I can come close to OV3 raw conversion. I also have PSE 10 and have used it to also do the raw conversion (same ACR as LR) and then save out as 16 bit tiff.

My present direction is to still use Photo Mechanic for both my Nikon and OMD ingest, etc. Then import all keepers into LR and finally learn how to use it.

Are there other options and what is the experience of others coming from Nikon/NX2?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Why use Photo Mechanic if you're going to use LightRoom, which is arguably one of the most powerful DAM (digital asset managenet, i.e. keywording, tagging, building a searchable, indexed library) packages available?

3. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Fair Question

Your question about abandoning Photo Mechanic is a fair one. I may yet abandon but recognize I have almost a decade of images organized using Photo Mechanic as part of my workflow. Photo Mechanic's key wording ability is at least as good as LR and it renders previews faster than LR on ingest. All of the key wording and ratings of PM are passed to LR on import. And I have absolutely no problem sorting and finding images several years back because of: my file structure, key wording, and I use a Mac. I may decide to utilize the "all in one" benefits of LR but the first priority is to get a suitable and efficient raw edit workflow now that I have mixed origins of raw files.

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I didn't go from Nikon to Olympus......I use both cameras. When I had only my Nikon cameras, I used NX2 most of the time to do my post-processing. During that time, I also started using Lightroom (Version 2) - both to organize my images and also to do some post-processing.

I found that, with each new version (3, then 4....) Lightroom's Develop module did a better and better job on my NEFs (or perhaps I just got better at using Lightroom), so I found myself using NX2 less and less. Once I got into m43 as well (Olympus OMD), Lightroom became the natural choice to use, since it recognizes both formats (NEF and ORF). I also own a Canon P&S (G11) that Lightroom also supports (CR2). Plus Lightroom allows me to have image files from all these formats in one catalog.

So, now I use Lightroom 99.9% of the time, and rarely fire up NX2.

Since you have so much invested (keywords, etc) into Photo Mechanic, you could continue to use that as your front-end "ingester", but use Lightroom for your editing. Lightroom will at least provide some consistency in your workflow, if you'r still using your Nikon along with your OMD.

5. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Bert thanks for sharing your experience as it seems to mirror mine. BTW, nice VT images!