1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon introduces World's first Android camera :)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    What a great idea Bhupinder! I hope they include servo motors too, so the camera can be taken over to control the composition too! :rofl:

Perhaps it would be even better if the camera could download the best images from Internet instead... would save me a lot of my time :tongue:

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    this means that canon could have ios?.....or that cellphones now will now have RAW images instead? instagram included as main part of the OS?...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

People are uploading to Facebook, Flikr and Smugmug from their smart phones all the time leaving compact cameras more and more as last decades technology.

If the compact camera manufacturers can include the ability to do so as well (and Android seems a reasonable way to do that) then it has the potential to gain some market share from people who otherwise wouldn't buy a camera.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder why dont they just add a SIM card slot into these cameras and kill Iphone and Android phones with one move ..:rofl::rofl:.
    There is an era of cameras into smart phones and they can start an era with phone in Smart cameras ..I will dump my phone happily of someone gives me Sony RX100 with SIM card slot and wireless bluetooth capability to pair with headset etc

Cheers

6. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    Uhg!!! :frown:

Where's my OM-1? Oh that's right ... my pet dinosaur ate it!

I must be turning into an old fart because I have zero interest in such technology. :tongue:

• Like Like x 4
  7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Hmmm....

So long as you can use the camera and all the normal camera features without having to register with google, then all is fine....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Google is Skynet. Just a matter of time before it becomes aware!

9. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    I couldn't care less about Android in camera... what's more, I strongly DON'T want Android in my camera :D

10. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I thought Samsung will be the first to release Android Camera.

11. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    If it had instagram and can MAKE CALLS and I can TEXT then I'll buy it. Otherwise, no.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yup, they should have built in a phone, otherwise it won't matter to the smartphone crowd. This seems like too little, too late. Traditional compact digicams aren't long for this world.

13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Maybe no full phone support, just data plan (like the console-tablet hybrid PSvita). Upload to flickr, facebook, even ftp, from 3G. Right now you need penpal or eye-fi + smartphone...
    Make it external if it costs too much to embed (i don't think it would be difficult to put a 3g usb dongle on a penpal-like little box).

14. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Android camera add ons

I really wish I could have film in my camera -- a GX1 type camera that shot both digital and film. I won't hold my breath on that.

Maybe we could have plugin 15 inch woofers for some real stereo playback or a real android to go out and take the pics.

I just want a camera to take decent pictures and my cellphone to make a call. My android phone is a better camera than it is a phone for over $400.

BC

15. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    They'll still capture only a fraction of the market. Or not even a fraction. People would still be using their phones. And clinging to them. My friend said she won't be getting a P&S even if had Wi-fi/data since her Galaxy Note was enough.

IMO Nikon, and a lot of P&S manufacturers, including Panasonic which also manufactures phones, have nothing to lose if they make a "camera with a phone". It will compete with Nokia's PureView, mainly. And it'll gain traction more since it'll be using Android. I don't know how they can make aesthetics and practicality work together, but Nokia is already working on it to an extent. Maybe Panasonic can make a Lumix Eluga or something.

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I can already eye-fi to my phone running android...that is also a phone, so kind of a neat idea and if they had their own dedicated camera app for full functionality then it would be alright, but it does seem kinda late to the party.

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Oh joy, the distraction of getting various force-close errors, unresponsive apps, facebook/email updates on your camera while trying to enjoy the process of photography. I'll pass.

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Samsung has had that for a while. They call it remote viewfinder.

19. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Cool. Now something else, other than my Android phone, can lock up in the middle of the day and just reboot without me doing anything... :rofl:

20. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Just bought an M6... :rofl: