Nikon 50mm 1.4 fungus issue?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by David, Dec 26, 2011.

1. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011

digging old boxes at home. I found my old Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens . I had this
    with my old NIkon FM years ago. everything is fine. I can see there are a
    light grey/ white mould grown on the inside of the glass . THis glass sit behind the aperture blades .towards the mpunting.

I put it in the sun all day today. BUt I am hesitate to put it on the adaptor to try on the new Olympus EPM1.

Is it worth trying to get someone to clean it off ? or are these dont worth much at all and I should just look for a zuiko 50mm 1.4 or something like that ?

thanks in advance
  2. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010

If you can get it cleaned fort a reasonable price it might be well worth the effort.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Some time ago I talked with a repair shop about removing fungus from a lens. They told me that it is quite tricky and that the lens doesn't get any better from being disassembled. I don't know how much a Nikkor 50/1.4 would cost, but you can get 50/1.4's from other brands for around € 50. I would just get another one.
  4. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    It would probably cost more to clean it than to get a new 1.4, Nikon or another brand. But it won't cost nearly as much as the closest M43 lens would be.
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I have an old uncoated (amber) one. They're fantastic, I picked it up on ebay for about $70, and usually run $60-100 depending on how beat up they are. But yeah, it's probably more cost effective to just get a "new" one.
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Go over to They have a subforum dedicated to restoring manual lenses and old equipment ie - View Forum - Equipment Care and Repairs

From my understanding, fungus can 'eat' into the glass surface, but depending on severity this may only affect IQ a little if at all. So if you are not adverse to using tiny screw drivers perhaps it will be fun to take the lens apart and see if you can clean it. There may be some directions on how to do this for your specific lens somewhere on the net. There are some excellent general resources at the subforum linked above.
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Putting the lens in the sun is unneccessary and ineffective. Even if it did kill the fungus you would need to clean off the remains. There's also no point in killing the fungus since fungal spores are everywhere anyways. I would just take it apart yourself. Most lenses are really easy to disassemble. I've only been defeated by one lens, a Kodak M Mount which seems to have seemless construction. I use a bit of alcohol to get the fungus off. Once off, I've never found any evidence of etching. I've never had it come back. It's never "infected" my other lenses. The spores are everywhere, you can't kill it. The key is to have an environment that doesn't promote it's growth. Luckily, I live in a hot dry environment. The lenses I get with fungus are from moist environments.
  8. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Old Nikon lens are easy to open/clean. Fungus will usually appear near the front or back glass, or at the middle near the iris blades. So you will probably need to clean just 2 pieces of glass. You will need alcohol to kill the fungus spores, optical cleaning fluid/paper and a blower to remove the dust spots. If the fungus is in the front glass and away from the center, i would not mind living with it. I have cleaned several lens and never found damaged coating caused by fungus. If you have any cheap/spoiled lens at home, you can start with them to learn how to do it safely. I don´t have a lens spanner, I use a philips screw driver, with tape on the tip to avoid it from scratching. I also put some painting tape over the glass to protect it while opening each glass element. Finding the lens (cut plan) diagram over the internet will help you understand what you are doing.