Nikon J1 two lens kit for $199 (refurb)

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Well, my silver J1 arrived today. With the 10mm f/2.8 on it, it's virtually the exact same size as my E-PM2 with the Panny 14mm f/2.5 on it. But the built-in flash makes a bit of real-world difference and I have high hopes for the phase-detection auto focus mode. It's a cool little package and we'll see how it works out at the Monster-Mania Convention in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, next weekend.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah the 10mm is small. The 18 isn't bad either and makes the J sing.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's only marginally bigger than a EPM1 with the 14mm.

I recently received the 18.5 f1.8 lens and took the J1 out for a spin at a concert taking available light photos. Acceptable pictures, but it doesn't have the magic of the EM5 sensor. The J1 is a good kit but for the prices, they are charging, I think mu43 is a better deal.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
The J1 is a good kit but for the prices, they are charging, I think mu43 is a better deal.
The J1 can be bought for $199 with lenses covering an effective focal range from 28mm-300!!!!!!! I'm not sure what you can buy in m43 for anywhere near that price that covers that range.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recently received the 18.5 f1.8 lens and took the J1 out for a spin at a concert taking available light photos. Acceptable pictures, but it doesn't have the magic of the EM5 sensor. The J1 is a good kit but for the prices, they are charging, I think mu43 is a better deal.
Agree 100%, the sensor is more or less equal to the first gen Oly sensor. It is completely outclassed by the 16mp sensor in every category. That said, the EM5 can't keep up with action nearly as well as the J1 can. A clean file is worth nothing if its out of focus.

norazi

Mu-43 Rookie
if im going 1" sensor, its going to be rx100 all the way.. i see them going for as low as $350

i think i would rather have a g3/gf3/pm1 if i was on a budget for a system camera

The J1 can be bought for $199 with lenses covering an effective focal range from 28mm-300!!!!!!! I'm not sure what you can buy in m43 for anywhere near that price that covers that range.
The J1 is an older, discontinued model that was on clearance at a blowout price. Have you seen the prices for other Nikon 1 system gear? I was referring to the system as a whole? Compare the price of a current model Nikon 1 with a current model mu43 - that was my point. Also, I disagree with "the J1 can be bought with" because THE DEAL IS OVER.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Well, that was fast. I checked out the J1 operation a bit - and it's not bad at all. But, for the purposes I was buying it for, I realized the 18.5mm prime was a must and that adds $189 to the $249 I paid for the J1 kit. And that's too much given the niche use I had planned for it. There are other cameras and equipment that I will use more often that I can put that money toward. So back it went to B&H. I'm not typically a fickle buyer. But I purchased the J1 kit quickly, thinking the few remaining new kits won't last much longer. But the decision-making process had clearly not been completed. Now, it has. The J1 is still a great little camera - especially at current prices. But it overlaps with too much of the gear I already have.

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, that was fast. I checked out the J1 operation a bit - and it's not bad at all. But, for the purposes I was buying it for, I realized the 18.5mm prime was a must and that adds $189 to the $249 I paid for the J1 kit. And that's too much given the niche use I had planned for it. There are other cameras and equipment that I will use more often that I can put that money toward. So back it went to B&H. I'm not typically a fickle buyer. But I purchased the J1 kit quickly, thinking the few remaining new kits won't last much longer. But the decision-making process had clearly not been completed. Now, it has. The J1 is still a great little camera - especially at current prices. But it overlaps with too much of the gear I already have.
These are basically my conclusions with the J1 too. The 18.5mm is a really nice little lens, my only complaint is the DOF is still not shallow enough at f/1.8 on Nikon 1.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom