Nikon lens advice please.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I want to go down the macro route with Nikon.

I used to be a Nikon man years ago but now I am rusty regarding the mounts etc.

To that end I have located a Micro Nikor 55mm f 3.5..........
    55mm F3.5 AI Micro by Nikon - Ffordes Photographic

Extension tube PK-13...............
    Extension Tube PK13 by Nikon - Ffordes Photographic

And a Photodiox adaptor..............
    Fotodiox Pro adapter, Nikon Lens to MFT Micro 4: Electronics

Question......Will they all work together, manually, and fit my E-M5.
    Also will the adaptor hold the diphragm open at max prior to stopping down.

If the above combination will not work what do I need to fit that lens to my E-M5
  2. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    The 55mm micro Nikkor is fantastic. (see the thread with picture samples taken using this lens).

To answer your question, the lens (actually, virtually all adapted legacy lenses) will behave like a manual diaphragm lens. The adapter is just a tube with no other linkage to your lens. You'll need to manually open for focusing, then stop down for metering and actual picture taking.

3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    It's not the same lens, it's not PC, does that make a difference.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    PC is the earlier version (P = Penta - 5 elements, C = coated) pre-AI version. The AI version is functionally and optically identical to the PC version.

Regarding adapters, the Fotodiox is fine, but any $10 eBay adapter from China/Hong Kong will work, if you want to save a little money.

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium

the 55 Micro is a superb lens, but it's usefulness depends on what you want to shoot ! For living insects, I find it too short a focal length. But for flowers, excellent !
    I have bad experience with the Fotodiox adapters : they didn't reach infinity with my Nikkor lenses ... maybe a minor fault if you're looking at macro-lenses, but will you use the adapter for other lenses too ??

C U
  6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    No, the Fotodiox will only be used for 55mm.

I have a Fotodiox adaptor for 2 OM lenses and it seems to work just fine, that's why I selected it.
  7. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I really, really like my 55/3.5. Its great for flowers and other small things that don't run away, you've got to be really close due to the focal length. Its also perfectly acceptable for non-macro work, at least IMO. And once you get the adapter you man as well get a 105/2.5 :biggrin:

Here's a flower shot: