1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon D700 - To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by franklyspeaking, Jul 10, 2010.

1. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

The D700 has been out for two years now and I've been debating getting one ever since its release.

I'm finally close to having the funds to purchase a full frame camera and now I'm wondering if I should wait or go ahead and buy the D700.

My thought is the D700 while only 12mp gives great IQ and any update from Nikon would be in the 14mp range with hd video and probably retail for $500 to $100 more than the current D700 price. The difference between 12mp and 14mp in a full frame camera doesn't sound like much to me and I really don't care about video.

What's your take? Anyone in the same boat as me? Any D700 shooters out there can help settle my internal debate?

Thanks!
    -Frank

p.s. The reason for going to full frame is the lens selection (Fast and Wide lens availability) and low-light capability.

2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

3. franklyspeaking

Compared to the 5D MII or the D3x the D700 is only 12MP. That's not to say it's not a great camera. I am debating on buying one after all.

The core of my question is does anyone expect more of an update than what I've covered above.

4. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Check out a Sony A850 or a900. I had an 850 and loved it. BRIGHT, large viewfinder, logically laid out controls, beautiful files. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a 900 right now.

5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi

The D700 is a great camera, and can deliver really nice photographs. The 5D, 5D2 and the Sony 850 and 900 are competitors.

What will you use it for? This will really help others answer your questions, because each has particular strengths.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I doubt that Nikon will just go from 12 to 14MP - all the rival cameras are 20MP plus... so marketing will dictate that Nikon go that way too - unless they can offer some other selling point

just my thoughts

K

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. It's my understanding that they often use Sony sensors, but allied to their own software. I suspect something well north of 20mp.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    When I read the megapixel debate and I hear that 12mp is not enough I start to visualize everyone having gigantic pics mounted all over the walls of their huge houses. I do start to feel left out - am I the only one with a small house and limited hanging space?

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the megapixel debate has nothing to do with quality - its about selling cameras :)

K

10. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    the D700 is an incredible piece of kit -buy it.

Forget the MP race, I shoot a whole load of fashion and have never had anyone question my rubbish 12Mp from my D700!

11. franklyspeaking

I thought the same thing as well but when Nikon released the D3s as only 12mp it made me think that they might not be so inclined to release a 20mp or up camera to compete with the 5DMII. The D3x is way out of my price range.

I'm not debating megapixels here. I think 12mp is plenty. I'm not going to make billboard sized prints and have no misguided perceptions that a D700 camera will make me a better photographer. I simply want to make use of my full frame nikon glass without dealing with the darn 1.5 crop factor.

I agree.

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying it.

A camera purchase in the 2k to 3k range for me will need to be a camera I am happy shooting with for 5 years or so. I've had my F100 for just under 10 years and still love it. While I'm not hung up on MP, it might chap my a$$ a little if I buy a D700 for $2400 and two months later Nikon releases a 24mp camera for $2500. For no other reason than a major hit to resale value.

Maybe that's just life in the digital world.

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agreed its a difficult decision.. if you have Full frame Nikon AF glass then the D700 is the only choice today.... but it must be due for a rev real soon.

I went the canon route for a couple of reasons

1) Canon seemed to support more of my old legacy MF lenses

2) Video - I know this is heresay but that is a feature I want to explore

3) I had some Canon AF lenses

the number of pixels or even the relative ISO capabilaties didn't factor high in my priorities.

Unless there are pressing needs then I would hold off a couple of months...until the run up to Photokina... there either will be a D800 which will mean a) a new camera and b) a glut of pre-owned D700's

or there won't :)

cheers

K

13. franklyspeaking

That's good advice. Thanks.

I think I'll do just that. Photokina is only a few months away. I've waited this long, whats a few more months...

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Maybe bookmarking Nikonrumors.com might also give you some hints on how the wind is blowing.. they are just a rumour site - but there is seldom smoke without fire - the camera industry tends to be more loose lipped than the Apples of this world

K

15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    At this point unless you have a real need for one I would wait it out until fall to see what happens. I have had one since the week in came out almost 2 years ago, while it is still a fine camera and was an exceptional one when it was released I think the next step up is soon approaching. I do think it will have a slight MP upgrade but more important will be the updates in dynamic range and high ISO performance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. franklyspeaking

Thanks Kevin.

Good points. Thanks.

17. franklyspeaking

How do you like the ergonomics of the Canon? Did you go the 5DMII route?
    A lot of my Nikon glass is older MF and any of my AF lenses I could probably sell today at a profit so I'm not totally opposed to looking into Canon. Both of my brother in laws have 5dMII cameras and both love their cameras but I don't know if I'd end up really missing the thumb wheel and overall ergonomics of the nikon. One of them borrows my old Nikon MF lenses and uses them via an adapter all the time, I guess I could do the same.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Frank

I have the 5d mk2 - in the past i had used a 10D so the canon ergonomics were familiar to me. In addition I am not a big fiddler of settings when I am shooting - i tend to let the camera do its stuff and fix stuff in PP

K

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm guessing the D700 replacement will have the guts of a D3x plus video in a D700 style body.

I had a D700, and a Canon 5D prior to that. There were many things to love about the D700, but the one thing I really didn't like about it was that it was consderably heavier (to me) than the 5D. I tended to use both cameras with small primes, and the 5D felt better in hand.

20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I use both Canon and Nikon frequently. There are indeed significant differences in the two interfaces, but both are clearly very well thought out. My personal preference is for Canon, but I cannot claim this is because Nikon is inferior in any way.

You have to play hard with each to make a solid choice that suits your style.