Nikon D90 vs Panasonic G5?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by HNM43, Mar 18, 2013.

1. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Hello everybody,

Looking to get some advice from people that have used these cameras.

My brother currently have the Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-105 Lense, it does the job fine, but sometime it for travelling, it can be a bit big.

He enjoy shooting some with a bit more of a grip and viewfinder, so GX1, Olympus Pens are no good. Don't really shoot video enough to consider the GH2 or GH3.

I was would if anyone have more from the D90 to the G5, and how did you find the change. It is a good to move to change of Nikon to Panasonic.

Any feedback are well.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I'd say go for the G5 if you will be travelling with it.
  3. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    G5 is great for video too, has gh2 sensor
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The G5 is a good choice, but to address some of your points directly the GH2 and GH3 are just as great for stills as they are for video, and the GX1 and Olympus Pens all have high grade 1.44 million dot viewfinders (just like the built-in EVFs in the G-series, GH-series, and OM-D series cameras) available for them, the difference being that the viewfinder is clipped on instead of built-in. The only practical difference that makes is that it takes over the hotshoe so using the EVF and flash together can't be easily done (it can be worked around on some models, by using the remote commander or built-in flash to trigger wirelessly), but on the plus side you can remove the EVF and pack the camera into a much smaller bag, throwing the EVF into any available pocket or unused corner. The G5 may still be your best choice, but I'm just pointing these things out so that you don't limit your choice. These cameras all have the same capabilities, with just slightly different forms. Few of the differences should be "deal breakers", just a matter of preference.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Many thanks for your replies.

I guess the main reason I looked at the G5 with kit zoom is that it is about the same price range as the D90, like the dslr style so it is not too big of the transition for him from dslr to mirrorless. The G5 also have the touch focus/shoot funtion which can be handy. The OMD and GH3 are wonderful camera but price maybe a bit high.

I guess his main concern is IQ and ISO handling. How is the G5 compary to the D90 when it come to IQ and ISO?

Also apart from the Continue AF, is there anything the D90 have an advantage over thr G5?

Many thanks for any help and advice people have.
  6. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    I can't compare the two, but can point out that the screen on the G5 is resistive vs. capacitive (what we're used to on cell phones these days). Just means a little firmer pressing... hasn't hindered me yet, but I'm still relatively new to the camera.
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I don't have experience with the D90, but I assure you the G5 meets today's standards for IQ and ISO performance. Although, Panasonic's JPEG engine requires some tweaking for better results.

Will you be investing in at least one quality lens for it? Because all this concern for sensor performance really means nothing if you are not going to optimize your camera system with a good lens.
  8. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Take a look at my D5000 and E-PM1 jpeg comparisons. The D5000 has the same sensor as the D90, but the G5 outperforms the E-PM1 by a half to a whole stop depending on who you ask. From my experience with the E-PM1 if it is true the G5 is a half to whole stop better performing that the E-PM1 I would say the G5 and D90 would be neck and neck IQ wise. Things like handling, size, accessories, etc will be the main difference.
  9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    The D90 for video isn't anything to write home about. It was the first Nikon DSLR to include that feature. 720p vs 1080p60 on the G5.

Whenever I read about D90 video, there are a lot of complaints about rolling shutter, which frankly I don't know if the G5 also suffers from (I think all cameras have this issue, but possibly at 60fps it's less of an issue).

The size difference is very important - the 28-105 equiv Nikon kit lens is large, and slow. Way too big if you are thinking size matters.

I always have a problem switching from Oly zooms to trying friends Nikons out because their zoom ring is backwards!
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not just the zoom ring, but also the focus ring and the bayonet for the mount. :D
  11. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I'd go for the G5. If you have a camera is to use it, and a bulky setup could make you sometimes think about carrying it or leaving it at home. Also, you'll be able to use shorter lenses.
  12. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Many thanks to everybody that contributed.

With it being Christmas I am looking at maybe getting him a Panasonic G6, I think that in the future he will look to upgrade to a Nikon D7000 (from the D90) and maybe a fast constant Zoom (24-70 or Sigma 18-35). I have used the D7000 for a while, thought it is a great camera, do you think the G6 with maybe 14-140 or 12-35 will be alright for his need.

Again his main shooting need would be for personal travelling, concerts, events and maybe one or two weddings for friends.

Many thanks for any advice and experience of the G6 camera you may have.
  13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    D90 does do great quality pics, but for sheer portability, G5 G6 are superior.
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The D90 is a good camera for sure, but the G5 is considerably smaller, lighter, better for video, has a swiveling touchscreen, and keeps up pretty well in image quality while also having 4 more megapixels. Also the 14-140mm zooms are sharper than their DSLR counterparts. Go for it!
  15. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a D90 and a G3, well since obtaining the G3 the D90 has not really been used. The D90 is a good camera but the G3 is in the same area iq wise but so much less weight and for me that is important. Now a G5 should be the same or better and given the weight difference it makes for a camera you will use more, I do not think twice before putting it in the bag even when going shopping.