Nikon J1 in store impressions...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I had a chance this weekend at BestBuy to play with this camera. It had the 10-30 zoom lens on it. They had a pretty big display. At any rate, I spent about 10 minutes with the camera.

Pros-

-Well Built

-Fast focus. The Continuous AF was remarkably fast. Basically, when I was focusing from near to far or far to near, the object I was focusing on was in focus before I could frame and press the shutter. It also seemed pretty accurate too. Keep in mind the DOF is not as shallow as mFT. S-AF was really fast too, as fast as the E-PM1 I played with a few weekends ago. I think the CAF would actually be more useful.

- Controls are simple

Cons

-Too small for my hands.

-Back LCD was not as good IMHO as the E-PL2 which I own.

-No grip

-Kit lens is as big as Oly's collapsable kit lens

Without actually being able to take images home with me and look at IQ, most of my impressions are based on usability. If they have anything right, it's the CAF. However, From a mFT standpoint however, I just can't see any benefit to going to that format with the lenses the same size as mFT. The camera in hands felt awkward to me to use. I have not seen the V1 which is thicker. The J1 feels thinner than the E-PM1, which might make it slimmer with a pancake attached. I think Panasonic or Olympus needs to steal their CAF technology, because I was really impressed by it. Then again, that was the only thing I was impressed by.

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I got a chance to play with the j1 and v1 a bit at a local electronic store, and totally agree with your assessment. While I think the pricing is too expensive, and the form factor doesn't make sense to me (the size is about the same as an E-PM1 with kit lens, why make the sensor smaller?), I am very impressed with the focus speed of the system, especially in C-AF mode. The hybrid focus system is something I would love to see on my PEN.