Nikon Adaptor confusion

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gummyrabbit, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Pretty much they all do the same thing. The bottom two are identical if you look at the pics.

Since the older Nikons had their aperture control at the base of the lens apparently the first one adds a rotating ring that can hook into it. Not certain if there is any real benefit, but they should all attach the same lenses.

I wonder if the aperture control ring acts like the preset control on older lenses - that could be worth a few extra $ for convenience.

3. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Nikon G series lens do not have a diaphragm ring. Their aperture is controlled from the Nikon body. As I recall, they will be completely stopped down if you mount them on a micro four thirds camera body. So, I presume, the adapter will allow you to "open" the lens aperture and have a variable aperture lens. I don't have a G mount lens to test this out--but this is what I read on some posts of older Nikon equipment. The last two mounts, the F mount and the Non AI lens mount should work fine with all the older Nikon lenses that have an aperture.

Hope this helps

Brian

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Ah, that makes sense. Since I rarely used Nikon I forgot that distinction. Thanks for correcting me.

5. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still shoot my Nikon--mixing and matching my Panasonic system with it. I have many old lenses and when Nikon removed the aperture ring on the G-series lens, I made a point of avoiding these models! But it is nice to know there is an adapter for the micro four thirds system for those lenses. It is a rather cute solution and I suspect this adapter would work on all the Nikon lenses--but I never had one in my hand to test it out. I have an old Nikon 300mm f2.8 lens I picked up on eBay and I thought I would never use it again--but now that I have the Panasonic G1--this lens has been resurrected as a convenient 600 mm f2.8!

Brian

6. yogz

yogz Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2010
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    My Novoflex adapter has an open/close ring, it indeed opens up the aperture from the set value like you say. It's also possible to set the aperture of a G-type lens anywhere between wide open and the smallest aperture, but you don't have an indicator that gives you the exact aperture value.

8. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I wonder what the quality is like on the adapters cited by the OP. The price is certainly good!