Nikon Convert Chimes in on the OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jmullane, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jmullane

jmullane New to Mu-43

Oct 2, 2012
    Did you ever just feel VERY comfortable with a camera? I mean, you just knew that you would get the shot and it would deliver?

I loved my Nikon D300. Yes, it was big and bulky but I always felt confident that I could count on the result. It never really let me down. Fast forward two years and I sell it for a D7000. It was a mistake. I never felt the same about the body and not nearly as confident in what it would produce. I decided (after a very long deliberation) to sell all of my Nikon gear and move to m4/3 and the OMD. I had experience early on with the Olympus E-500 and really liked that body.

I'm starting to really like my decision. The size was the first thing that sold me. I'm taking more pictures because I don't have to lug around the Nikon gear. The IBIS is a real thing. It works. The metering is dead on and the JPEG's out of the camera are rather stunning. Something that I don't see discussed very much is the off camera flash ability. I would put it right up there with Nikon CLS.

I'm pretty pumped up about the primes available as that is the way I shoot mostly. I even find the kit lens (12-50) very acceptable.

I'm starting to feel pretty confident about the camera just as I felt about the D300. I know this is very subjective but it just feels good. I miss the CAF of the Nikon body but I knew that going in. I'm actually a little surprised that the tracking is not as bad as I had read in a few reviews.

I always felt it was a gamble buying a new body (let alone a new system) without the opportunity to shoot for a couple of hundred shots. Obviously this is a little hard to do sometimes so I write this quick review to those who may be sitting on the fence. The OMD is the real thing.

Just a quick shot as an example. Bad light, through a glass window and hand held.

20mm Pany at 1.7 and 1/100

I'd like to hear from other Nikon converts who share the same feeling...

• Like Like x 8
  2. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I moved from a Nikon D700 kit with 2.8 zooms to an OMD as well. I'm enjoying shooting more and carry it with me more often. The primes are awesome and I'm thinking about the 35-100mm if it drips a bit in price.

Overall, I don't regret my decision at all.

Just a hobbyist.
  3. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    I never did go full frame but I I have had Nikon from the D70 on up to the D7000. I was always interested in the Pens but never felt the image quality was there until I tried my wife's EP-3. Then the OM-D came out and I sold everything accept two lenses that I could use with adapters and have not once felt that I made a mistake. We now have nice collection of primes and have been happily shooting ever since. I love the size. I am packing for a little road trip and everything fits in my Retrospective 5. I have the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm, kit lens (in case of ugly weather), vertical grip and extra batteries. A nice neat little package!
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was never in the Nikon camp, but I was an E-System DSLR user like you, and that positive experience brought me into Micro Four-Thirds. Difference was though, that I moved with the first E-P1 Digital Pen and was a current E-System shooter, using the E-3 at the time. The Pen series is what prevented me from eventually upgrading to the E-5. I fell in love with the smaller format instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    I am also a Nikon convert. My Nikon cameras go way back. My first Nikon was a FA, next was a F100, and finally I wanted to try out digital so I bought a D3000. No comparison to what you had but it was a start.

Wanting a new camera and better camera I was seriously thinking is buying a D7000. However, I am getting tired of lugging around all that weight. Many times I would find my self just taking my P&S Panasonic when I would go out.

I started looking at the OMD and it interested me very much. The next thing I knew I was selling all my Nikon equipment. I am now the proud owner of an OMD, 12-5mm, 40-150mm, and a 45mm lens. I now have my sights on a 12, 75, and the new 17mm lenses.

Recently I took a trip to southern Florida and took my new toy. I'm very happy with the results. I'm hooked ?
  6. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Welcome, here's a glass of Kool Aid. :wink:

I am not fully converted, but I'm close. Sports photography is still very important to me, and my D700/D300 kit just does that better. But everything else is soooo close, and the m4/3 equipment has gotten so good and is such a pleasure to use.

I think, sometimes, it's like we're back in the 1930s and discovering Leicas. :smile: :biggrin:
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The OMD is certainly converting a lot of DSLR users. It's evident in the influx of new members to this forum since it's release!

Welcome and enjoy your stay. :wink:
  9. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    I moved to the E-PL2, the OM-D and a used G-2. Had all Nikon DSLR's (D2X. D-300s. D-90. D-80) No regrets, although I must admit I do sometimes miss my D300s.
  10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Hi Jim,

I have been a 100% Nikon shooter for 20 plus years and have a plethera of gear. Hey I am a collector... plus I got a bad case of NAS... (D800, D700, D300 plus 23 Nikkor lenses). A while back the M/43 system got my eye, but I just didn’t see the primes and bodies that would make me consider it over my Nikon system. Then the OMD came out along the 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8. And then the 75mm f/1.8 was announced. These 3 lenses would make a heck of kit, assuming the OMD could live up to its expections. So I took the plunge and bought the OMD along with, initially, the 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/1.8.

Over the last two months I used these lenses in my portrait work along side my D800 and my all time favoirite lens, the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4. The Oly 45mm f/1.8 did a very credible job. The autofocus in low light was slightly better, as the 45 did not hunt like the AFS on the 85mm. Quite shocking really. The bokeh was very good (but the 85mm is better.)

Plus, as you said, the OMD size, IBIS, metering and jpegs are just terrific, not to mention the retro look and the silver lenses :cool: The OMD and M/43 system passed the test wtih flying colors, and then some.

Am I going to go 100% to M/43 like you, no. The OMD is a really, really good body, but it is not a D700, let alone a D800, for many reasons. I will keep the D700, the most comfortable camera I have every had, and the D800, along with some key primes, the 70-200VR and the manual AIS lenses I picked up in the last year, no matter what. (The switch to the smaller, better built, and sometimes better performing, manual AIS lenses late last year is what got me started thinkng about the M/43 format in the first place ) And a adaptor allows for AIS lenses to work just fine on the OMD.

It might come down to the Nikon gear being used only in the studio or where I can drive to shoots and not have to carry gear too far, and the OMD for everything else. I have sold my DX lenses along with half dozen other Nikkors and soon will be donating the D300 and some additional lenses to a friend. I have gained confidence in the OMD, as you mentioned, and for my upcoming 28 day trip to Thailand, it will be the first time since 2003 that I will not be carrying a Nikon body and bunch of Nikkor lenses there. (Unless, of course, I decide last moment to take the D700 and 50mm AIS f/1.2 along.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Sold all my Nikon gear when I saw the IQ of the OM-D and the nice m43 lenses that were out.

I downsized my bag from a Think Tank Retrospective 10 (D300s) to the Retrospective 5.

In actuality, the OM-D is better noise-wise, and much easier to carry around.
  12. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    While I'm not fully "converted" (yet), I may be on my way. I was shooting with the Nikon D80, then upgraded to the D300 about 3-4 years ago. I've been very happy with the D300, but found that lugging around a backpack full of heavy glass (17-55; 70-300; etc) was getting old (along with me :smile:).

So, a few months ago, I took the :43: plunge with the OM-D E-M5. Now I find that the Nikon gear is mostly collecting dust. (But I haven't brought myself to want to sell it yet....) For what I shoot (landscapes; scenics; outdoor photography), I find that the OM-D fits the bill quite nicely. I only have 3 lenses so far - the kit 12-50 (which is on the camera 90% of the time), the Panasonic 20/1.7 and the 40-150. I'd like something wider, but haven't taken the final step on a 9-18 or 7-14.

...And this has been a great forum to learn about the gear too.
  13. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I am a Nikon shooter but haven't dumped the DSLR's (and don't plan to in the near future). My D800's and glass are used for birding, wildlife, motor sports, aircraft, pet portraits (with multiple Speedlights via Pocket Wizard TTL) and deliberate landscapes (trips specifically for shooting a particular scene). My OM-D and prime lenses are used for general wandering around photos, travel, insects (DOF and ease of one handed shooting) and most anything else when I am not either shooting from the car or packing equipment for a specific photographic purpose.

Take away the more specialized pursuits (racing, wildlife/birds & complex flash rigs) and I can see where the OM-D would be pretty compelling for "average enthusiast photography".

If they get the C-AF performance on par with SLR's and get some serious long glass, the mid to low end DSLR market is in trouble.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jmullane

jmullane New to Mu-43

Oct 2, 2012
    Interesting. Upon reflection of my original post, I may have come off as some sort of fan boy related to my enjoyment of the OMD. I'm still very excited but your post brought me back to earth a little bit and I thank you. You bring up good points regarding the use of your Nikon gear. I think anyone sitting on the fence should take your thoughts into consideration when selecting the Olympus system. Thanks.
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The OM-D handles "complex flash rigs" the same as a Nikon or anybody else. I'm a full-time commercial photographer and make 100% of my living shooting with extensive lighting. I don't see the difference between using my lights with a Micro Four Thirds system or a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Fuji, Four-Thirds, Hasselblad, or Mamaiya. Lighting is cross-compatible and has nothing to do with brand or size of camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Also a long time Nikon user although my first digital was an Olympus E10 way back when. I was getting pretty tired of hauling around the 2.8 glass and associated gear so started looking at something smaller. Didn't take the leap untill last year and hiking around Mexico... 40lbs of gear on my back in 100F+ heat and I knew it was time. Picked up an OM-D and just the 12-50kit lens and was quite impressed. Sold off all my Nikon gear and ended up with the Pany 12-35 and 100-300 plus the Oly 45 and now the 75. I also have a couple of FL600's for lighting.

Considering I used to travel with my gear in a TT Airport International roller bag and I now carry it in a TT Retro 5; my print quality hasnt dropped a bit, my wife doesnt have to listen to me groan of a sore back/shoulder and I'm having more fun with photography than I have in years, it was a great switch!
  17. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I went from a D7000 to an EM5, but in a roundabout way. I bought one of the first Fuji X100s, just for a carry everywhere camera when I didn't want to take the Nikon and all the lenses I might need.

It was so enjoyable and converted me to fixed focal lengths. Soon I hardly used the Nikon at all. But sometimes I missed the flexibility of interchangeable lenses (but not the weight of the big Nikkors).

When the OM-D came out, I was hooked. Tried it with the 20mm and the Olympus 45mm and sold my Nikon gear shortly after.

Like you, Jim, my back and shoulders are the better for it and my pictures too!

OM-D E-M5, Samyang 7.5, O9-18, P20, O40-150, O45, Fuji X100, Hadley small: enthusiastic beginner!
  18. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Bought the EM5 in May. Sold my Nikon D5000 in June. No regrets.
  19. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I too sold my Nikon gear and made the segue to :43:. I no longer have the need to shoot indoor sports in poor lighting conditions (the grandchildren have moved on), and the weight of a D300 with grip and 70-200 2.8 lens is burdensome at the end of a day of sightseeing. (I tested the waters with an E-PL1 with the two kit lenses before venturing into the EM5).

There's no doubt that, for me, the D300 is better at constant focusing on fast moving objects (it can be done with the OM-D EM5 but not as easily) and I feel (with no data to back it up) that the D300 has a more solid feel and a longer-lived shutter mechanism than the EM5.

That being said, I in no way regret my decision to move to a lighter kit.

I have noticed one odd thing - for over 40 years of shooting with 35mm SLR and DSLR cameras I've had to struggle to "palm" the lens in my left hand. I just naturally tend to put my fingers on top of the lens and thumb underneath, instead of the more stable cradling of the lens in my palm. With the EM5 I've found that cradling seems to be the natural way to hold the camera - even when I don't consciously remember to check. I've had small camera bodies before (my first 'real' camera was a 35mm Pen FT) and don't recall a camera that I've held so naturally.

On the other hand the grip does get in the way of my finger finding the F2 1button :frown:; sometimes I inadvertently find the shutter button on the body instead. A firmware to power off the 'in body' shutter button when the grip was attached would be nifty.

For me, at this stage in life, the EM5 had perfect timing.

20. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I use the TTL PW Flex equipment for my Nikons - no Olympus version is available. I agree that regular PW Plus or Oly wireless flashes are similar to the C/N stuff.