Showcase Nikon 200mm f4 Micro-Nikkor AI-S

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by phigmov, Jun 30, 2019.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    BE6NlbjFpOjZJTc9TSDlqqmLHgEgVrom80FiFGqNXrEWv3gIeeB58APQFt8bMu8D-hnTh3VU2spw1vTMXgw=w868-h651-no.

Shot on an E-M1 - from about 1.75m away for the first and about 1m for the second - nice working distances compared to my 50/55mm macros -

fqpw5nVIDFiJ1LUxtCu09E7ECAKYhWc95n8P7dO0SL4YLDHyiblYLCYtRAWzWFVTv-dREqNUWsMdR5uyDug=w868-h651-no.
    bW9A8bNLaRV91LPvmzFohPrDfaeyKzERJv26pZ8BSlbAPokME7XxY-9HmRMwQJJszZNFUedZ8FrQAcdY06g=w868-h651-no.

• Like Like x 5
  2. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Practising on the cat with the E-M1 & 200 Micro-Nikkor

TJaCUmaRgT5o7tW-rtDbCmQRT7aQKQCU7Ml89Sq2liYrigWB_sCwGVz8JbpUCsV1zN-EQemUOMuGwHMpFdw=w868-h651-no.

• Like Like x 5
  3. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    -q7uFiWxdAI7mhUs2fw_16Tn_a_BkuovDOnKZ1fGXCA0Z_2-VZ1Akk-lKS-4PiX-AjnGR7CPjA6cifsq_W3RMdw=w1736-no.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    Nice, the 200mm focal length can be a bit of a disappointment for many lenses but this looks like a good one.
    How's the CA performance?
    Gotta love the working distance on longer macros.
    Try it on some birds and larger subjects; I have an old Tamron that I really like for that stuff.
    :)

5. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Yes, I've been very surprised by the working distance. In the past I'd use a brighter 50 or 55mm macro but overshadow the subject, now I can stand back a pace or two and use a slower lens without worrying so much about scaring off an insect. Looking forward to using it when the bumble-bees re-appear in Spring.

I hear the lens isn't so great for some things - Ken Rockwell rates the modern AF version (super-pricey!) but doesn't seem a fan of the old MF version. Reckons you end up with CA/Fringing in fine detail of product photography (eg lens markings, watch facings etc). Not really something I'll be doing with this lens.

Definitely enjoying using it and the used prices on these seems like remarkably good value too.

I haven't seen a longer native FL on anyones lens roadmap which is a shame. Maybe just a little too niche.

6. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    Maybe we'll see a few native 135 to 300mm primes from Samyang. Considering the high price-point of most of the bigger native zooms and telephoto primes; compared to what some Chinese manufacturers could potentially sell at, who knows?
    I suppose it's down to assessed demand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.