Showcase Nikon 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor C

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by grantb, Jul 2, 2012.

1. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Here is a long lens, legendary for its soft, blurry images, donut bokeh, and nearly impossible-to-focus razor thin DOF. This is a OM mount version, unprocessed jpgs taken on E-P3 with Fotodiox OM adapter.

P6240172.

P6240088.

P6240101.

P6240129.

100% crop:
    P6240126.

2. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    The old Nikon 500mm f8 reflex is capable of some decent results. Here is a picture that I took a couple of years ago.

Lumix G1, Nikkor 500mm f8 reflex, monopod, through my back window:

http://fototime.com/5F0EC0629E1199F/orig.jpg" border=0 alt="Hosting provided by FotoTime">

--Warren

• Like Like x 1
  3. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for posting that Warren. Your copy looks a good margin better than the one I borrowed. Is it the later Nikkor N version?

Oh well, at least the super long FL lets me take pictures of your neighbors cat from all the way over here in Washington ;)

P6240064-aa.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    GrantB,

LOL! That's a well-traveled cat :)

Mine is the single coated version. I've used it with many different cameras: Nikon F2s, F3HP, F4s, D100, and now my Lumix mu-43 cameras. I got lucky and got a good one.

--Warren

5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Grant - thanks for posting. I bought a Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror lens a month ago and was surprised at how soft the images could be, and how narrow the DOF was. I remember seeing some sharp photos taken with these types of lenses in National Geo magazine back in the 80s, so was surprised that I did not see the same degree of sharpness. Is it all about nailing focus precisely? I thought it might be camera shake as well.

You and Warren have a few sharp photos, though. Any suggestions from you guys on how to ensure better sharpness with this lens are appreciated.

Some of the images with the 600 below:

P6092271.
    P5272084. P5272077. P5272124.

6. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Penfan, you pretty much stated the requirements for getting sharp pictures using a lens of this focal length: accurate focus and controlling camera movement. It is very difficult to do both correctly on super telephotos. I try to use as high an ISO as I can get away with to get the fastest shutter speed possible, and I try to use a monopod or tripod if possible. I am also careful to get the best focus possible. If you feel that you are doing both things correctly, and your photos are still not sharp, then it's possible that the lens itself is not very sharp to begin with. I have successfully handheld my Reflex-NIKKOR 500mm when shooting with film or aps-c cameras, but with the ultra-narrow 1000mm equivalent FOV on my Mu-43 bodies, hand holding is very, very difficult.

--Warren

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    500mm/8 mirror lenses are EXTREMELY difficult to focus and hand hold, next to impossible. Here's a shot taken with the OM Zuiko 500/8 mirror lens on a tripod, 2 second delay and electric cable release; and the lens it's self mounted on the M5.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The original Reflex-Nikkor 500/8 (single coated), handheld on the Nikon F2.

[​IMG]

And on a heavy tripod.

[​IMG]

I forget the screen used, probably an "E" screen. The split-prism usually blacks out with the 500.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Yes, as I said, hand holding a super-tele is very difficult, but not impossible. :smile:

Here's a handheld shot taken with my Nikon D100 and Reflex-NIKKOR 500mm f8, the single-coated version:

http://fototime.com/BEF3B5BF274C191/orig.jpg" border=0 alt="Hosting provided by FotoTime">

--Warren

• Like Like x 3
  10. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I actually bought the lens for an air show and had a bear of a time getting any decent photos. I guess I have to work on my pre focusing skills again. Nice shot of the F18.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Just to clarify Nikon Markings: The "C" in Reflex-Nikkor-C means that the optics were multi-coated. My version does not have the "C". You lucky guys.

Pre-focus and "Follow-Focus as in this shot" is important as the lens will focus past infinity: this was done as temperature affects the actual infinity focus.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    500mm reflex Nikkor

500mm_reflex_Nikkor_042_-_Copy.JPG

Handheld in my back yard. Two very important caveats with this lens. Focus very carefully and be sure to use an adequate shutter speed, even with IS. I usually get one good picture out of each 5 attempts.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Brian, my version is the early model of the compact: Reflex-NIKKOR, Serial#51xxxx, which is single coated. I've seen even this model referred to as a Reflex-Nikkor.C, but the barrel of the lens only shows: Reflex-NIKKOR. So mine is the early, single coated version like yours :). Thanks for the clarification.

--Warren

14. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I took these yesterday morning after my morning run. Tripod mounted, it's the Nikon f/8 reflex-c with a Nikon mount adapted to my OM-D. I used the 2-sec delay for shutter release. I bought this from a friend for $200. He wouldn't part with his Tamron 500mm f/8 but this has a tripod mount and the Tamron does not. It's almost as sharp as the Tamron, IMO.

image-3350973111.

image-2266410958.

• Like Like x 1
  15. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    This is still one of my favorite lenses to keep with me. These are hand held using the OM-D E-M5 on a well lit day to shoot relatively slow moving white pelicans. I got quite a few good shots, surprisingly. The more I use it, the better I get with both manually focusing and learning to prefocus and anticipate the subjects moving through the field of focus. I usually have it attached to a relatively heavy monopod which I use as a sort of steadicam to add downward weight when I'm tracking the larger birds.

BirdWatching_OLY6456-L.

BirdWatching_OLY6494-L.

BirdWatching_OLY6511-L.

BirdWatching_OLY6501-L.

BirdWatching_OLY6500-L.

• Like Like x 1
  16. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    2016-01-04 11.46.59.
    A shaky 1/1300" handheld shot - next time this coyote shows up, I'll have a tripod ready!