1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon G to M43 Metabone Speedbooster adapter

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Massimo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    I've been reading stellar reviews about this little expensive toy and I was wondering if anybody in this club has any experience with it. I have three immaculate Nikon G lenses that have not seen any use in a long while, along with an also immaculate Nikon D7000. It would be nice to be able to use them on my EM-1 and Panasonic GX-7. It would double my inventory of usable lenses for M43. Thanks for any input. M

2. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I picked up one used (which I would recommend as it is simply a coupling device). It works fine with G lenses as long as you don't mind manual focus (which I started with a lifetime ago on a Nikon FE). The Nikon G lenses are, as you know, wonderfully sharp with great contrast. Below are a couple shots with the 70-200 f4 at 200 - so we are talking 400mm full frame equivalent -
    20160718-16-04-12.

And a close crop:
    20160718-16-04-12-2.

And here is one (cropped) from a 60mm 2.8G:
    20160718-15-50-49.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you for your time. Great photos, def very sharp. I too have started in the 70s with manual focus on a Nikon FTN. I loved the split focusing grid, when you got that thing properly aligned the focus was tack sharp. I wish the Oly EM-1 and the Panasonic GX-7 had a choice of focusing grids or maybe they do but they are probably buried deep in some sub menu.
    Hope you do not mind a question: when you have a Nikon G and Metabone on your M43 camera you set both lens and camera on Manual Focus? Thank you,
    M

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the E-M1, in recent firmware, allows one to choose the focus peaking colors.
    Magnification is another available aid.

With MF lenses, the body will automatically go into MF mode (but it won't turn on peaking automatically).

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you,
    M

6. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Be aware that there is miscommunication here.

"MASSIMO" is asking about the Metabones $480USD Nikon F/G Speedbooster 'focal reducer' which yields a one stop increase in speed at the cost of a reduction in effective focal length (by a factor of 0.71).

Whereas "MNm43" is presumably referring to the Metabones $140USD Nikon F/G-to-M43 mount adapter, which is without optics of any kind. (He says it's " ... simply a coupling device" and later speaks of a 2X crop factor using his Nikon zoom mounted on m43 ...)

Anyway, the OP says he's done lots of research, and this thread's kinda old, so please forgive me if my words are now irrelevant. By the way, I have two Metabones .71 Speedboosters -- the original and the current "Ultra" model -- and I can't speak highly enough of designer Brian Caldwell's skills.

Marc

• Informative Informative x 1