1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon lens with GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shockaaa, Apr 12, 2012.

1. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    That one won't work, you need something with a aperture control, otherwise you'll be stuck at f/22.

You won't have AF, no IS and it'll be pretty unbalanced.

I'll save your pennies and pick up a Panasonic 45-200. It's not that much more expensive than the adapter above.

If you want to experiment. There are cheaper options.

http://bit.ly/I7t6E4

3. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    thanks for the quick reply...lol I don't think I'll be getting either for a while. I just spent 400 bucks camera with the 14mm lens. Still getting used to this camera, coming from a PS Canon SD750. :smile:

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's definitely not one of the lenses that's worth adapting; it's one of Nikon's cheapest telephoto lenses.

5. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Even though it's one of Nikon's cheapest current tele lenses, it does hold its own. Biggest complaint Thom Hogan had is corner softness and vignetting which doesn't matter when mounted on a M43 lens.

http://bythom.com/55200lens.htm

6. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Ya I can't complain about the 55-200 lens either. It was on sale and sold as a kit. :p My dad got along with a 18-55 lens

7. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Wouldn't the 75-240mm be a better choice? I like it a lot! It's cheap, small, light and IQ is wonderful. Plus, it has an aperture ring on it. Recent photograph from it (used on a G1):

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/veeresh_ai/7063122425/" title="Kabutar by Veeresh_ai, on Flickr"> 7063122425_cd320f8577_z. "640" height="486" alt="Kabutar"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  8. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I don't think people looking to buy new lenses for their m43s should buy the DX AFS lenses. Lack of aperture ring is one issue but in practice not that big a deal with the right adapter, the bigger issue is that they are not really designed for manual focus, and have really tiny focusing rings.

But if you already have access to one, might as well give it a shot.

I tried the adapted telephoto thing with my Nikkor 70-300 ED, ended up buying a Olympus 40-150 shortly there after.

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I know the 55-200mm VR very well; I own it and used it extensively, sometimes when I would get a call for a job and didn't feel like lugging into work to grab all the Canon L gear, it was bright outside, and I knew that I didn't need especially crazy subject isolation. It definitely delivers image quality far beyond its costs, but it's not a good choice. It has no aperture ring so you need one of the more expensive adapters for it, dinky manual focusing, and, since it's a DX lens, designed for Nikon's APS-C sensor cameras, you'd be using more of the border than with most adapted lenses (which would only really hurt you at the short end and wider open, but still). If you're putting up with all of that, plus the rinky f/3.5-5.6 aperture, you might as well spend just a little more money and get a native lens that autofocuses, auto-stopdowns, has aperture adjustment in camera, and is smaller.

One could simply buy the Olympus 40-150mm for $170:
    Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Micro ED Digital Zoom Lens (Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty
    Or the Panasonic 45-200mm for $200:
    Amazon.com: Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Lumix G Vario MEGA OIS Zoom Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Camera & Photo

That 75-240mm is a decent value, but I wouldn't buy an adapter specifically for it. If you have a Nikon kit already however, don't hesitate to add it to your collection. The story of that lens is really interesting; it is a very good optical design lens, but came out just before the digital SLR age, when people were expecting their lenses to be nice and metal. This plastic lens came out with a mediocre aperture and the god-forsaken "Made in China" label, and people were all over it unfairly. It has solid performance throughout its range, and coupled with a 3T or 4T diopter, it becomes a decently respectable macro.

10. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Indeed, and I was inspired by naturecloseups' work here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/pen-e-pl1-cheap-thrills-4709/

I plan to take it out for another run tomorrow morning, but this time I want to use it with a Marumi +3 DHG achromat and see how it performs.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He's the one that turned me on to that side use of the lens; I follow his recommendation threads religiously! I have some Schneider enlarging lenses collecting dust in my closet, and I want to do this with them:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/enlarging-lens-macro-rig-15778/
    I'm sure that your Marumi will provide near-identical results to the Nikon or any other respected diopter.

12. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    The OP wouldn't be buying the lens. His dad has it, so he wants to use it once in a while. So his outlay would be 20 bucks vs 170 for the Olympus 40-150.

It's not a little more money, it's quite a bit more money. Besides once you have an adapter, you can buy better MF lenses.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, his outlay would be $80 for an aperture-control capable adapter, versus $170 for a full-compatibility lens. No contest. $90 in the grand scheme of things is not that much money. As mentioned, you also get precise aperture control, respectable-speed autofocus, and size. Bottom-of-the-line APS kit lenses aren't worth adapting. /endthread

14. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    No it's 20 dollars. I have the link above. I also bought one for 20. It'll work with both G lenses and AI lenses. I have both kinds, they both work fine.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A Nikon G adapter will do the trick. The Fotodiox one is supposed to be decent (Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type lens to MFT Micro 4/3 four thirds cameras, Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, E-P1, E-PL2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Camera & Photo). Aperture control is a little weird, but you figure it out after a while. The main problem is simply handling - it's a long lens, and the GF2 is a small body. Add the fact that people tend to hold it at arms length to see the LCD and it makes holding the combo steady rather tough.

DH