Nikon 1 ads

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by drd1135, Nov 11, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've now seen these Nikon commercials a few times. Anyone want to speculate on how long before the 1's outsell :43: based on rep alone?

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    my guess is "already"

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well,
    If Olympus wasn't sending money elsewhere, *perhaps* Olympus could have put more into advertising/marketing....

4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The Nikons are priced way outside the budget of most normal people, and I don't think enthusiasts care.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What Nikons?
    They're competitively priced with Canon & Sony.....

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I finally got to see the Nikon J1 in person today. I must say, they did a good job of shrinking it down on the lenses front. the 10-30 is quite small. It's a little plasticy feeling, but I think that is because they opted for a shiny look vs the GF3's matte look, for instance. The lens feels better than the panny 14-42 as well (I forget how much of a toy it seems to feel like). There were no oly's to compare.

TBH, if I were a p&s consumer, I would pick the Nikon because it had the smaller lenses. That is, until I looked at the price... $650. Versus the $500 GF3. Yeah, that would quickly get me. And from a personal POV, I didn't like the controls much, though I assume I'd get used to them if I had it.

The IQ is great from what I've seen online, but where the heck is nikon targeting this at $650?

7. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Well it took till the launch of the GF3 for me to see a m 4/3 at the local Target, it's been 1 month since the Nikon came out and it's already settle into the electronics display at the store.
    All I can say is NOT FAIR!

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    +1

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I disagree. The lenses don't seem much smaller than m43 considering how much smaller the sensor is. Yes, they take advantage of collapsible designs, but even collapsed didn't seem so small, and definitely felt cheap (which is in stark difference to the solid "brick" feel of the body)

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I guess compared to the Oly collapseable would make it not feel that much smaller. Since you'd naturally grip the lens by the barrel, it seems smaller. But they did not have one there to compare (it's been a while since I've seen one in person). Then again, if we take cost out of the equation, the 14-42x is pretty flat, even compared to the collapsed oly.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    One thing I've noticed as a Nikon 1 owner...The thing produces some really sharp images.

Compared to my Nikon D5100 DSLR, Sony NEX-3, & Olympus E-PL2....I haven't had to do any post-processing sharpening with my Nikon 1...All in camera settings for sharpness are at their default levels.

Kevlar Armor = On :biggrin:

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Infinite DOF will do that :)

13. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    IMO, this camera really doesn't inspire me to go out and shoot. It just looks out of place. I'm sure the images are fine for its sensor size. I did try it at the store.... Is amazing I see it in so many stores where m43 gear is still pretty hard to find.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Who cares, really? I don't choose what's best for me (whether it be cameras, cars, motorcycles, food, or women) based on what other people choose. I doubt seriously Panasonic is going to go out of business because Nikon sells a zillion 1's.

There's room in the marketplace for lots of different cameras, and not all of them can be the top selling one. This whole idea that one camera is going to "win" is really kind of meaningless.

That said, Panasonic and Oly suck at marketing these systems. You just about can't watch a sporting event without seeing ads for Canon and Nikon. I'm not sure I've ever seen an ad for a Panny m43 camera, and very few for Oly.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Body armor or not, all this probably means is that the default sharpening level on the Nikon 1 is set higher than on the other cameras. Not surprising given the small sensor. Set the sharpening on the other cameras higher and you'll most likely get similar images. High levels of sharpening shouldn't be mistaken for high resolution, though.

If you look at how sharpening is applied in camera, there's a pretty much direct relationship between the cost and "seriousness" of the intended market and how much sharpening is applied in camera. P&S cameras apply a lot. Low-end DSLRs still a lot, but maybe not quite as much as P&S. Mid-range DSLRs even less, and high-end DSLRs may default to no sharpening at all, or very low levels. Why? Because camera manufacturers assume low-end buyers are unlikely to want to do post-processing, while serious photographers are more likely to do so, and more likely to want to control the look of their images themselves. All DSLRs let you adjust the level, however.

The fact that the Nikon 1 applies low-end camera levels of sharpening says something about their intended market, I think.

I'm not interesting in images that have so much sharpening applied in camera that I'm stuck, and can't do anything with them because of the artifacts that creep in when you try to manipulate sharpened images. Sharpening should be left until late in the image processing chain, so that it doesn't interfere with other processing, and so that it can be applied based on the size and output medium (screen vs. print).

This isn't intended as criticism of the Nikon 1. But the idea that because a camera applies high levels of in-camera sharpening means it's "better" just doesn't hold water.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I understand your point & in that light, I'll have to see how sharp my Olympus XZ-1 shots are :smile:

On a somewhat related note, I also shoot film too. IMHO, shooting film really allows me to see just how a sharp a lens is...:smile:

17. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    It looks like a sweet system and I really wish I could buy one actually, but I boycott anything endorsed by Ashton Kutcher.

• Like Like x 1
  18. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    6 months from now m43 will be solidly in the lead again IQ-wise.

19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    1) In the lead of what?
    2) "Again"....when did it reach #1.....when did it fall from #1?
    3) What took over as #1 ?