Nikon 50mm/f1.8 and Lumix G5 help!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by retroglide, Feb 15, 2013.

1. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    I have a Nikon 50mm/f1.8 and a Lumix G5, I was thinking of getting one of THESE and was wandering if this would indeed fit on my Lumix G5?

Any help appreciated :thumbup:
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That will work fine. I would order more than one though. Many cheap adapters may not give you an accurate distance scale and will require shimming to get it spot on. Find one that's accurate and return the other adapters!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yes, it will fit your G5 and the Nikon lens will fit it.

Whether it will "work fine" is a matter of question as you don't state which 50mm f/1.8 lens you have. Nikon has made quite a number of different versions.

The adapter you link to will work fine if, and only if, your 50mm f/1.8 has its own f/stop ring. If you have the "AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G" version, which lacks an f/stop ring, you would then need THIS VERSION, which will work with the f/stop ringless G lenses and with those that have an f/stop ring of their own.
  4. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Sorry for not stating which exact model. It's in fact the 50mm/f1.8 D so the first adapter mentioned should do the trick?

On a side note, can I expect a decent enough image result with this lens, sharpness wise etc? I have the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 and was wandering how that would compare?
  5. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Have decided to order a m4/3 adapter and fit it to my Lumix G5. Would anyone have any advice with regards to camera settings needed once the lens is fitted (manual focus/shoot with no lens attached etc)? Also, if anyone has used this lens, what kind of iq can I expect on a m4/3 body?
  6. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Nikon lens you have is a very well regarded lens for it's sharpness. I would say it is likely sharper than the 20mm, objectively, but I would hesitate to compare them since you are looking at a huge difference in effective focal length (40mm vs. 100mm) and another of other factors (manual versus autofocus, etc.).

I will say that when I get it "right" with my Canon FD adapted glass the sharpness and image quality is second to none and you can likely expect much the same from the Nikon. But I'm not an experienced manual shooter yet so I have a lot more throw-aways as well.
  7. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks, im certainly looking forward to trying it out.
  8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I don't know about the Nikon being sharper. The 20mm is renowned for sharpness. People use the legacy lens for several reasons. They might already have them, they are cheaper than native, and/or they like their characteristics, meaning color rendition,bokeh, contrast etc.... But your results with a fast 50mm will depend mostly upon you as most 50mm's are good lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That Nikkor is a nice and sharp lens! Fully open it is a bit soft but very very sharp at f2.8 up. I personally like the 50mm focal length on m4/3 and kept two of my old Nikon 50mm lenses{f1.4 and the E series 1.8}. The trick will be getting your focus spot on since it will be manual. I never used that lens adapted but I find my other two 50mm lenses fairly easy to focus. In bright light and with the lens stopped down a bit I can nail focus without using the magnify.
  10. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Well I have taken my first shot with the lens.
    Seems to perform pretty well.

• Like Like x 4