1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon enters the mirrorless Business.....

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Tom Swaman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Now Nikon has entered the mirrorless business with the nes J1 Na V1. Based on the specifications and what I have read, I hope that Panasonic stays on its toes and starts catering to quality still mode cameras and to quality video mode cameras. These two Nikons look to me to be a combination of the Nikon name on a couple of tows with a slow lens and an unproven lens mount. Features such as diopter correction are possibly missing and the 3.7:1 zoom lens is very slow when the market is aimed at faster glass.

Best regards,
    Tom

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i'm a nikon fx user, but i'm glad i have chosen m4/3 as my mirrorless system of choice. :biggrin:

3. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Same here.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I sold a Nikon D3 and premium glass to finance my move to m4/3. (and pay off some bills) :smile:

Doubt that Nikon will ever get me back. Certainly not with what they're up to now. :tongue:

I have had a Canon G camera for years and years as they were always so much better than coolpix oferings.

Ya gotta wonder if Nikon has lost their edge.

5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Still are way better from my experience and I was a Nikon shooter from 1965 until last year. I will not return.

Best regards,
    Tom

6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This is great news for m43 in general. Nikon will advertise the advantages of mirrorless technology, which will bring awareness of the concept to folks who've never heard of it until now. Once they start looking around, they'll find m43 offerings and no doubt some will choose m43 over the Nikon mirrorless system.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Didn't you know? The Nikon 1 is a completely new and original concept. They said so themselves. :rofl:

As somebody said in another forum... It was only a matter of time before Nikon or Canon "invented" mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. :D

I think it's funny the way they take credit for everything they copy, but I agree that it's all good for the awareness and growth of market. :) I'm not complaining.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It is a new concept ... for Nikon. (Come to think of it ... during the 1950's Nikon made a series of mirror-less, interchangeable lens cameras, The S2, S3 and S4. In fact, similar to the Nikon 1, Nikon made the S4M ... a 1/2 frame, mirror-less, interchangeable lens camera ... it even looks like the Nikon 1.

S3M_motor_mdm.

9. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Have you read some of the scathing reviews of the Nikon 1s on the internet? This one in particular left no doubt about how the author felt:

Nikon ‘don’t fear a Canon mirrorless’ | EOSHD.com

Nikon should indeed be fearing m43s and the NEX format, and not Canon; at least not yet. While I think it would be foolhardy to discount Canon, they too have really dug a hole for themselves. Still, I remember when Minolta came out with the first mass-production AF SLRs. I almost jumped ship then, but look who's the top dog in the camera market today.

10. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    hahaha. I just gave it a read and by the time I got to 'positives of the system' I got tired of reading!.

Nikon really do seem to have gotten a lot wrong but only time and sales will prove this. I don't like their chances though. Anyone thinking of buying either of the new nikons is surely going to do a quick search for reviews and so far I haven't seen anything positive. It's a shame in a way because there seem to be some really impressive performance (not IQ). I for one actually like the styling and if a built in evf like the one turned up on the GF1X?? then I think there'd be a lot of praise on this forum.

The resounding criticism is sensor size which lets assume at the moment is proportional to IQ. Maybe down the track sensor performance will improve significantly and this size will be capable of the performance we currently see in m43. If so then Nikon will be able to play the camera size trump card...too bad the smaller m43 bodies are already pushing the limit of what is comfortable.

11. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    They just don't want to use that word! As I said here https://www.mu-43.com/f76/nikon-1-hands-review-16760/ I've been in a Nikon Accademy yesterday and they say that's a completely new product, they don't want you to know there are competitors :)

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    As a hardcore Nikon user, the 1 system is a major disappointment. They had every opportunity to one up m43 and NEX and they squandered that away.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nikon has been wrong before, but, based solely upon extremely positive name recognition, Nikon has been able to survive until they get it right.

Nikon's early forays into the consumer dSLR's were significantly subpar when compared to their rivals, yet they still sold a ton of cameras. Heck, Nikon even entered the consumer dSLR market late claiming film was such a superior medium that there wasn't a market for digital. (Allowing Canon an opportunity to capture and be crowned king of both the consumer and pro dSLR market for a number of years.)

Somehow, I think that this early "flop" will grow and evolve into a world class mirror-less, interchangeable lens camera system with significant if not dominant market share. (A similar pattern as blazed by Nikon's dSLR's.)

An article pointed out that while Nikon knows photography, it does not understand the trendy consumer electronic marketplace, which is where this camera falls ... and that may be Nikon's Achilles Heal and the death of the Nikon 1.

G

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    They weren't as late as Olympus... That was Olympus' biggest downfall, IMHO.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hate to judge a product before it's launched, but Nikon's crappy marketing, ignoring the existence of other mirrorless camera, no size advantage and the price of the camera just suck. This camera is made for the likes of Ashton Kutcher and Nikon's newest photog talking head Chase Jarvis.

They should of let Nikon engineering dictate this product (like they did with the D3, D700 and all the awesome lenses), I bet there were engineers who were pushing for a bigger sensor. :rolleyes:

16. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Nikon 1 is not targeted to us. V1 and j1 special function are the proof:
    Best shot takes 20 images in 0,5 sec. at full resolution... And choses the best for you. The camera. Choses. Instead of you.
    This is not for the photographers, period.

It's a GREAT camera (60 fps, great videos, 1,44 vf2-like evf with a really small bump, electronic + mechanical shutter with almost zero blackout and NO SHUTTER SOUND, full phase af compatibility with afs lenses), but it's not made for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I totally agree with you on this: It's not made for us...
    BUT, the more I think about it, who is it made for? My aunt? My girlfriend? They don't care about changing lenses and if they did, I don't see them buying into a system and hobby they know little about, especially when the alternatives are similarly priced.

Unless Nikon plans to just sell this solely at their big-box retailers, you have to be pretty blind to ignore the criticism it receives from the enthusiast reviewer. The internet is becoming the main place of commerce, and it's going to be hard for Nikon to hide all this flack.

Take the msrp down to premium Coolpix territory...then we'll talk. Let the sales of your proprietary lens mount (the main focus) be the driving factor. It may not be geared towards the gear-saavy and forum dwellers, but at this size and price-range it competes with NEX/ MFT period.

Just my initial opinions of course, who knows...the J1/V1 might destroy worlds for all I know.

18. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Nikon use to rule. As Paul Simon sang, "I got a Nikon camera - I love to take a photograph - So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away." Like others here, I can't imagine returning to Nikon, and I was a fan for decades. I am now only interested in what Panasonic is doing. With three bodies and 5 lenses, the die is cast. My current favorite combination is the G3 with the 14-45. It is a joy to use. There is nothing about it that I don't like. I photograph the paintings of a folk artist, and have just switched even that process over to the G3 from a Nikon DSLR. The results were every bit as good.

19. This is not a new feature, either. A local website was selling discounted, old model Nikon Coolpix cameras the other day for $50 with have this feature (BSS - Best Shot Selection)

20. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    When I was getting my BFA a few years ago. One of my teachers was a pro photographer. I remember him telling me. If he were not so invested in Nikon hardware. He would have jumped ship to Canon. He felt they had better on bored software and some great hardware.
    I found this interesting coming from a highly paid pro. Sad to see Nikon drop from glory. If nothing else. It leaves room for the smaller players like Olympus to take over.

For me what turned me off from Nikons. Lack of lens adaptors for their DSLRS. For most other cameras, including the likes of Sony and Canon. You still could use legacy lenses. Nikon, there is very little choice in this. Other then screwing in a new mount. That was the only choice I have found.

I am very happy with my Pens.