Nikon D600 -- Massive Price Drop

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's $1899 at Target.
$1999 from what I can tell + you pay sales tax so may not be the best deal
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Omega

Mu-43 Regular
Just went to BestBuy earlier and they had a model on display for me to try out. (Pretty tiny by the way!)

$1999 was their price including the kit lens.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Amin... you HAVE a D600. A Nikon working photog for over 20 years, it is now mostly a hobby (and some product photos at my office). I've been bouncing around generally unsatisfied for a year or so since selling off my Nikon kit. The Olys were nice, I think I still prefer the E-PL2 and E-P3 over the OM-D though. Now I have about $2200 in a NEX-6 and 5 lenses. The same day the last lens showed up, this D600 deal broke. I'm mostly positive that the 24-85 and a 70-300VR would do 90% for me. Maybe a fast prime later.

So? How nice IS that D600? You're a great voice of reason...

moonmando

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Matt Caldwell
I have just bought a Nikon D300 with a Tamron 28-300mm lens for £460 off ebay,mint.Had intended buying an olympus 9-18mm to go with my Pen E-P3 but with the drop in prices of Nikons at the moment i`ve decided that it`s viable economically to run with two system setups,i.e,mu43 for portability and aps-c for times when portability is not an issue.
I believe Olympus are still punching above their weight in terms of pricing and until they come down a bit i`ll continue to build up my Nikon system.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin... you HAVE a D600. A Nikon working photog for over 20 years, it is now mostly a hobby (and some product photos at my office). I've been bouncing around generally unsatisfied for a year or so since selling off my Nikon kit. The Olys were nice, I think I still prefer the E-PL2 and E-P3 over the OM-D though. Now I have about $2200 in a NEX-6 and 5 lenses. The same day the last lens showed up, this D600 deal broke. I'm mostly positive that the 24-85 and a 70-300VR would do 90% for me. Maybe a fast prime later.

So? How nice IS that D600? You're a great voice of reason...
Thanks for the kind words. I think the D600 is pretty great. Some people say the 1/4000s shutter speed limit is a dealbreaker since the D800 has 1/8000s, but you have to keep in mind that the D600 base ISO is 100 in contrast to cameras like the D700 which had a base ISO of 200, so the low base ISO offsets the shutter speed limit.

My primary kit is Micro 4/3 and will be for a long time. I really appreciate the size/weight savings. Mostly I stick to an E-PM2 plus a couple tiny lenses like the Pana 14 and Oly 45 when I head out. The D600 was a luxury purchase for me - something I don't plan to use much but a nice change of pace for occasional use. I don't plan to get many lenses for it. Just two or three primes.

It's funny that people use AF as one of the main reasons to buy a DSLR over MFTs, because AF is one of the things I greatly prefer about MFTs over DSLRs. I have never been a fan of continuous AF. On my Nikons, I always use single shot AF. I mainly take photos of people. With MFT, you get near complete coverage of the frame with AF sensors, and as soon as they recognize a face they focus on the near eye (how I have it set) and optimize the exposure for the detected face. Or you can take away all guesswork and just tap the rear display where you want the focus - Bam.

On the D600, the AF sensors cover only the central half or so of the frame, and they are "dumb" sensors which don't know a face from a rear end. As such, I don't leave them on auto - they frustratingly choose the wrong subject as often as not. Instead, I use my thumb to select the AF sensor I want (center focus and recompose doesn't work so well for lenses that have field curvature) which is relatively labor intensive, especially when the subject is on the periphery and recomposing is needed.

But this is about you, not me. If you were happiest with your Nikon SLRs and zoom lenses, I imagine the D600 kit you mentioned would work very well for you. And the D600 is noticeably less hefty than the D700 I had before.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks. Every AF camera I use, first set is to turn it to S-AF and then select and lock the center focus point. I prefer to make those decisions and can do it really quickly after many years. That and knowing DOF hasn't let me down. Funny NEX thing is that if I compare it mentally to the D7000 (my last Nikon), I prefer the NEX. Compared to the OM-D, it is slower.

After calming down a bit from seeing that amazing sale, I have a lot of good lenses for the NEX. I think I'll ride it out for a while and settle in.

I REALLY appreciate the input. THANKS!!

shrimp123

Mu-43 Regular
anyone in the SF bay area wanting to buy a D600? wish i could tag along a 70-200 VR2. :)

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amin... you HAVE a D600. A Nikon working photog for over 20 years, it is now mostly a hobby (and some product photos at my office). I've been bouncing around generally unsatisfied for a year or so since selling off my Nikon kit. The Olys were nice, I think I still prefer the E-PL2 and E-P3 over the OM-D though. Now I have about $2200 in a NEX-6 and 5 lenses. The same day the last lens showed up, this D600 deal broke. I'm mostly positive that the 24-85 and a 70-300VR would do 90% for me. Maybe a fast prime later. So? How nice IS that D600? You're a great voice of reason...
Today I was shocked to learn a DSLR camera reviewer I've been listening to for the past couple years very recently published a video about why he has dumped all his big APC and full frame Canikons for m4/3 gear: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9ltjqPvwg]5 Reasons to Switch to M4/3 ( i.e. Olympus OM-D E-M5, EPL-5 or Pansonic GH3, GH2 ) - YouTube[/ame]

loko12345

Mu-43 Regular
Wow, this is very tempting, especially since my main use for my primary camera (most important shots) is for indoor shots (new baby), family events, etc...so portability is not a huge issue for me, and I could always get a good compact or a cheap m4/3 for when I need to have the portability. This is tough!

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
It's funny that people use AF as one of the main reasons to buy a DSLR over MFTs, because AF is one of the things I greatly prefer about MFTs over DSLRs. I have never been a fan of continuous AF. On my Nikons, I always use single shot AF. I mainly take photos of people. With MFT, you get near complete coverage of the frame with AF sensors, and as soon as they recognize a face they focus on the near eye (how I have it set) and optimize the exposure for the detected face. Or you can take away all guesswork and just tap the rear display where you want the focus - Bam.

On the D600, the AF sensors cover only the central half or so of the frame, and they are "dumb" sensors which don't know a face from a rear end. As such, I don't leave them on auto - they frustratingly choose the wrong subject as often as not. Instead, I use my thumb to select the AF sensor I want (center focus and recompose doesn't work so well for lenses that have field curvature) which is relatively labor intensive, especially when the subject is on the periphery and recomposing is needed.

Amin, I pretty much agree with your points based on having used the D600 for the past couple days. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the AF on the D600 really hasn't seemed a night and day difference over the latest crop of m4/3 cameras. I'm curious if it'd be appreciably different with something like the D800 or Canon 5D Mk III with the larger number of focus points.

tuanies

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Tuan Huynh
Man, that deal is so tempting. I wish I could just trade all my M43 gear for a D600 body >_< I'm in love with the DOF wide open, I love bokeh and shooting wide open.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin, I pretty much agree with your points based on having used the D600 for the past couple days. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the AF on the D600 really hasn't seemed a night and day difference over the latest crop of m4/3 cameras. I'm curious if it'd be appreciably different with something like the D800 or Canon 5D Mk III with the larger number of focus points.
Definitely not appreciably different. My brother has a D800, and I had a D700 before, which had more AF points. Pretty much in the same ballpark as the D600, and I'd be shocked if the 5D III was much better. Those cameras have better AF tracking than our MFT cameras, but the limited fram coverage and lack of face recognition is universal for the phase detect AF systems on all of those DSLRs.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Amin, thanks for the input - that's pretty much what I anticipated after looking at the AF specs between models. You do get more area coverage with more AF points at least, and the 5D Mk III looks to have much wider coverage. I've got a friend with a 5D3 so next time I see him I'll have to do some compare and contrast.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin, thanks for the input - that's pretty much what I anticipated after looking at the AF specs between models. You do get more area coverage with more AF points at least, and the 5D Mk III looks to have much wider coverage. I've got a friend with a 5D3 so next time I see him I'll have to do some compare and contrast.
Even the 5D III is far from the coverage we get with MFT cameras. See this simulation to get an idea: Autofocus Points - Canon 5D MK III | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's more like the D600 plus extra points (more density of AF points) but nothing like having coverage of the whole frame.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Do you guys really use whole-frame coverage? My OMD is set to 3x3 center and I've never wanted it to use the outer areas.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom