Nikon 50mm 1.8d?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slivvy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. slivvy

slivvy Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I'm curious, I have searched this forum but not found any threads talking about the nikon 50mm 1.8d as an adapted lens. It seems like it would be a pretty good value lens for something new, fast aperture, and sharp? Has anyone adapted this lens to MFT? If so can you provide some samples?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's a decent enough lens. Build quality isn't as nice as the old models and the focus throw is pretty short (it is intended as an AF lens) but it works well enough. Main optical downside is the relatively poor bokeh and low contrast at wide apertures.

If you already have one, it's certainly worth trying. But if not, there are lots of less expensive 50mm primes that are optically as good and mechanically nicer to use (Nikon's own 50/1.8 AI-S being but one example).

DH

3. A lens like this might be useful to adapt if you already happen to own one, but I wouldn't go seeking out a (relatively) modern autofocus lens to use as a manual focus lens on a m4/3 camera.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS MF mark III lens since you can get one cheaper and they're optically the same.

Here it is on the E-PM1:

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've never really used my 50mm Nikon on m43 camera's before and this thread made me stick it on my OM-D.

I was wondering Jonathan if this lens is the E version or the standard Nikon issue. I bought it in Prague and don't know what version it is.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7188567453/" title="My OM-D and adapted Nikon 50mm by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="My OM-D and adapted Nikon 50mm"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7373800128/" title="My OM-D and Nikon 50mm by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 7373800128_6b8c1722a3_c. "800" height="601" alt="My OM-D and Nikon 50mm"></a>

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's definitely a ver. III 50mm. Here's the stats:

NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8 4121878

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Jonathan, I knew you'd have a fair idea.

So ideally it's better than the E version?

Mine still has a yellow sticker on the focus ring that says

passed
    JCII 71
    C/D JMDC

8. slivvy

slivvy Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Cool thank you for all the responses. That answers my question as to why this is not discussed often :)

9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

The Series E lens came in two variants. The first had an all-black finish. The second had a chrome knurled ring around the lens barrel.

The all-black one had mainly single layer coating. The one with the chrome ring has multi-coating, but it may not have been the full Nikon Integrated Coating that was applied to AIS lenses. No-one knows for sure.

Yours is an AIS Nikkor so is the best of the lot. It says "Nikon NIKKOR" on the bezel. The Series E lenses had "Nikon Series E" on the bezel because they were not Nikkors.

Both Series E versions and your AIS Nikkor had identical optics apart from the coating differences. The same basic optical design continues today in the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

All are very sharp across the frame when stopped down to f/8 or f/11. Wide open, the sharpness and contrast suffers and the bokeh is horribly harsh. Really horrible. Not to be used for portraiture! :wink: