Nikon 45/2.8p with E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jdcohnsf, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jdcohnsf

jdcohnsf New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2010
    I recently purchased an E-PL1 camera with 14-42 kit lens as well as the 20/1.7 panasonic lens. I have been particularly happy shooting with the 20/1.7 lens since it takes me back to the old days of small fixed focal length lenses on small cameras. Indeed using the E-PL1 with 20/1.7 most reminds me of the Konica Hexar (with fixed 35/2.0 lens), which I have not used for quite a while but at one point was my favorite hiking camera.

I own the Nikon 45/2.8p pancake lens, which came with the Nikon FM3A camera. I think it would make a good companion for the 20/1.7. I am considering purchasing the Voigtlander Nikon to mu43 adapter, which I have found available online. However, the VF-2 viewfinder appears to be "temporarily" unavailable everywhere except as part of a kit with the E-P2 camera. Has anyone tried this lens on the E-PL1 or other Olympus mu43 camera with or without the VF-2? I would be using the lens mainly outdoors. I find the LCD on the E-PL1 adequate for framing outdoors with the two autofocus mu43 lenses I have tried. However, I am bit worried about manual focus with the LCD outdoors (except perhaps on a tripod). I have 3 other AIS Nikon lenses (24/2.8, 50/1.4, and 105/2.8 micro) - so the cost of the adapter should be worthwhile. However, I am anxious to know in advance if manual focussing will be excessively frustrating until I can lay my hands on a VF-2 viewfinder. Also, I am a bit worried about battery usage with an electronic viewfinder. I already find the battery life on the E-PL1 a bit disappointing. I have two batterie but probably will need to buy a third for long hikes. With cameras that have both an optical viewfinder and LCD, I usually turn off the LCD as much as possible to conserve battery life.

To put things in context, many years ago when doing underwater photography with a Nikonos V camera, I was forced to use "guess" focus (i.e. guess distance and manually set lens to that distance). And macro and closeup shots were framed using metal frames attached to the lens. At least with a modern digital camera, I can use the LCD to frame the picture; and I can see the results immediately instead of waiting until I get back to the boat and develop the slide film.

Thanks for any comments/advice.

2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  3. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    jdcohnsf, I too have the 45/2.8 AI-P that came with my FM3A. I can test and let you know as soon as I can.

I thought I need the VF-2 but I find it quite easy to MF using the LCD.

4. jdcohnsf

jdcohnsf New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2010
    pdh:

Thanks for the links for the VF-2. And, yes, this forum feels like a friendly, helpful community. Reading various posts here encouraged me to order the 20/1.7 lens.

naturecloseups:

Thanks for offering to test the 45/2.8 lens. I would be very happy if I could use the LCD rather than the VF-2. Are you using the Voigtlander adapter (which is pricier than others but seems to get better reviews)? Perhaps I should just go ahead and order the adapter and try it out myself.