Nikon J1 two lens kit for $199 (refurb)

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
It actually blows me away that you can create your own custom curve with (almost) as many points as you want, as opposed to the standard 'Contrast' setting in most cameras. This will be great for color and especially B&W.

I have never owned a Nikon (besides 2 days with V1 before), so was totally unfamiliar with NPC. Hopefully it's not (too) hard to choose these modes once they're in the camera.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have never owned a Nikon (besides 2 days with V1 before), so was totally unfamiliar with NPC. Hopefully it's not (too) hard to choose these modes once they're in the camera.
Oh, it will be hard. The controls on the One series are the devil. The camera does the unthinkable and makes you leave it alone and work on your artistic skills!

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
I find it extremely hard to believe this camera doesn't offer an in-camera HDR mode, with its high FPS. That would seem like a no-brainer...

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
If I had any use whatsoever for this, including a young photographer who doesn't want to be bothered with exposure issues to give it to, I'd be all over this deal, because the 30-110 lens alone is worth at least $125, but I can't come up with a single thing I would choose to use this for compared to either my Lumix ZS8 super zoom compact or my E-PL5.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I find it extremely hard to believe this camera doesn't offer an in-camera HDR mode, with its high FPS. That would seem like a no-brainer...
The camera is full of things like that. What's more frustrating/baffling is the fact that Nikon could have made this camera a STAR with firmware updates. The hardware is there, the software is so gimped.

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
The only thing I can think of is that the design group for this camera was completely driven by the soccer mom focus groups. Focus groups are a good source of input, but the feedback should inform your design decisions, not make the decisions for you.

Probably some soccer moms said HDR was a confusing term- Does it mean HD? Why is there an 'R'?- so they left HDR out.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Nikon did better than Canon. The AF on the EOS M when it was first released was so bad it boggled the mind. It then took them almost a year to release a firmware upgrade to make it acceptable. All this in a small camera with an 18 MP APS-C sensor and a nice touch screen interface. These cameras have so much promise since they come from good camera companies. My friend has this very J1 kit and I've tried it. it's a much more functional system than the EOS M, even after the firmware upgrade for the latter.

The camera is full of things like that. What's more frustrating/baffling is the fact that Nikon could have made this camera a STAR with firmware updates. The hardware is there, the software is so gimped.
Weird that they haven't addressed stuff like that in a firmware update. I know other manufacturers, after seeing the success of mu43, were scrambling to ready their own mirrorless offerings a few years ago, so I can understand limited functionality when the camera first came out. But its been a while so you would think they would have added new features like HDR.

Speaking of firmware, is anyone hacking the Nikon 1 firmware, ala CHDK (Canon P&S), Magic Lantern (Canon EOS), or Personal View (Panasonic mu43)?

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
Just got mine, pleasantly surprised so far! I think expectations are a big part of it. Maybe I was hoping for more out of the V1 since it has a more pro-style body. The J1 has the same controls but in a little PnS body. I leave it in Aperture Priority mode with auto-ISO to minimize the menu diving. I agree with general consensus that the sensor seems to relatively match the first gen Micro 4/3 sensor.

The 30-110mm seems like a cracker, the kit zoom is good in good light. They both have good build quality and nice design. I will look around for a 18.5mm. Also having fun trying out different custom picture controls I downloaded.

And all this for $199 is a GREAT deal.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Glad you can bear it :biggrin: Was yours brand new looking as well? Did either of you guys check shutter counts? Mine was at two.

Both lenses are really nice for what they are. The 18.5 makes the camera sing though.

Make sure you try out the picture controls. ViewNX2 lets you alter the profiles plus has some cool Nikon specific stuff, and its downright fast. A couple of my favorite features are hitting the shift key and it zooms to wherever your mouse is and the fact that is shows the focus point of the camera.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I received mine last week, looks as good as new. I had also ordered an adapter for my nikon F/G mount lenses, but am seriously disappointed that the camera doesn't meter/work in A mode with manual lenses like they do with micro4/3 cameras. Probably going to sell mine as I don't want to fork over double the money just to try the FT-1 adapter. Anyone interested in a J1/10-30mm kit plus bag for $130?!

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
Mine has a couple of really small scuffs on the body, but totally acceptable for a refurb.

I found a 18.5mm for around $150, I agree that lens is really necessary to make the system. Otherwise those variable aperture zooms just compound the smaller sensor size. I personally dislike shooting with even the 14-42 Micro 4/3 zooms.

I am considering using this as my main shooter, for the silent shutter and AF tracking with the tele (my daughters ride horses), if I like the 18.5mm (from what I've read I'm sure I will.)

I received mine last week, looks as good as new. I had also ordered an adapter for my nikon F/G mount lenses, but am seriously disappointed that the camera doesn't meter/work in A mode with manual lenses like they do with micro4/3 cameras. Probably going to sell mine as I don't want to fork over double the money just to try the FT-1 adapter. Anyone interested in a J1/10-30mm kit plus bag for $130?!
There is a smart adapter now available that allows you to shoot with manual lenses in A mode. In addition, you get a focusing aid that tells you if focus (with center point) is too close, too far, or in focus. The eBay seller is 'gfoto', there are people who have already started using it.

teddoman

Mu-43 Regular
For those of you mulling the idea of a J1 or V1, I am contemplating it (as a medium term purchase once I get done digesting some of the other stuff I bought recently) from the point of view of a budget supertele BIF camera to use in concert with native Nikon long glass like a telezoom. I have read about Nikon DX or FX shooters who use the Nikon 1 cameras for this purpose.

The crop factor is something like 2.7, so a 300mm lens becomes 810mm or so. That's LONG!!! All that with Nikon PDAF for tracking moving subjects.

I'm not one of the BIF shooters that only does birds. I'd get a D7100 for that. BUT I do think it could be fun to get casual BIF shots on a budget when I'm at the park or lake or whatever. And when you're not able to get any closer physically, a supertele could be pretty useful.

Even with the E-M1, I don't think m4/3 is really there yet in terms of focus speed and tracking. So that's where Nikon 1 + long glass could fill a niche.

Hopefully before too long, I'll pick up a V1 or J1 and pair it with my Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR which isn't the cheapest consumer telezoom but also isn't an expensive 2.8 telephoto lens. I've read from users that it pairs fine with Nikon 1. I'm kind of leaning towards a multi-body idea, since it would save me from changing lens too frequently with only the extra weight of the V1/J1 + FT1.

Glad you can bear it :biggrin: Was yours brand new looking as well? Did either of you guys check shutter counts? Mine was at two.

Both lenses are really nice for what they are. The 18.5 makes the camera sing though.

Make sure you try out the picture controls. ViewNX2 lets you alter the profiles plus has some cool Nikon specific stuff, and its downright fast. A couple of my favorite features are hitting the shift key and it zooms to wherever your mouse is and the fact that is shows the focus point of the camera.
Mine is brand new - not a mark on it. I took a jpeg and checked the shutter count and it was ... one. Phenomenal price. I missed an 18.5mm on ebay the other day. I have some ebay bucks coming in April so I must just buy a new one when those come through.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom