Nikon D80 --> OMD EM5! Help me convert (lens / case)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by therourke, Nov 23, 2012.

1. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    Hello m4/3 users. I'd really appreciate your advice.

I just exchanged my trusty old Nikon D80 and 3 lenses (18-200mm VRII, 50mm 1.4D & 28mm 2.8D) for an OMD. It was an emotional change, and although I am very happy so far, I need some advice.

With my D80 I tended to use the 28mm for daily stuff, and swapped to the other lenses depending on my needs.

So far, for my OMD, I have a Pano 20mm 1.7 and plan on getting an Olymp 45mm 1.8 to keep it company. At the moment 3 lenses is all I can afford. My gut tells me a good 3rd lens would be the Pano 14-45mm - this would complete the set for relatively cheap. Would this trio serve me well?

Also, I am umming and ahhing about a case for the OMD. I really like the leather cases with a detachable hood, but the nose length is far too long in the official case. Is there a good quality equivalent with a shorter nose suitable for the 14-45mm or equivalent (a bit like this?). Basically I want something protective that means I can throw the camera in a bag and take everywhere. Something that doesn't get in the way of daily use.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

2. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    a 40-150 or other zoom lenses? to match your 18-200?

3. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    I don't necessarily need to match the 18-200 (pretty difficult act to follow). But let's say you had the 20mm and the 45mm, what 3rd option would seal the bunch and why?

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Refurb oly 14-150mm from cameta at $340.
    (they go for $700ish new)

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The Panasonic 14mm (equivalent in view to the Nikon 28mm) can be had new, on the cheap, for $160-170 on E-Bay. At f/2.5 it's not all that fast, but it is sharp and good value for the money. If 28mm is your normal "go to" lens for daily carry you might find the Panny a good option. That would cover the low range of your 14-45 zoom range, the prospective 45 covers the high end and the 20 that you have covers the middle.

You'd have three nice primes.

I don't (yet) have the 45mm, but do have the 14 and 20 and have found them acceptable. (I moved from a Nikon D300 with assorted lenses to an OM-D EM-5 and am still working on the lens set).

You might consider:

The Olympus kit lens 12-50 has the advantage of weathersealing, but runs @ $450 and is not noted for being all that sharp. I have one, but usually mount a prime on the OMD. The kit lens is nice to have for inclement weather days.

Regards,

Jim

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 the idea of picking up one of the Ebay 14mm deals... you would have a pretty great trio of lenses there, covering the entire range and very compact.

You could then start saving towards the Panasonic 12-35mm zoom to give you a high-quality weather sealed option. :biggrin: There should be some price reductions while you are waiting. Love this lens. I find it as good as m4/3 primes across the range and really nice to have a weather sealed option for the OM-D.

7. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    In 35mm full frame terms, yes, but he's using a 28mm on a 1.5 crop body, so the 20/1.7 is probably most like what he is used to seeing.

I'd pick the 12-50 kit lens over the Pany 14-45, but don't buy full retail, buy one from someone here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Kev, nice catch; you might think that by now I'd be familiar with the crop factor.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Jim

9. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    Thanks people. I have just bought the Olympus 45mm, and I am going to stick with that and my 20mm for now.

I was sad to find out that new buyers of OMD will receive the 45mm free! (I bought mine from eBay and offer is not applicable)... Annoying

The hunt for a good case also continues. I am not having any luck at all

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    For what it's worth I find the Olympus 14-150 better than the Sigma 18-200 OS, which is slightly worse than the Nikon 18-200 VR. I think the VR II is optically the same but a revised VR system with a zoom lock?

Cameta's deal on the 14-150 is really good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I am a Nikon user too, with a new OMD and kit zoom lens. I have added the Oly grip, and a second battery. My favourite bag for light carry is my Billingham Hadley Digital. I have a Billingham Hadley Pro when I want to carry more.

I have 2 Domke bags. An F3X Ruggedwear is a great choice. Ugly though ;)
    I have a Domke F2 that comes with a 4 chamber insert. A kind person here suggested I try the insert in the F3x.

I find myself replicating my Nikon and grip...I want to simplify my life. Consequently, I have removed my strap and put the Oly hand strap on. I am delighted with the camera, grip and hand strap. Let's me stash the camera quickly.

I have kept my d300s with grip, and 18-200vr, and assorted other lenses. Just in case.

12. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    Thanks again. The Panasonic 14-45mm looks like the best 3rd option for my budget at the moment. Further down the line (a long way off) I may think about grabbing a fish-eye lens (SAMYANG 7.5 mm f / 3.5?). An Olympus 45mm is winging its way to me right now.

Siding towards these bags at the moment...

Crumpler Escape 150 with maybe a Ripoff BL-179EP belt bag for daily use.

13. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    They both look like good choices. Enjoy!
    DaveL
    Toronto

14. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Welcome and have fun with the OMD.

I can give a +1 to the Samyang 7.5mm - great little lens.