1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Lenses for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bipinsnair, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I couldn't find an exact answer, so I would like to ask if anyone is using Nikon lenses on OM-D.I would specifically like to know what adapter can be used.I am looking to see if the 85 1.4 D,50 1.8 D, 70-200 VR1 and 24-70 2.8 G can be attached to OM-D and whether or not autofocus work with these lenses when attached using adapter.I read somewhere that G lenses cannot be attached.Any thoughts !!

2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    You can purchase a G adaptor from Amazon. Just do a search Nikon M43 G Adapter.

However, it will NOT auto-focus. Using an adapter means strictly manual focus. What the G adapter provides you (vs a non-G) is aperture control - sort of. The G adapter has an aperture ring that controls the lenses aperture - it's an estimate however, since there are no f/stop values visible in the viewfinder or LCD, nor are they printed on the adapter's aperture ring.

I use my adapter with the 10.5 fisheye. I haven't tried it with other Nikon lenses, but I'm sure that it would work.

3. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks Bert.
    Do you know of any adapter which gets the autofocus work?

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Not sure. But here's a very pricey adapter (around $250) whereas, most adapters are in the $25-$30 range. And I don't think it allows AF to work either.

If you don't mind MF, get one of the cheaper adapters listed here. If you absolutely have to have AF, I think you're out of luck.

5. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'm currently playing with the 50/1.8D, 35/2 and Tamron 100/2.8 macro using a Rainbow Imaging adapter. They work fine, no autofocus and aperture control is on the lens. As previously stated, you'll need a G adapter for your G lenses, which has a lever to control aperture- you can't control aperture from the camera. There is no way I know of to get autofocus with adapted non-Oly lenses on an E-M5.

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    No, no, no, that (pricey) adapter does not allow AF to work neither !
    AFAIK (and I use a lot of Nikkor glass), NO adapter will allow AF functionality !

C U
    Rafael

7. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Yes, I was kinda hoping that there will be something that allow autofocus.
    Even though I can probably get used to manual focusing, for street shooting it will be a pain.Right now I use Oly 45 for streets, but I like a little longer reach and can't really buy Oly 75 now, so I was trying to make use of the Nikon 85 instead.I would like the autofocus, but for $30 or so, I think it is a good deal and nice to have one that you listed.Thanks once again.:smile:

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you want to use Nikon AF you need a Nikon body!

Personally I'm using the Lensbaby tilt transformer, but it's a VERY tight fit on the E-M5.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Auto focus is out for adapted lenses - except the four-thirds ones and they focus very slowly and are not always accurate{from what I have heard}. The Nikon 1 system does allow the use of Nikkor AF-S lenses however{and they supposedly focus very well because of the hybrid AF Nikon used}.

As for using G lenses on those adaptors - I hate it. They have a ring that will allow you to adjust the aperture BUT you have to guess as to what f-stop you are at{except at the ends}. The rings are also easy to bump and thus pop out of the f-stop you wanted. Nikkor pre-AF as well as AF-D lenses work great however. I have found some adaptors focus beyond infinity so be careful.

For street shooting you could try using the old "zone focus" method.

http://www.beyondmegapixels.com/2012/03/zone-focus-explained/

http://www.basiccameraphotography.com/controlling_image/zone_focusing.php

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.