Nikon DX format equivalent of P20

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Chris5107, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    Hello,
    My daughter ended up getting a camera. I tried to persuade her to get something like an EM10-II but she ended up with a Nikon DX format system. I think she has an 18-55mm kit lens with it.

I wanted to see if there are any primes that some Nikon shooter might recommend. Something small and fast and in that 40-50mm range. I assume about 27 - 30mm would be good.

Is the Sigma 30/1.4 a nice lens for Nikon?

Thanks for any help. I have zero Nikon exposure.

2. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I used a Nikon AF 28mm f2.8 and AF 24mm f2.8 both bought used on eBay and the sigma 30mm f1.4 when I had my D7100,

I must admit I preferred the 28mm fov plus the Sigma is a big heavy lump of glass with a large front element which made filters expensive.

As a walk around lens f2.8 Vs f1.4 made no difference to me but the weight difference did. But both are good lenses hence why I owned both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Which DX, as depending on the model, it would open up a lot more lens choices that AF. The D7000 series has an in body screw drive, so AF with older Nikon lenses is possible. D3000/D5000 series do not and require AF-S lenses for AF functionality.

Regarding Sigma lenses...I've use a few and was never totally happy with them function and AF wise. They generally rate very high in the IQ department, but pixel peeping IQ is not the end all be all, at least not for me.

If I go third party lenses and need AF, then I'm looking at Tamron.

I'd start searching over at KEH.com, Adorama, or B&H in the used department for primes and zooms. Again, depending on the body, you'll have a different set of lenses to choose from if you require AF.

This link will get you into the primes category over at KEH as a starter:
    Nikon

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I used the Nikon 35/1.8G prime on my DX bodies (10 years of shooting DX) and recommend that for a 50mm pov. Unfortunately Nikon did not make very many prime lenses with focal lengths for APS-C bodies, so your choices are limited beyond that. As @gryphon1911@gryphon1911 said, the cheaper DX bodies do not have an AF motor and are limited in the choice of older lenses which you can use on them and still get AF.

Overall, I would recommend the Nikkor 35/1.8G AF-S as a cheaper starting normal prime over the $500 Sigma 30/1.4 unless you/she are really insistent on the 40mm pov. I sold mine on eBay for around $150, so you should be able to buy it for around that price used.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    As both Gryphon1911 and SVQuant point out, if your daughter has a 3xxx or 5xxx series Nikon body, then in order to auto-focus, she must buy an AF-S lens. The D and older lenses will work fine, but she won't have auto-focus capabilities. As SVQuant mentions, the AF-S 35mm 1.8 DX lens was, and still is, very popular with DX owners, but keep in mind that she can also use FX lenses on her DX body. Generally, they are somewhat bigger and heavier, but they work as well if not better, on a DX body. The reason for the better performance is that since they were built to cover the FX sensor, you are using the center of the lens. As always, some lenses are better than others, so read the reviews.

BTW, the AF-S 18-55 DX kit lens that she has is very good and very light. She may wish to buy something to expand her focal length range, rather than duplicating what she already has.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    Thanks,
    This all helps. I like the idea of the Nikkor 35/1.8G AF-S but I am throwing in my bias towards the P20 vs P25 field of view in m4/3 to look at lower focal lengths for her Nikon. Perhaps this does not even matter for her and I should recommend the 35 as a good starter prime.

She has also mentioned expanding the focal length range as you mentioned above. It was me suggesting for her to also consider a faster prime.

As a reference, she has the Nikon D5500.

7. arjubx

arjubx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    Lei
    Long time Nikon shooter before/parallel with m43 and agree that DX wise especially without the screw drive motor bodies (which is most likely here as I don't think the d7xxx is sold with the 18-55 kit lens, they usually have the 18-140), the af-s 35mm 1.8g is the best bang for the buck you will really get. All the other wider primes 28mm or less with AF built into the lens are FX and far pricier, even from 3rd parties.

This is why I think the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 zoom is so popular for DX, outside of the extra weight/size, it is really the most economical way to get wide-normal focal range while being f2 or better aperture. Not to mention how awesomely sharp the lens is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The Sigma looks attractive, and for many it is very....however, there are lots of issues with that lens, front/back focusing as well as well as issues using any focus point outside the center one on modern Nikon DSLRs. If the OP determines to go that route, make sure to buy from a reputable dealer with a no hassles return policy and test out/calibrate the lens thoroughly within the first few days.

I know I'm sounding salty toward Sigma, but I've just been burned one too many times by their lenses. I just want people to be aware.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Nikon has very limited lens selections that are designed for DX, and most of the lenses that fit your focal length desires are extremely large, expensive, and designed for FF.

The Sigma 30mm/1.4 is a fine lens, but it's not particularly small, light, or cheap. It won't be as sharp wide open as the Panasonic 20/1.7, and it probably won't ever be as sharp across the frame.

The AF-S 35/1.8 is a much smaller, lighter, cheaper, and is pretty darn good optically. Obviously a more restrictive field of view, but it's one of the few prime lenses that is an easy recommendation for DX users.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I think Pentax has the best line-up for small/pancake APS-C primes. Nikon just has the 35mm 1.8G DX lens and that's about it. Great zooms, but a bit "short" on the walk-around primes!

11. arjubx

arjubx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    Lei
    I agree with your easy return policy recommendation, I have had challenges with Sigmas in the past too (50-150 2.8 v1 I had was terrible). They are generally much better regarded now.

As I think about it more, the camera would be crazy front heavy with this lens and a d3xxx or d5xxx body anyhow. Not an issue for me as I paired it with a D300S at first then the D7200 but realized I have not handled the entry level Nikons in many years now.

Nikon DX unfortunalty is in a tough spot for wider than 50mm equivalent fast primes that are decently priced, and doubly so for entry level bodies without screw drive motors built in.

12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Look up "the angry photographer"'s videos on YouTube if you want more info. He can be annoying...ok...always annoying, but is knowledgeable. With the d500 being so hot, he has done a couple videos on the best DX and non-DX lenses for Dx bodies recently. I think he also mentioned the 35,1.8 but I can't remember for certain. He also specifically lists the best DX lenses.

Did I say he can be annoying, but knowledgeable.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I think that the D5500 is a great body. Lightweight, fast AF and easy to use. The 18-55 prime is also a good lens. But you/she will be limited to AF-S lenses if you need AF. The native DX prime selection is very limited (3 in all from what I recall) and personally the FX primes felt unbalanced on the consumer DX bodies. If you are looking for a long zoom to pair with the kit, there are several cheap f4-5.6 options. The Tamron 70-300 would probably be my recommendation for that.

FWIW, for nearly a decade the 35/1.8 (pretty much since it was launched) combined with either the 55-200 or the 18-200 and a Nikon D40 was my travel kit. I think that it is a gem of a lens and it is sad that Nikon decided to position DX as a stepping stone to FX (for the most part) and produce almost no DX primes at the classic FF focal lengths.

14. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    You guys are the best. I love getting the knowledge from years of experience boiled down to some quick advice.

Thanks

15. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I've recently gotten into Nikon fx and they actually have a very nice thing going in their updated fx "g" primes. The 24 1.8 or 28 1.8 would be a bit bigger and pricer than the aforementioned 35 1.8 dx, but you'd get a slightly wider fov and a bit better optics. Just my .02.

16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Aren't the 28mm/1.8 and 24mm/1.8 both at least $500 more than the 35/1.8 DX? They're over triple the price. And between 1.5-2x heavier.

For the same price I'd just suggest getting a GX7 and a 20mm/1.7...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Does your daughter want a prime like you do, or does she want to just expand her focal length range as you mentioned?

--Ken

18. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    She mentioned both. I am not sure which is more important to her at this point but I hope she ultimately gets both. She mentioned a friend who was shooting with a single prime lens and how great his pictures were but also mentioned the goal of having a longer focal length at some point.

I was thinking a prime might make a nice gift at some point from Dad.

She also visited today and let me borrow the camera for the weekend. I will get some time to work with it a little and make some comparisons to my EM5ii.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I already lost the battle on going m43 for now and don't see another camera body in her near future. But, I agree with your sentiment.

As a strong willed daughter, she does like to tack away from Dad's suggestions from time to time to demonstrate independence.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The kit lens is not fast, but they have usually been decent performers. The typical companion is a 55-xxx telephoto. These can also be decent, but again not fast. But they are usually quite affordable. The 35 is a great standard prime and is quite affordable. After those, I would recommend the 85/1.8 if that sounds interesting. It is a great lens at a decent price. Let us know if you have any more quesitons after you see the camera.

Good luck,

--Ken