1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon 1 system dead?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pdk42, Aug 31, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Dpreview believes Nikon 1 is no longer in development | Nikon Rumors

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    related: but not yet official ...
    The big fail: Nikon shuts down the Nikon 1 system - 43 Rumors

but these things come and go ...

I'm of the view that the best thing that Olympus did was join the m43 consortium as that has added strength and diversity to what was (iirc) a closed system. I think that aside from the biggies (Canon Nikon Pentax[who themselves have had some corporate swallowings]) the market requires companies to band together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikon 1 seemed like a big fail from day 1. They picked the smallest sensor size, but didn't capitalize on it by making miniature lenses. I can't think of a single example of a Nikon 1 lens (or camera) that is smaller than the m4/3 counterpart.

That has a lot of risk, too. You potentially grow the customer base and keep them happier, but you have to split the profits and your customers can more easily leave you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I was never a fan. My neighbour bought one a while back (when they first came out) and wasn't too enamoured by my GF-1

Interestingly having lost it he's borrowed my GF-1 again (with the 20mm f1.7) and liked it more. He did some comparisons with shots he'd taken with the 1 and found that there were not actually sharper. He's now bought a GX85 as he likes that body size (and to me the GX85 truly does extend the GF1 without compromise) and has the 20mm too :) He loves the IBIS of the GX85 and thinks its better all round (which it is IMO).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Question is is it just dead, or is it being killed for something new like a new line of mirrorless cameras. Maybe they're clearing the way for the next thing. Wishful thinking...options are good.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Dangerous to do; you alienate a segment of your user base and have an orphaned product that retailers and the public can refer to as "another failure from these guys". It tends to make people shy away from jumping into those waters again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's a real shame they killed it because as everyone knows as soon as a camera is discontinued those already sold stop working.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    well one thing that the m43 always had going for it was it was able to draw upon a vast amount of legacy lenses ... so even if right now m43 was cancelled and production ceased, I'd have a large supply of existing lenses to carry me through till the next "big thing".

I doubt that there exists similar quantity of Nikon 1 lenses

Even Canon's cancellation of the FD system didn't see those lenses vanish and to this day they are actually resurgent due to m43 :)

9. tkbslc

A lot of people assume that Nikon's new DL line of 1" compacts is the Nikon 1 replacement.

You can adapt any film lens to NIkon 1, too, albeit with a large crop factor. But the smaller sensor makes it great for adapting old C-mount film stuff.

There are also full AF adapter for using any Nikon lens (Again with massive crop factor). So I think it has similar capabilities to m4/3 in that regard.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Nikon 1 AW1 - I would love to have waterproof m43 in such a small package.

11. tkbslc

There is no waterproof m4/3.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Exactly, so it wins!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think the rumors about the Nikon 1 system's demise may be a bit premature. If it is, we'll probably notice the "discontinued" banner attached to those models eventually. I have some friends who seem very happy with their Nikon 1 systems, but they also have larger sensor cameras too. But, if Nikon is really dumping the system, it's either getting out of mirrorless or replacing it with another mirrorless system, either of which makes them look bad.

I think the only current Nikon 1 models are the V3, AW, and J5. All the others are "archived."

Speaking about being orphaned... what about Samsung?

14. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

The new DL point and shoot cameras seem to be taking up a lot of Nikon's attention right now. They have the same sensor size as the 1 System, same megapixel size as the J5.

A V4 camera with a 20MP sensor (from the J5) and a built-in viewfinder seems like the next logical step for Nikon with this system - when or if they decide to take a step. Perhaps once they get the DL cameras to market they will get to work on a new 1 System body.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm a big Nikon fan, and I even tried giving the 1 system a chance. Unfortunately Nikon just really handicapped that system from the get go.

16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    well except that aforesaid crop factor results in such magnifications as to make the images of notably lower quality than the m43 (which doesn't magnify too much) and of course biases strongly for being a telephoto oriented setup (which may well suit some)

17. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    well, kind of
    I would treat the "waterproofness" of the AW1 more as "weather sealed" (like the E-M1) than truly submersible. Too many dead-by-flooding AW1 cameras around to call it waterproof.
    Lucky I never took the bite :doh:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I found it a bit limited as to which lenses you could adapt and keep IS and AF,this is the V2 with the Sigma 150-600 @ 600mm

22635480626_881375f1e7_o.

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I have a small collection of Canon FD stuff, and I think one day I'll buy an FF mirrorless camera to use those lenses properly.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I keep looking at the A7 for exactly that