1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon F Mount AI Mechanism on Older Bodies

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by phigmov, Sep 30, 2011.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm not having much luck on my quest for a nice Nikon FE/FM body.

I picked up my first FE and it looks like it suffers from mirror lock due to a knackered meter dial.

My latest FE has an odd issue which I noticed when checking the metering - it looks OK but the tab only rotates one way when adjusting lens aperture. Its definitely an AI lens so has the right mechanical slots and rabbit-ears.

So I dismantled the first FE mount and noticed theres a bit of elastic on the aperture-tab ring which ensures the ring moves with the lens aperture backwards and forwards.

Apart from my amusement at a classic bit of late 70's bodging I did wonder what the effect of not having this elastic was ?

I've just shot a test roll so waiting to see how they came out.

Without this tab rotating properly can I still operate in 'manual' mode or will I need to go fully manual and use stop down metering too (in which case I'll look for yet another FE body!) ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.