1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon m43 camera?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Yves D., Jan 27, 2010.

1. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Hi,

I think this is interesting:

Thom Hogan 2010 predictions. (Excerpt.)

"Finally, the low level cameras. It's clear to me that the future of low-end DSLR-like cameras is mirrorless. The Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 efforts are good enough to prove that not just to me, but to the buying public, too: despite higher prices, they took significant market share last year. But the funny thing is this: the Olympus E-P1 and Panasonic GF1 are actually targeted too high! A lot of their sales appeal has come from higher end photographers grabbing them as "more competent compacts." The true place for mirrorless is in the gap between something like a Nikon P90 and a Nikon D5000. And that's exactly where Nikon appears to be targeting with their mirrorless entry. That means smaller sensor, smaller body, smaller price. "
    http://www.bythom.com/

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I think we have some spam!!

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Spam in aisle 3!

I just reported it.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You beat me to it by a second, guys !

5. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Response

I am not commenting on whether this is a troll or not.

Thom Hogan also predicated that the Nikon D700 (FF 12 megapixel) would be replaced with another FF camera of the same caliber years ago. If that came out, then I would have purchased that camera two years ago and been lugging around a bulky FF Nikon. Fortunately, he was wrong and I have my Olympus E PL2. And I adamantly disagree with his statement.

He was dead wrong with the Nikon prediciton and left the DPreview high end Nikon forum rather apologetically . Although he is an intelligent man, he does not have a crystal ball and his track record of making predictions is highly inaccurate.

Even so, as someone who really enjoys sharp photos, my days with DSLR's are over because I do think Micro Four Thirds camera with a proper lens represents high quality.:smile:

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Fastcar888, you missed a spam message that has since been deleted by our wonderful new mod team.

Cheers,

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    aawwww, man... where's the link to the college girls?

8. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks Maurve.

9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

New to m43, but old to Nikon

As a new mwmber, I have some thoughts about this subject to share:

1) Nikon has a track record of not listening to its users.
    2) Nikon first generation gear should best be reworked before being marketed, it tends to be poor in performance and over-marketed and late in market delivery.
    3) The tragedies in Japan promise to redirect photographic/electronic/manufacturing in the next two to five year time frame.
    4) Nikon just (November-December 2010) shipped their revolutionary Coolpix wonder, the P7000. This camera has to setback Nikon and promote both Canon and m43 vendors due to its very poor shutter lag. I own this camera and I tried many times to photograph a young puppy. I focused on her eyes and tripped the shutter. I received a blurred image of her tail much of the time as she could turn around several times before my shutter released.

With this said, I think that if and when Nikon builds a m43 camera, this will be a mirrorless D-format camera and it will take the third generation of this camera to be worth real consideration of purchase by a serious user. This means the whole world has a whole lot of tme to await the release of a good Nikon m43 competitive product.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Tom

10. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome! You are the first new "mwmber" we have had for a while. :wink:

Not having used Nikon gear for many, many years I cannot speak to their latest efforts on usability. However they have shown excellent work in the sensor department based on test results I have seen. I would never count them out.

I doubt they would jump on the m4/3 bandwagon - they do have a propensity to go their own way when it comes to technology.

The last rumors I heard had Nikon coming out soon with a 2.5 crop sensor camera.

Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | More rumors about the "Nikon Coolpix PRO" mirrorless coming in April

If true this could be their attempt to carve out some of the successful MFT market without cannibalizing their DSLRs.

11. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Narnian,

Thanks. You forgot to acknowledge that I am a new DOUBLE "MWMBER". I wish I knew how to remove my double post in error. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Oh yes. is typing correctly a requirement for m43 forum membership? Your Nikon comments are accurate from my experience. I started shooting Nikon in 1964.

Enjoy your day,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  12. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Just edit the second post and you will have the option to delete it.

13. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Richard, I did as you suggested and it worked. Voila!

Regards,
    Tom

14. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I was actually reading this the other day:

2011 Predictions by Thom Hogan

There's some interesting stuff and he covers every brand for the most part.

15. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I'm reasonably new here, and a recent convert from Nikon, but I haven't yet received my mwmbership card. :)

16. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    It's in the mwail.....

Cheers, Alan