Nikon lenses on M43 bodies

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Christine, you have, what WNG in another forum calls a "lens Harum." I too had same habit...tried Olys, rare Pentaxes and suddently stood up...and admitted, me Amature, me do not need all this...so sold non Nikkors and now live with three Nikkors. (50/14, 35/2, 135 28) and relax plus one old waterproof point and shoot and relax for quick snaps. The Nikkors are "habit lenses, working will with the A6300 or ole GX1...and I smile...easily. the old 35/2 is most used and I do not misss one lens. Love me back.

Yes, and since I started this thread the "harum" has grown considerably. :blush:
Nikon, Canon FD a little Minolta. I mostly use Olympus lenses these days, with my E-M1.2

Regards, C.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
You chose OLy for size? I had an exquisite 38mm 40 Zuiko but never cozied up to its renderings.
My three NIkkor glass lenses are heavy and bulky in front of adaptors but "have it."

And simple works for me.
"Simple doing is easy, but very difficult to explain. Seems simple is best in the beginnning and always later."

C'est Le bateau - old Nikkor 50/1.4 or 135mm but was (tri@200) film-snap.

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
You chose OLy for size? I had an exquisite 38mm 40 Zuiko but never cozied up to its renderings.
My three NIkkor glass lenses are heavy and bulky in front of adaptors but "have it."

And simple works for me.
"Simple doing is easy, but very difficult to explain. Seems simple is best in the beginnning and always later."

C'est Le bateau - old Nikkor 50/1.4 but was (tri@200) film-snap.

I chose Olympus for various reasons. Weight is indeed one of them. Also the Nikon lens catalog is scattered with quite a few lenses that contain thorium to one degree or another (not wanting to open that discussion here). Mostly the Olympus lenses feel good to me. My favorite is actual a very lowly lens: the 75-150 4.0 It is not well regarded but I love it.

Regards, C.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I chose Olympus for various reasons. Weight is indeed one of them. Also the Nikon lens catalog is scattered with quite a few lenses that contain thorium to one degree or another (not wanting to open that discussion here). Mostly the Olympus lenses feel good to me. My favorite is actual a very lowly lens: the 75-150 4.0 It is not well regarded but I love it.

Regards, C.
Don't think the thorium/radio active lenses are that dangerous if you don't sleep with them. Lots of other things in the environment that are perilous too. Auto exhaust, all kinds of viruses, chemicals in foodstuff, and so on. Just my five cents... ☢

Last edited:

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
OP some, WNG on E-mount forum, might say you have a "habit harum." I was there, went simple to 3-4 Nikkors and sat back. Had the spendy Pentax 135/2.5 and went back to lumbering Nikkor...never saw a memorable 135. (I carry a wee P&I for quick and snaps, so am happy clumo with simple, but then that is me; collecting has a place, just like simple.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Since I first posted this my lens collection has.... "grown" a bit :) For me it's partly the excitement of discovery and exploration. When it really comes down to it though, the "80/20 rule" applies: For 80% of my pictures I use 20% of my lenses.

Regards, C.

jonw

New to Mu-43
A great option for a fast telephoto for an EM5 or EM1 is the Nikkor 180ED2.8 AI-S. My copy is ugly as sin and has been badly abused, but the images compare favorably with any of my modern zooms:

View attachment 748741
EM5mkii with Nikkor 180ED2.8 at f4, ISO 100 and 1/30s.

The stabilizer works wonders on this lens! One recommendation though: At 2.8, this lens has a very thin depth of field and it is very easy to miss-focus and not realize it (shot just looks disappointingly soft). At any aperture, I prefer to use high speed burst with electronic shutter. Rack the focus close (but slightly front-focused), then hold down for a burst while slowly shifting focus out. If you are close to start with and you rack it slowly enough, you will get at least one or two shots dead-on. Then, after your shooting session, simply flip through your shots, lock the ones that are in focus, then erase (NOT FORMAT) the card. All of your locked shots will remain. With practice, this technique works fast and reliably... just don't forget to lock ALL of your shots you want to save ;-)
Which adapter do you use?

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Which adapter do you use?
Dig...have beat up 35mm Nikkor 2.0 that is or was my fave...but an snuggling up to a small Nikkor 1.8 lately...very sharp..both, though one is wider.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Lately been using 50x1.8 pancake NIkkor...sharp one...and way smaller than 1.4/50.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson

Regards, C.
Durability is also important...some Zuikos fail, few Nikkor tanks fail. Just have to have mind set....having said that, I also understand it is not hard to want to try other lenses either, urge is always there.

Last edited:

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Hi @connloyalist, just discovered your thread. I am using an E-M5 II.
I have just bought a Viltrox Speedbooster, Nikon-F to m4/3. Because it was half the price of their Canon EF version. And I wanted something to reduce the focal length of my long tele lenses. OM, M42, and T2 mounts.
I don't actually have a Nikon lens, though have been looking at the 500/8 reflex which with the Speedbooster would become a much more user friendly 350mm f/5.6.
I have a small collection of OM lenses, but they are difficult to adapt to the Ni-F speedbooster.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
I missed a few bids on the smc.m 135/3.5, then was the only bidder on a 150/3.5 from the same Pentax-M vintage. Just a pinch larger and includes a slide-out hood.
Frankly, never noted much diff tween 135s. Had a noteable 2.5. 5 element Pentax which was nice but preferred my plain-Jane Nikkor, so sold the Pentax and its sister 1.4/50 and never regretted or missed them. They also seem to make me nervous when using them...neither were radioactive.

Real Name
Roddy
#1 = The Nikon-E 100mm F2.8 - even with a nikon to M4/3 adapter it is small - and you get a fast 200mm equivalent lens
I'm not sure this is correct. I thought this too earlier this year when I started a thread about Canon lenses, only to be reprimanded for my sins. A 100mm lens from any other system is still 100mm when mounted to an mu4/3 body. Technically-minded people will explain better why this is so :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not sure this is correct. I thought this too earlier this year when I started a thread about Canon lenses, only to be reprimanded for my sins. A 100mm lens from any other system is still 100mm when mounted to an mu4/3 body. Technically-minded people will explain better why this is so :)

Yes, the focal length of the lens stays the same 100mm, no matter what camera you put it on. Presuming you use a non-optical adapter.
What does change is the magnification.
m4/3 has a 25mm normal lens, so the 100mm lens is a 4x lens on a m4/3 camera.
FF has a 50mm normal lens, so the 100mm lens is a 2x lens on a FF camera.
I personally find it easier to think in terms of magnification, than the often used and sometimes confusing "full frame equivalent" focal length.

If you use a speed converter, the optics change the magnification.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Well, for one thing focal length is what it is, no matter the maker...the ? is really, for most of us, more detail. (resolution). I, for one, do not subscribe to that so much....Adams and Cartier-Bresson and a few more might be good examples.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Yes, the focal length of the lens stays the same 100mm, no matter what camera you put it on. Presuming you use a non-optical adapter.
What does change is the magnification.
m4/3 has a 25mm normal lens, so the 100mm lens is a 4x lens on a m4/3 camera.
FF has a 50mm normal lens, so the 100mm lens is a 2x lens on a FF camera.
I personally find it easier to think in terms of magnification, than the often used and sometimes confusing "full frame equivalent" focal length.

If you use a speed converter, the optics change the magnification.
Dig. I, on the other hand, seek a pleasing grab, is all.
"If it looks good, it is good." sort of frame of mind...if the frame fits...

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Dig. I, on the other hand, seek a pleasing grab, is all.
"If it looks good, it is good." sort of frame of mind...if the frame fits...

Right now, for example and considering I use adapted lenses, I am torn between the A6300 and my ancient GX1, but admit to a deep fondness for the focus system on the Sony rig.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
All of my Nikon AI-S, E series, and D lenses work great on my Olympus Micro 4/3 bodies. The E series lenses are a good ergonomic match for Micro 4/3 because they are so small and compact.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom