Nikon 1 new lenses

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by speedandstyle, Oct 24, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I already started a thread on the new{and it seems controversial} V2 but Nikon also announced three new lenses for the system. [​IMG]

They are 10-100mm travel lens{probably the same optics as the current 10-100 but minus the power zoom function and smaller/lighter/cheaper}, the 6.7-13mm wide zoom and the 32mm portrait prime. This brings the total number of lenses in the system up to 9 total.

There are a couple of overlaps however. For instance the 10-30mm kit zoom and the 11-27.5mm compact zoom. Also there are two 10-100mm lenses although one has power zoom for video use.

The lenses are very affordable $200-$250 except the power zoom which is a bit overpriced at $700. They do have a couple of drawbacks though, most notably the lack of a focus ring. This indicates that the primary market is people moving up from P&S and those who never manual focus.

All said I think the Nikon 1 system is now a true threat to the M4/3 system especially those that are moving up from P&S! Less so for those who are moving down - except - the Nikon 1 can AF with ALL Nikon AF-S lenses with the FT-1 adaptor so it may be tempting for Nikon DSLR users{I know I am!}.

Here is the link to the V2 thread I mentioned -
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I wonder if their IQ will catch up, much like how m43 has caught up with aps-c with the current generation.
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With all due respect , Nikon1 or 2 system is far behind MFT and will never be a threat to MFT . MFT has is moving ahead nicely and Nikon1 doesnt offer anything which MFT doesnt . I agree that some P&S users may choose Nikon 1 series but the are in minority . Nikon has missed the mirrorless boat and its heading no where . The newer MFT offering is taking a big leap in terms of bodies and lenses and Nikon is no way a threat IMHO. Nikon series doesnt offer the size advantnage which is a deciding factor and it also doesnt offer any low light advatange . Now we may say that all of us dont need low light performance - agreed then MFT is actually offering what a daily casual shooter or a serious shooter needs . Nikon will still mangage to sell and survive but there is nothing spectacular about this series . At the end its good for custormers that they have so many cameras to choose from . After closely watching this fast changing camera technology , I can say no system is a threat to another . They all will sell and survive and make money. But what I am seeing is probably future P&S will have 1 inch sensor as a norm and that will be nice .
    • Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    One unique selling point of the Nikon 1 camera's is the phase-detect AF: according to Thom Hogan they're the only cameras that can do continuous AF effectively, something no µ4/3 camera at present even comes close to.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Their higher crop factor is also another differentiating factor, and the ultra high speed mode. Also compatibility with certain line of nikon lenses (with AF support).
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OOps..I forgot that... but trade off will several for that.
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    MFT is still the sweet spot for me in terms of size and performance, but those lens prices are a strong selling point for the Nikon system.
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I moved up to m43 to gain some control over DOF.

With the Nikon 1 small sensor and slow lenses, it's not even on the table for consideration.
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    1" sensor is better suited for fixed lens cameras, IMO (RX100, upcoming superzooms, etc.). PDAF is a matter of time for m43. To me, Nikon 1 system is not really smaller or cheaper than m43 so I see no point downgrading to smaller sensor. One of the most admired photographic tools - control over DoF is lost with Nikon 1 at any reasonable distance.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No, they didn't announced the lenses. They announced they were developing the lenses. You'll notice the lenses aren't listed on the Nikon site, and there's neither a release date, nor full specs available anywhere.

This is merely a pre-pre-announcement, of the sort Panasonic did at Photokina for their 42.5/1.2 and 150/2.8.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. speedandstyle

OK - Nikon "pre-announced" these lenses.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I see several advantages(or at least reasons why it is compitition) of the Nikon 1(the system is called 1) over micro 4/3. First is the cost! The bodies are not cheaper but the lenses are! The average price for a m4/3 lens is about $500 but the average price for a Nikon 1 lens is $250(less if you ignore the special video power zoom lens).

The next thing is the video ability. With the exception of the GH series the Nikon V1 and V2 do a better job of video(or at least that is what I am reading and seeing from the reviews/tests).

The smaller sensor size allows for much more of a telephoto effect! This is one area where I am interested in the system. A 100mm on the Nikon 1 is equivilant to a 270mm in FF. So put any FF/APS tele on it and now it is a super telephoto safari kit!

Another thing is a built in view finder. The V1 and V2 have them built in but only a couple of the m4/3 bodys have them and those models are the same or higher priced - so Nikon has a slight edge there.

Then there is the hybrid AF system that allows the use of Nikkor AF-S lens in auto focus. This is a HUGE deal for any Nikon DSLR users! Even if they do figure out how to make the old 4/3 lenses work on m4/3, there are far few 4/3 users and thus far fewer 4/3 lenses. The good 4/3 lenses are also way overpriced.

Next is the sales ability of Nikon over Pany/Oly. The local Walmart and Target are selling the Nikon 1 system but NOT m4/3. So unless one goes to a camera store or big electronics outlet you are not likely to see m4/3. So you know Roswell is almost 50,000 people but we have no electronics or camera store so no place here sells m4/3!

Do not get me wrong, I am a devoted m4/3 convert but I see the Nikon 1 as somewhat serious compitition. I personally think I will get a V2 for video use at the very least.
  12. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the V2 body's look.

The Nikon 1 autofocus is out of this world. I've tried it first hand. Forget manual, you'll never need to manual focus ever again.
  13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Sorry, I have to question your statement about m4/3 lens averaging $500, where are you buying them? M4/3 lens seems to start at sub$200 and there are many less than $300. I personally think the Nikon mirrorless system is a joke, hence why it's for sale at Walmart. How many serious cameras do you see available there, and are they selling single lenses or just kits? Please don't take as an attack, just observation. Lack of manual focus seems to be a major fail in my books as well. I'm sure it will sell, but mostly to those who are P&S crowd, or those who don't really know what they want or need. The local brick and mortar is running commercials for the Nikon 1 system right now, and one of the big points they push, is its available in multiple colours- lens and bodies. Ooh now that's a major concern, I want a pink camera and I want all my lenses to match. Looks to be chasing soccer moms, performance meh, but look at all the colourful lenses ooh, ahh. I want pink lenses, and a white body. Now that's one ugly, overpriced failure. I hope you enjoy one, but I suspect you'll grow out of it quickly and be back to m4/3.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

There are several $1000 lenses and at least one at $1500!!!
    Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens H-HS35100 B&H
    If you average the $200 lenses and the $1500 one you get $650 as an average! So I was actually being generous with the $500 average! Of coarse with the m4/3 system you have a better selection of lenses. But if you look at the lenses in general the Nikon 1 lenses are cheaper overall.
  15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I bet a re-engineered 10-100mm is NOT going to be around $250...more like $600+ like the original one.
  16. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    First off the local Wal*mart has the Olympus e-pm1 and a Panasonic m43 camera in stock. But to me at least it's telling that you won't find a high end camera of any type at your local Wally World. They cater to the people who aren't serious about photography, they would make no money on high end camera items. If you really curious just ask a clerk there to tell you about cameras they have in stock.
  17. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    So are you averaging in your $3-4000 nikons in your comparison? 14mm $180, 7.5 fish $275, 19 & 30mm $200, 45 $320, 14-150 $320, 45-200 $300, 20 $370, 40-150 $200, 100-300 $500, I'm thinking that covers everything the Nikon 1 system offers and all are under or equal to $500. Maybe I'm looking at it differently. Looking at comparable range, not specialty and high grade that Nikon 1 has nothing to compare too. Which is part of the issue, they are bringing out bodies before lenses to make it a viable system where are the native fast glass to compare to the high end, I don't think there are any.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    That's definitely a strong point for Nikon 1...& the 32 is nano coated.

That being said,
    Lens prices can have a wild affect on any system - look at what happened with Micro Four Thirds and the M. Zuiko 45mm and the Lumix 14mm when it comes to price.
  19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Um, yes, there are several $1000 (or thereabouts) lenses in Micro Four Thirds... Off the top of my head...

- Lumix 7-14mm f4
    - m.ZD 12mm f2
    - Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f0.95
    - Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95
    - Lumix 12-35mm f2.8
    - Lumix 35-100mm f2.8
    - m.ZD 75mm f1.8

Do you see any lenses in the Nikon 1 line-up that come even close to comparing to these? But the thing is, these aren't the only lenses in MFT - you can also buy the cheap, sub-$500 consumer lenses if you want. Lenses which happen to include the exceptional Lumix 14mm f2.5, Lumix 20mm f1.7 and m.ZD 45mm f1.8. Unfortunately, all you get with the 1 system is cheap.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    There are times when manual focus is useful: macro shooting, portraits or composing shots off the top of my head--I ENJOY manual focusing in many circumstances. I tried out a J1 when recently the 10-30mm and body were (are?) available for $269 refurbished. I did a little testing and found the J1 auto focus excellent for moving target (an obvious disadvantage of contrast-only focus systems). However, anything except really good light and the focus was slower than m43 newer bodies.

In sum: The Nikon 1 "autofocus" is not anywhere close to beyond our particular beloved planet.
    • Like Like x 1