Nikon D800 vs E-M5 video test!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    This is amazing that the E-M5 can not only hang w/ the D800, but IMO, surpass many shots...

We are looking at a ~$4.7k & 4.2lbs setup vs ~$1.4k & 1.19lbs. Crazy.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Well video is okay, but, to Hell with video, lets stick to a true art form, photography.
  3. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    So I suppose you never watch movies then? Since that would be a waste of time for something artless...

Let's not be so harsh here.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Not bad considering the OMD is one third of the price of the D800.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    To me it actually indicates that video isn't really a good use of high-end DSLRs. The D800 is a camera designed primarily for high-resolution shooting, but with 1080p video you're throwing away more than 80% of the camera's resolution. It's not a natural fit.

I'm fairly certain that if they wanted to, Panasonic (or Olympus) could easily release a vastly superior video camera for less than half the price of a D800 (after all, the GH2 with a custom firmware bettered Canon's 5Dm2). Look what BlackMagic (a much much smaller company) has managed to do with their new pro cinema camera.

7. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Mind you if you shoot where the lighting changes dramatically the OMD is dreadful. I'll buy a higher end consumer grade camcorder like a Canon vixia hg g10 or XA10. Mind you the camcorders mentioned do not have thinner dof compared to an OMD w/ fast prime. However the manual controls of the OMD are useless at the moment. Exposure will be all over the place when contrast changes in the scene. AF is also terrible and slow.

Mind you video for me is documenting school plays and every day useage. Editing is not really my expertise for video.
  8. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Even if the OMD has good video IQ or not, who cares!

Video-IBIS is what makes it truly awesome, one of a kind and Revolutionary.

It's like having a built-in steadycam your pocket!

No other camera can do this...unless you want to lug around and use a bulky, heavy, obtrusive, Merlin steadycam all the time.
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Overall the video performance is very similar. In fact I think some of the video on the Nikon looks better not because the camera is better but the lens is. The shadows and overall contrast is a bit better with the Nikon but the sky and most colors look better on the Olympus. The Nikon does have some better video features built in such as mic input, although there is an adaptor for the Oly. Pricewise! The OMD wins!
  10. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I was hoping for good video on the OMD and it has thus far delivered in spades. The ONLY feature missing I surely wish it had, was manual volume level to get around the autolevel controls which are very limiting for one of my applications. I record a dance group that occasionally uses tambourines in their routine. The sound of the tambourines shuts down the music in the background as they are so much more louder and are a peak generated sound. Sadly those recordings are poor as a result. Otherwise it does a superb job indeed. I use a LS-20M Olympus PCM video/audio recording device for the serious Tambourine stuff or when I need the finest audio possible. It does 96k audio 16bit stereo and offers all the tweaks for audio I need. It does 5mp video which is remarkable in itself as I get full 1080P 30fps video for my Youtube uploads. Olympus has my back in general. However indeed I am blown away by the OMD's ability to steady my shaky movements during a video. When viewing you'd never know I moved. So all in all I'm thrilled with the video performance. I like have a 2 in 1 ability and not one where it overheats or stops after 4-20minutes like the D7000 or NEX I had before. Colors are definitely superior to say the least.
  11. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    You know what us video-heads REALLY need????

IBIS to work in video-mode WITH adapted non-native lenses d@mmit!!! lol

Afterall, the majority of serious video heads and cinematographers, if not ALL, Only use MF lenses for their smooth manual focusing action, manual ap ring, build quality, high quality and many times inexpensive prices.

Olympus really needs to fix this ASAP...

Don't forget to let them know and request for it in a firmware fix:
  12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    All the Canikons seem to have bright, but soft focus video.
  13. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    I would think that the FF f/1.4 lens vs the Oly 45mm f/1.8 has something to do w/ the brightness...
  14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I doubt it because my E-PL1 Pen with it's slow kit lens has brighter video and jpegs than my OMD.
    So lens and sensor size doesn't seem to be an important factor in image brightness.
  15. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

I do think it is pretty pathetic that the OMD does not support PAL frame rates. Someone needs to hack the camera!

By the way, great test, love the set up. Tks for posting.