1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

nikon f mount micro four thirds adapter questions.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by colbycheese, Jan 12, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have an old Nikon FE lens. I believe its a 50mm f1.8. I simply searched "nikon f adapter micro four thirds". This lens has been mine for a long time and i was wondering how much should i be paying. I don't want it to break and smash the lens because it would be very upsetting, but i don't want to pay hundreds of dollars. Here are some i found that i may buy from ebay:

Nikon F mount G AF-S Auto Focus Lens to Micro M 4/3 M43 Adapter E-P3 OM-D G3 GF5 | eBay

Nikon lens to for Olympus EP1 EP2 adapter micro 4/3 GF1 | eBay

Nikon F AI Lens to Micro 4/3 M43 M4/3 Mount Adapter G3 GH2 GX1 E-P3 OM-D AI-M43 | eBay

the last one on this list has the highest feedback for the seller. Which one of these would be the best to buy? Is ebay the best place or is there another place to buy these that will ship to Canada. What do you think is the best thing to do?
    EDIT: i don't want to pay for a expensive one but i don't want this lens breaking. i have had it so long and i don't want it to break.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    ebay is fine for adaptors... all the adaptors come from china.. buying direct is usually hassle free. They are not rocket science engineering wise.. a simple tube that keeps the old SLR lens at the right distance from the sensor. When you shoot the EXIF will show f0 as the aperture as there is no communication between lens and body. You may have to remember to open up aperture to focus and then step doen to actually take the photo... but that depends on your shooting style

last one on your list looks good to me.. have fun

K

3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nothing in any of the adaptors will break the lens any more than than putting it on the original camera... its just a bit of aluminium that keeps the lens the right distance from the sensor.

Over the last few years I have bought many adaptors from ebay for my older lenses..nikon, contax, pentax, olympus OM... and some very expensive Leica lenses of my partner...

none of the lenses have been broken!!!

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

K

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    A few notes:

1. Since your lens works on the FE it obviously has its own f/stop ring, something many modern AF Nikkors lack (e.g. the "G" series, ...). As a result, any of the 3 adapters you list will work, though you may find that one that supports the "G" series lenses offers an advantage. With the basic "non-G" adapters your lens will operate purely manually. As you change the f/stop on the lens the lens will stop down. You need to open to focus and close to shoot, which can be slow when you have to count clicks. With the G adapters there is an Open/Close ring (labeling varies) that lets you set the desired aperture and then, using the ring on the adapter, open to focus and close to the pre-set aperture to shoot. This makes the lens, in effect, a "pre-set" lens rather than true manual with respect to aperture stop down. Native lenses, and the Nikkor when used on a Nikon body, have fully automatic aperture stopdown when the picture is taken and reopen afterwards.

2. Branded adapters are available for similar prices from sources like Amazon.

3. While I don't have first hand experience with the adapters the OP lists I do have many decades experience with multitudes of 3rd party accessories (extension tubes, bellows, tele-extenders, ...) for Nikon mount. One place where may dispaly problems is the bayonet release pin and its actuating tab. In my experience, those accessories that use a bent tab with a pin (OP's 1st and 3rd listing) are the most likely to be difficult to release. The straight in/out action of the 2nd listing is the way Nikon makes their own and what more often than not works well in inexpensive accessories. If you will only be using one lens on the adapter this becomes all but a non-issue as you won't be mounting and unmounting the lens often.

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Generally speaking, Fotodiox makes a decent one. By the way,I'm pretty sure your Nikon 50mm 1.8 could be replaced for less than $100. It ain't a diamond!

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The FE is a body series not a lens series. Nikkor lenses are all F-mount. The earliest are just F or "pre-AI"{indexing tab}, then came the AI lenses{coupling ridge on side} followed by the improved AIs{coupling ridge and a slot cut in the mount face}{both AI and AIs lenses have the old indexing tab but they have extra slots on them}. There is also the Nikon E series lenses which are AIs but lack the indexing tab so they can not be used on very early Nikon bodies.

There were a few autofocus lenses made for the F3AF{Nikon's first AF camera}. I would avoid those but they hard to find anyway. Currently there are two AF Nikkor lenses AF-D and AF-S. The "D" lenses use a screw drive from the body to focus and the "S" lenses have built in motors. All "G" or gelded series lenses are AF-S and the aperture is totally controlled from the body.

There are also AI-P lenses which are AIs with an electronic chip. Lastly there are a couple of lenses labeled as AF-I and they work like AF-S but have a larger geared motor for focusing.

As for adaptors they fall into two categories, "F" and "G". Use the F for all lenses except the new G series. I personally do not like using the G lenses on m4/3 as you have NO CLUE what f-stop you are actually set at{except max and min for that lens}. You can use G adaptors on earlier lenses but I find the aperture adjustment{on the adaptor} is easily accidentally changed.

I have several of the Fotodiox adaptors and they are good. They are a little bit more expensive than some of the cheapy ebay ones but all that I have focus correctly and fit well. Some of the cheaper ones are too long and throw infinity focus out and/or are just wobbly. Most adaptors have a little screw on them for locked position - super glue that screw! I have had several come loose.

Nikon has made half a dozen different 50mm f1.8 lenses. None of them are very expensive but all of them are good{I have had several and still have my E series}. I also have a pre-AI 50mm f1.4 which is a bit faster and sharper overall but flares bad due it being from the early 70s.