1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon d5100 or omd em1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by reallyjazzy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. reallyjazzy

reallyjazzy New to Mu-43

Oct 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Jasmine
    I have been debating for awhile whether I wanted to get the em1 along with some lenses, it would be my first micro four thirds camera. Currently I have a nikon d5100.

The thing is, I leave in two weeks for an 8 month long traveling adventure. I would only have about a week to learn the camera before I set off with no turning back. I have already pre-ordered one, but I find myself wondering if it's worth it to purchase the whole new system and bring it to Southeast Asia and India, or if I should stick with my nikon d5100, 18-200mm and 50mm.

So I guess I'm just looking for opinions- what would you do?

2. Siva

Siva New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Siva
    Hi Jasmine, I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm a canon user and was in the same situation as you... Contemplating whether to upgrade to canon 70D and tele zoom. I decided to get EM1 an preordered it, as it will be better for travel as well as I see it as a great camera ( I went through pretty much all the reviews so far). Hopefully I'll have some time playing with it before I set off to India on a 6 weeks trip. :smile:

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be very hesitant to take gear I wasn't extremely familiar with on a long trip. Traveling is enough of an ordeal without fumbling with unfamiliar gear.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This. You haven't explained why you're thinking of an E-M1, or what about the D5100 is inadequate or inconvenient for you.

5. reallyjazzy

reallyjazzy New to Mu-43

Oct 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Jasmine
    Size/weight of lenses and weather sealing are possibly the two main factors

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jasmine and Siva
    Welcome to this wonderful forum . I have one simple advice .. When travelling to SE Asia including India .. Just keep ur kit simple and up obstructive . A bigger D5100 with 18-200 will attract lot more attention rather than a simple MFT . It saves a lot of unwanted attention and people won't notice u too much . EM1 has proven EM5 sensor and is an exellent MFT camera . Now Jasmine , if you u know ur basics well then two week's time is more than enough to know a camera . Infact u can pick up a used EPM1 to make urself familiar with Olympus menu .
    Cheers

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You have qualified the two factors that you have mentioned with "possibly". If these are the main factors, then considering an E-M1 makes sense if you like what a m4/3rd's sensor can provide you. If these are not the main factors, then I would ask what are your main factors for wanting to switch, and identifying what the D5100 is not capable of doing for you. In terms of IQ, the D5100 should be able to produce quite nice images, so I am guessing that this is not an issue.

Good luck,

--Ken

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    D5100's are fantastic cameras. A M43 will be smaller, but not that much lighter. The reality is a larger sensor of the same generation always wins. So you'll be trading size for IQ.

9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    in terms of image quality I prefer my trusty D5100 to my epm2.

If u want convenience, not so attract attention and lightweight then just go for m43.

10. Siva

Siva New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Siva
    I have picked up my EM1 yesterday, I familiarising myself with the features and functions of it. Initial impression is great. Have taken a few indoor pictures of kids. They look great. I'll take it out and take get more pictures. I got 4 more weeks before travel. I'll be completely familiar with it by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk