1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera finally announced

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by panamike, Jul 10, 2018.

1. KeithT

KeithT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2017
    South Africa
    Keith Temlett
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lol moon mode. How many photos of the moon does anybody need? It kind of looks the same most of the time (accounting for the cyclic phases of course).

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Crazy or not, you have to appreciate the engineering that went into a 125x zoom range. The actual focal length on this has to be about 4-500mm given the crop factor. That's pretty impressive in any sensor size.

So does the Eiffel tower, and yet everyone has to take their own shots when they visit Paris.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm sure it's decent for what it is.

It is also HUGE.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Oh, you bet! I suspect the P1000 might be camera that finally answers the question: "Is there such thing as too much reach?"

I enjoyed a brief dalliance with the P900 -- see this: A trip to the land of astonishment – initial impressions of the Nikon P900

What finally put me off it was that the jpegs seemed to have a yellowish cast which would require post-processing for virtually every shot. With the P1000, I wonder if I can hold 3000mm (e) steady, even with 5 stops of IBIS. Nevertheless, my current plan is to find out in September. Also, the P1000 reported shoots RAW.

(and thanks for thinking of me)

Cheers, Jock

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    It's technically interesting overkill (purely for marketing purposes).
    Thanks to diffraction it has effectively 1MP of resolution at 3000 mm.

8. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Okay, I'll bite: how does that work?

Cheers, Jock

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just a guess before Machi replies: diffraction at f8?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Some people could even take the fun out of sex

images3.

Just joking

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    There is a physical limit and when it's reached, there is no other information gained by another magnification of the image. It is given by diffraction effects and sampling of image by camera's sensor. Diffraction effects blurs point source of light to the circular spot called Airy disc.
    Size of Airy disc is given by aperture diameter.
    If you want sample an image in such way that all possible information is gained then you need sample Airy disc 3× per its diameter. With P1000 this will be achieved with lens at f/5.6.
    This means that maximum reasonable focal lenght for P1000 is ~2000 mm (the same as P900) if it's using maximum available aperture diameter (~67 mm).
    In practice it's more complicated as real lenses generally does not produce perfect Airy disc.
    Image of point source is blurred more and in more complicated ways thanks to aberrations of optical system and this further reduces resolution of system. Also Bayer filter mask plays its role.

From more practical viewpoint you can try this simple test of it.
    Download full resolution image from P1000.
    Downsample it by some value (for example 50% for 1500mm eq. focal lenght) and then upsample it again to 3000mm (with slight sharpening for compensating imperferctions of resampling).
    Then compare original image with downsampled/upsampled image.
    If there is a real gain of information thanks to longer focal lenght then original image will contain clearly more details. If not then there is no gain by using longer focal lenghts.
    (I tried it with multiple photos from P900 and P1000 and my conclusion is that after ~1000-1500mm there is probably nothing to achieve by another zooming).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Thanks very much for the kind and informative answer.

So, if the camera forces you to f/8, your image will lose resolution due to diffraction . . . is that a roughly accurate summary?

Cheers, Jock

13. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    You're welcome!

It depends on sampling. With smaller pixels image is better sampled and diffraction effects are visible sooner. That's why at f/8 P1000 with 1.3 microns pixel is diffraction limited but FF camera with 6 microns pixels isn't. It also means that despite fact that for P1000's 16Mpix photos 3000mm focal lenght is an overkill the same isn't true for lower resolution video which is sampled at lower resolution (so P1000's 3000mm eq. focal lenght could be useful for Full HD video).
    Also deteoriorating effects of diffraction are visible even when image still isn't fully sampled as it lowers contrast between small details in the image.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    As much of a fan as i am of superzoom cameras the 3000mm will have limited use, it looks to turn out an image good enough for loads of users but not that good.

You can down load this 3000mm shot and see for yourself.

Nikon Coolpix P1000 official samples

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The new P1000 means prices are likely to drop further on the P900. Perhaps I might pick one up then. I always thought the P900 would make a cool photographic toy/experimental tool. But I could never justify it at full price.

16. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    If they dont discontinue it to make you buy the P1000 ;) 

I found the P900 well worth the money and wish i had never sold it, not sure most folk could do as well editing the P1000 raw files as the Nikon jpeg engine will do.

17. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    This relates:

A possible application of the P1000?

I have to admit I get fascinated by the question of "What's the limit of how far your can photograph and still get a usable image?"

The tricky bit here, it seems to me, is defining what is a "usable image."

Here are some examples:

Taken from a sitting position at well over 1200mm (e):

HX400V Peebles Island 031-001 copy.
    The HX400V at maxed out digital zoom:

Sony long range ducks 006.JPG

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    A "usable image" is what you say it is, Jock. It's in the eye of the beholder. For example, I think there is no doubt cameras with the so-called one-inch sensors can be used without reservation up to and including ISO 3200. Others would never consider it... limiting themselves to ISO 800.

Also, coming originally from film, I don't mind a bit of grain in my images. Others, who obviously started in digital, think a photo is ruined if any grain at all is visible.

How one is viewing an image is also a factor. How many of us are zooming into a 100 percent view? Are we looking at a print, on a computer monitor or on a phone? And how is the shot being used? Is it a casual happy snap or being used in a text book or advertisement?

So the question of how much zoom you can employ and still have a "usable image" can only be answer by "at what point are you personally not pleased with the results?"

My answer: "It depends."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Wow, a sensor with a 3.8 crop factor. That must be an amazing sensor to create such good photo/video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.