Nikon 1 along side m43

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by aaronlongphoto, Aug 29, 2013.

1. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    Was just curious if anyone shoots with any of the Nikon mirrorless camera along side their m43 system.

So i am in the market for a small camera to carry around for when I dont feel like bring my camera bag with my g5 and lenses. I originally was just gonna get a e-pm1 or a e-p1/2 and just get the body cap lens and leave it on there but I stumbled across a good deal on a Nikon J1 kit and the wild hair to try something different

So I would like to hear everyone's opinions, I'm not trying to shoot anything specific, just looking for a small compact camera.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I just received my Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses. Haven't shot anything with it (yet), but this thing is FAST!!!

3. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I had the Nikon V1 as my first mirror-less camera just a few weeks ago. It's a great little system, and has super-duper fast autofocus. I wasn't too impressed with the image quality though. I seemed to be getting grain at the base ISO that I wasn't pleased with. The built in EVF is also great too. The menu system was one thing that seemed to bother a lot of people, and to me it was a bit cumbersome as well. I just set the auto-ISO range to what I wanted (800 max was what I felt comfortable with) and shot in shutter priority mode. That made it a quick camera to shoot with, and I didn't need to worry about setting it up when I turned it on. The only reason I sold it and bought my G5 is because I didn't want to buy into the lenses, and I was only trying to spend $300 at the time. I bought the V1 w/10mm prime for only $275, and at that price, it was a great deal. They can be had for cheaper used I believe. I would recommend getting the 18mm as everyone who owns it says it greatly improves the performance of the camera. Another issue I had was that it didn't have a pop-up flash, but I think the J1 does.

I thought it was a great little camera though.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I did for a while. And to be honest, the primary reason why I got rid of my J1 was due to lack of glass. (The 18.5 wasn't a rumor at the time).

That being said, the "1" system is tiny as all get go. And at today's prices, a J1 with the $189 USD 18.5 ƒ1.8 makes quite a nice little daily package. :smile:

6374736707_4851ea553a_b.
    E-PL2 & Nikon 1 J1 Compared by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

6374743533_7bd9b4735b_b.
    E-PL2 & Nikon 1 J1 Compared by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Attached Files:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes it is - that's one of things that I really loved about my J1 :smile: