Nikon 55mm 2.8 AIS for $120 or 55mm 3.5 AI for $100

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zucchiniboy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for all the help on my thread about inexpensive options for macro. I might have the opportunity to buy either the Nikon 55mm f/3.5 or the f/2.8, the former for $100, and the latter for $120. Any thoughts on which one to go for, if condition is equal?

Thanks!

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Easy, go for the Nikkor 55/3.5. It has more contrast, is sharper for macro and close-ups and the 55/2.8 has a real risk of acquiring oil on the aperture blades.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks Ad. Would you say that $100 is a fair price for it?

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm not in the US, but my gut feeling is that it's a fair price but not a real steal. In Europe a good sample would go for € 50 to € 90, depending on condition and exact model, so $100 (€ 75) seems OK.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Those are about fair U.S. prices, as long as the lens is in good condition. Basically, the guy knows exactly what his lenses are, which could be a good thing for you, as they were likely maintained better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Some more help please!

Okay, so I just checked out the Nikon 55mm f/3.5 AI, and the focus seemed a little stiff to me. Unfortunately, I don't have another to compare it to. I did compare it to a 28mm f/2.8 which was also there, and that one was at least twice as loose when focusing. I definitely had to put some energy into the turning, slight tension on my elbow as I did it. The 55mm f/2.8 did not move at all, so definitely a stiff focus problem and let that one go.

Is it because of the longer throw of the 55mm being a macro, or is it actually a problem? I walked away, but wanted to hear from some of you actual 55mm f/3.5 owners to see.

7. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    The 55mm has a very long focus throw, so that's not something to worry about. The focus should be a bit stiffer than a normal lens so that critical focus doesn't slip, but not so stiff that it requires effort. It sounds as though the one you examined had something wrong with it.

8. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    EthanFrank - thanks for the help!