1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon Lenses for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bipinsnair, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I couldn't find an exact answer, so I would like to ask if anyone is using Nikon lenses on OM-D.I would specifically like to know what adapter can be used.I am looking to see if the 85 1.4 D,50 1.8 D, 70-200 VR1 and 24-70 2.8 G can be attached to OM-D and whether or not autofocus work with these lenses when attached using adapter.I read somewhere that G lenses cannot be attached.Any thoughts !!

2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    You can purchase a G adaptor from Amazon. Just do a search Nikon M43 G Adapter.

However, it will NOT auto-focus. Using an adapter means strictly manual focus. What the G adapter provides you (vs a non-G) is aperture control - sort of. The G adapter has an aperture ring that controls the lenses aperture - it's an estimate however, since there are no f/stop values visible in the viewfinder or LCD, nor are they printed on the adapter's aperture ring.

I use my adapter with the 10.5 fisheye. I haven't tried it with other Nikon lenses, but I'm sure that it would work.

3. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks Bert.
    Do you know of any adapter which gets the autofocus work?

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Not sure. But here's a very pricey adapter (around $250) whereas, most adapters are in the $25-$30 range. And I don't think it allows AF to work either.

If you don't mind MF, get one of the cheaper adapters listed here. If you absolutely have to have AF, I think you're out of luck.

5. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'm currently playing with the 50/1.8D, 35/2 and Tamron 100/2.8 macro using a Rainbow Imaging adapter. They work fine, no autofocus and aperture control is on the lens. As previously stated, you'll need a G adapter for your G lenses, which has a lever to control aperture- you can't control aperture from the camera. There is no way I know of to get autofocus with adapted non-Oly lenses on an E-M5.

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    No, no, no, that (pricey) adapter does not allow AF to work neither !
    AFAIK (and I use a lot of Nikkor glass), NO adapter will allow AF functionality !

C U
    Rafael

7. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Yes, I was kinda hoping that there will be something that allow autofocus.
    Even though I can probably get used to manual focusing, for street shooting it will be a pain.Right now I use Oly 45 for streets, but I like a little longer reach and can't really buy Oly 75 now, so I was trying to make use of the Nikon 85 instead.I would like the autofocus, but for $30 or so, I think it is a good deal and nice to have one that you listed.Thanks once again.:smile:

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you want to use Nikon AF you need a Nikon body!

Personally I'm using the Lensbaby tilt transformer, but it's a VERY tight fit on the E-M5.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Auto focus is out for adapted lenses - except the four-thirds ones and they focus very slowly and are not always accurate{from what I have heard}. The Nikon 1 system does allow the use of Nikkor AF-S lenses however{and they supposedly focus very well because of the hybrid AF Nikon used}.

As for using G lenses on those adaptors - I hate it. They have a ring that will allow you to adjust the aperture BUT you have to guess as to what f-stop you are at{except at the ends}. The rings are also easy to bump and thus pop out of the f-stop you wanted. Nikkor pre-AF as well as AF-D lenses work great however. I have found some adaptors focus beyond infinity so be careful.

For street shooting you could try using the old "zone focus" method.

http://www.beyondmegapixels.com/2012/03/zone-focus-explained/

http://www.basiccameraphotography.com/controlling_image/zone_focusing.php