Nikon micro 105mm 2.8D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Ward, May 6, 2012.

1. Ward

Ward New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have the E-M5 with the 12-50mm. I'm impressed with the macro function of the lens but I will buy an adaptor so I can use my Nikon micro 105mm 2.8D. I also have some other old macro stuff I want to try here. I guess I'll get 2:1 magnification with the 105mm. Can somebody tell me what magnification I will get with the following combinations on my E-M5:
    - Nikon 105mm + Nikon close-up 4T
    - Nikon PN-11 + Nikon 105mm
    - Nikon PN-11 + Nikon 105mm + Nikon close-up 4T
    - bellows PB-6 + Nikon 105mm

Many thanks.

Ward

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    First, the lens by itself will focus to 1:1 not 2:1.
    Because of the long extension built into the lens, the 4T or PN-11 will get you closer, but not a lot closer.
    With the bellows at full extension I believe you'll get up to about 3:1.

Fred

3. Ward

Ward New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks, but as the sensor is smaller than FF 1:1 should be larger when printed won't it?

Ward

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    For me, 1:1 on the sensor is 1:1 no matter what the format size. When you print you're "enlarging" the captured image. The printed image has it's own reproduction ratio.

For example, if you print a m4/3 1:1 capture as an 8x10 you're enlarging approximately 16x. That gives you a 16:1 reproduction ratio. you could fill a "full frame" with the same image at a 2:1 reproduction ratio, then print the same 8x10 with only 8x enlargement. The final reproduction ratio is still 16:1.

Basically, 1:1 is life size on the sensor no matter what the sensor size is: 2/3, 4/3, APS, full frame, medium format, large format scanning back, whatever. It's just not the same as equivalent field of view from one format to another. It's something that came out of the mind of Olympus' marketing department.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Excellent explanation Fred, very well stated.