Nikon mount adapter question

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,

I have a question to ask for Nikon lenses.

I read that it is dangerous to mount pre-ai lenses to Nikon's new dslrs: like
D50-70-(not so new) 3000 ecc.

Question: with the normal Nikon to :43: adapter is this true?

What I mean is that the F mount should be the same but changes the distance from the end of the lens to the camera's sensor so the adapter should resolve this problem. Is that right or is my brain gome to holiday?

If the normal adapter is not the right one which should I use? Because I have some old non-ai lenses I would like to use on my Epl-1.

tam

Mu-43 Regular
Any nikon adapter on mu43 will be fine with any nikon f mount lens*

Here's a pic of my pre-Ai 50mm/2 on my G1:

29119_392499397045_543287045_4611272_2567897_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can mount pre-Ai lenses on lower end nikon DSLRs - anything that doesn't drive AF lenses or read off the aperture ring. E.g. I've put the pre-ai lenses on a D40. Though of course they won't meter, full manual only. They DO meter on mu43 cameras though, of course (though no focus confirmation, which you do get on the D40 - but focussing is easier on the G1 in any case, and I'd rather have the metering!).

*except some of the really obscure fisheyes where the rear element's inside the camera body and you needed to lock the mirror up.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you for your reply and for answering my question.

Lucille will be very happy.:smile:

I had a D50 so I was told not to mount pre-ai lenses.

I own the 28 2.8 ais - 50 1.8 ais and the wonderfull 200 f4 ais. Also some pre-ai lenses which now I can use as soon as my adapter arrives.

nokiamia

Mu-43 Regular
Something I just learnt from Prof Google, it seems that there are only 2 existing camera manufacturer that still sticks to 1 single mounting type: Nikon's f-mount and Pentax's k-mount. So any Nikon lens can fit onto any Nikon camera, or for our case, into any Nikon adapter to m4/3 mount.

tam

Mu-43 Regular
So any Nikon lens can fit onto any Nikon camera

Not strictly true. Some can damage newer DSLRs. E.g. pre-AI lenses on anything but the low end nikons. Though they can be easily converted to AI.

or for our case, into any Nikon adapter to m4/3 mount.

Yes this is correct for practical purposes. Again to be strictly correct, there are (very) obscure fisheyes that protrude back into the camera body, so you would need to carefully check they won't hit the shutter/sensor. It's unlikely in the extreme you'd be trying to mount one of these on a mu43 cam anyhow!

E.g. this Nikon 7.5mm f/5.6 Fisheye

Latest threads

Top Bottom