nikon f 1.8 50mm vs panasonic f1.7 20mm

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cph, May 25, 2011.

1. cph

cph New to Mu-43

May 17, 2011
    Hi everybody

still learning about photography and now I'm finally (thanks to this forum) getting used to the above Nikkor lens. Of course it's manual and everything, but I do think you can get some good pics with it and my GF-2.

I have the Olympus kit lens as well (14-42 I think), but I was thinking about getting the Panasonic pancake everybody talks about, but it's sold out most places and now I'm thinking - do I really need this lens? What can this lens do that the old manual can't do, except it's smaller?

Br

Jens

2. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    20 versus 50mm

These lenses give a quite different perspective. I have both and use the pancake lens 40x as often. It has AF and it's very sharp.
    The Nikon is nice for portaits but not for street, snaphot and landscape.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cph

cph New to Mu-43

May 17, 2011
    HI Spanjaart

Thx for your answer - I figured there was a reason that everybody didn't settle for the old one. Ah well, hope Panasonic will ship some new ones soon.

Br

Jens

4. Keeds

Keeds New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    Perth , WA
    The 20mm produces quite nice bokeh! i just received my gh1 and my 20mm f1.7 in the mail. Absolutely stunning, its a must have if you can get it.

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Set you zoom to 20mm and leave it there, that is the field of view of the 20mm pancake.
    So! you ask yourself, Why do I need it if I have it covered by the zoom?
    Well! it's much faster, in light terms, than the zoom (try shooting indoors with the zoom - not much fun....)
    The 20mm pancake is not only much smaller, lighter, faster, sharper and quicker AF than the zoom, but much more pocketable.
    The 20mm is equivelant to 40mm on 35mm film.
    Your legacy 50mm would act like a 100mm telephoto, I think most would agree 40mm(4/3 20mm) is a better gereral FL.
    A fixed Fl lens gets you thinking about composition more and meens you will have to zoom with you feet if you need to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I strongly agree, I bought the 50mm Nikon lens for my E-PL1 and used it on a trip to Las Vegas. I was not able to use it for landscapes such as the strip in Vegas or quick snapshops of spontanious events. I wished For the 20mm half the time I was taking pics. But when it came to taking portriaits I was able to get some good pics with the Nikon lens. The 20mm is the next lens I will be adding to my collection. After I purchase a new camera since I sold my E-PL1 to my cousin after he saw the pics I took in vegas...(wishing the new Olympus comes out soon!).

7. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have both but also the Nikon 35mm 1.4. This seems to be the sweet spot for good control of depth of field but yet retaining a fairly natural perspective. At the moment, it's my favourite lens but the 20mm and 50mm are both excellent and if I had to choose just two lenses to use with the GH2, it might be those two. Then again, I might go for the Panny 7-14 and nikon 35 though, razor sharp though the 35 may be, there are limits how much you can crop for telephoto

Zenfolio | David Owen | Bokeh, flowers etc

shows a few of my first attempts (except for the gulls which were taken with the Panny 45-200)

8. cph

cph New to Mu-43

May 17, 2011
    Thx for the answers. I didn't really think about setting the zoom to 20 mm as suggested by Howi to see what it would look like. Well learning something everyday.

BR

Jens