1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon follow Olympus- RETRO!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by digitalandfilm, Nov 4, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Don't get me wrong, I think this camera looks cool, but why does it have a mirror in it again? Retro style and retro technology.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I think its an ugly looking brute, I would have to wear a paper bag over my head or over the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It looks good to me in black. The silver around the front panel buttons looks awkward, and somehow the silve/black emphasizes the pentaprism hump, making it look ungainly. And, to me, the forward protrusion of the lens mount surround make the camera look clunky. (That shows you just how much thicker a digital sensor assembly is than film.)

But I'm less concerned with how a camera looks than how it works, I like the physical controls for the shutter, exposure comp, and ISO. Not only are they easier to set than menu-driven controls, you can easily see what they're set to. Too bad the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

I much prefer a shutter button on the top of a good sized grip than back on the top plate, and that dial mounted on the front of the body, in front of the shutter release, looks really awkward. Unfortunately, this looks like another body where style trumps substance.

And what the heck is that thing on the eyepiece?

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It looks like their target market is long term Nikon shooters who have a lot of premium Nikon glass and who want the sort of control they had in the 80s. It's the digital successor to the FM line of cameras.

These people seem to like the OVF, and would be turned off by a move to mirrorless with an EVF.

What would be smart for Nikon is to move their entry level cameras to mirrorless. Make the D3xxx and D5xxxx series mirrorless with an EVF. Maybe even slot in an even cheaper version right below that without an EVF.

I've seen people using entry level Canons and Nikons. They hold them at arm's length and use the LCD to compose and focus, just like a P&S. The advantages of a mirror and OVF (such that there are) are lost on them. Nikon could save itself a few bucks and make something like the Pentax K-01 (but not ugly).

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hmmm not for me. They definitely don't 'get it' for me.

7. Joe King

Joe King Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Seems to be influenced more by the Fuji X100 and its successors than any of the Olympus cameras. As someone who remains a - now occasional - Nikon shooter, I must admit this does stir a certain amour of gear lust in me. The manual control dials for ISO and shutter are very appealing. I assume aperture remains via a control dial, unless you have some older pre-G lenses? I suspect, however, that this camera is going to be very expensive (certainly more than the D610 but maybe not as high as the D800) and by the look of it very heavy.

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Honestly, I think you are too young to be the consumer they are aiming for (going by your picture).

I think when they conceived this design, they decided they were making the camera for male photographers in their 50s and 60s who have a good deal of disposable income and who are nostalgic for the sort of camera they used in the 70s and 80s.

They may have also been thinking of street photographers, giving them easily access manual controls and a premium sensor without the bulk of a D4.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm in love.

I'm not getting one. But I'll feel kind of dirty when I squeeze my other cameras.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  10. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Meh. I'd be excited if they made a mirrorless that looked like the SP & took S-mount lenses.

11. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Its definitely more F3 than FM and I hope it competes with the E-M1 for the "ugly yet practical" spot.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    technically no mirror is more retro

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Haha, true! Wow, I guess everything comes back in style at some point.

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a truly fugly abortion of a camera from a design point of view....that is a serious mess

a serious disappointment... the em5 was a much better retro look

K

• Like Like x 4
  15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    The same could be said towards the E-M1 against the E-M5. Let's see what Nikon has to offer before we pass judgement on it like some people passed judgement on the E-M1.

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    F from the past..

Attached Files:

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Nope... Olympus obviously spent some time and effort with both the E-P1 and the EM5 to hark back to their heritage with a certain amount of finesse. The EM1 isn't as openly retro, but ergonomically is much more refined

This new Nikon at first sight fails on the retro nostalgia aspect, the ergonomical aspect and the whole 'Pure Photography' pitch of the teaser ads.

Both me and my partner were intrigued by the promise of this camera... she shoots Leica, I shoot OMD.... Nikon just lost 2 possible sales

Maybe it will feel better in real life... but as it stands right now... it just looks sooooo wrong

K

18. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Considering Olympus decided to mate the grip to the body in such a way that was noted by several people as "prototype like, as if they superglued it on" and other items? I find this very questionable. Not only that, of all things, Kai from DigitalRev (Which, while in its own way has the same amount of legitimacy as say Top Gear) spent a third of the video complaining about the looks. Compare this to the praise the E-M5 received for its appearances, with and without the grip.

I can't really find anything wrong with the E-M1 in terms of performance. I was wishing Olympus could of integrated the grip into the design with an appearance that did not make it feel like it was welded on at the last parts of the design stage. Seriously I don't even count it from a "retro" viewpoint but from a "this does not bring visual pleasure" to me viewpoint. I also have similar remarks about what Nikon did to the D4/D800 viewfinder where it looks more like the GH3's "hammerhead" instead of being a distinct "hump" on the extension from the body.

And as I've said to my friend: When I saw the Df release, instead of wishing for it to become a pseudo D700 successor, I wished for it to bring D3s prices down so I can obtain a D3s in the future as I've always planned. As I did not feel interested in its... "Packaging" of the internals. Guess my source about it looking closer to a F3 was right.

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like it (does that say something about my age?)

20. bengtb

bengtb Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    How can they do a retro-style camera and market it with a modern lens that does not have an aperture ring? It does not make sens to me. If feels more like a toy than a serious camera to me. Fuji understood this in their X-series of cameras. Sadly olympus did not. If you have used an old camera (normally film based) understand that having the aperture on the lens is very easy to operate and feels natural.