Nikkor lens on Olympus OMD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RB61, Feb 8, 2018.

1. RB61

RB61 Guest

While digging through old gear that has been in hiding for years, I found a Nikkor 200 F4 manual focus lens. I started to look for an adapter on-line and found quite a few choices, with no real winner selected in forums or reviews.

I would like to hear from forum members who are completely satisfied with their adapter for older Nikkor lenses.

I have read that the best mode for adapted lenses is Manual, but someone stated he used Aperture priority. Can someone straighten me out on this topic?

Really digital rookie question- Since Olympus has Inbody stabilization, with it work with this lens?

Thanks, Ray

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Of the 3 I have the only one with a brand name I can find is Vello. All 3 work fine for me with 1960's era Nikkor primes but the Vello looks and feels to be best build quality. You can go with Voigtlander or Metabones for more money but I find the Vello works well for me as do the two cheaper no name adapters.

Set the mode for "A" (Aperture Priority) and dial in the Aperture using the aperture ring on the lens. The value won't show in the camera nor will it be reflected in EXIF data but the metering system will read the light coming in and will set shutter speed (and ISO if that is in AUTO) for correct exposure. I use Panasonic cameras (GX85, G85, GH4, and GH5) and work in full manual with CONSTANT PREVIEW set to ON so I "dial in" aperture on the aperture ring, set shutter speed and ISO until image looks right and meter readout confirms good exposure (or close to it).

I feel using full manual this way is just as easy as trying to use Aperture Priority.

Should work, you may have to set focal length somewhere. Been a long time since I had an E-M5 so I don't remember much about Oly settings.

3. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Use " peaking " n " magnify " features will help in confirming focus .

4. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Yes, the IS menu in the SCP has a field for you to dial in a manual focal length.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    I have 2 adapters for my old Minolta/MD/MC mount lenses. I prefer Fotodiox over Fotosy. It just feels ‘better’ and the $5 difference for peace of mind is well worth it. I shoot in A. as Jon Li suggested use focus peaking.

7. millhoud

millhoud Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2014
    Trieste
    A suggestion: plain adapters (no lens) usually have a black anodized aluminum inner finish, that will reflect some of the larger image circle of the lens, badly affecting contrast and sharpness. I found that a diy fix with the black velvety adhesive foil works miracles for next to zero cost, though i almost don't use it anymore since i got the speedbooster. I have put this black no-shine coating also in a geared adapter for nikon G lenses, it's a bit trickier but can be done.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Sorry for high-jacking this topic and maybe this is a dumb question but where goes:
    When setting the focal length on the Image Stabilizer menu, one must put the lens real focal length, or the 4/3 equivalent focal length?
    Let's say I have mounted an old manual 50mm lens.
    Do I dial in 50mm, or 100mm ?

9. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    The actual lens focal length , not the equivalent one .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you Jon Li !

11. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, on Canikon, Fuji or Olympus. You CAN NOT change that. :)
    The field of view however changes, a lot. o_O
    So, yes, in the menu one sets the lens' focal length (50mm in this case) and not the equivalent one, which BTW would confuse so many people doing the (simple) maths :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I'm not familiar with "black velvety adhesive foil"; where do you find it?
    thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Does black electrician’s tape work?

14. millhoud

millhoud Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2014
    Trieste
    i checked on amazon.com it's called "black matte suede vinil wrap"

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. millhoud

millhoud Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2014
    Trieste
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  16. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Every one I have tried works fine. Go with the least expensive. Rainbow Imaging usually has good prices direct from them - rather than e bay. Use aperture priority or manual, I find the former most convenient. The IS will work vdery well, but you will have to set it manually. Use the actual focal length (200mm)

17. RB61

RB61 Guest

Thanks. I finally was able to get into the right spot and entered the focal length. The only legacy lens that I will be using for now is a Nikkor 200mm f4. Am I correct in assuming that this entry will only be used when a m43 is not attached? Or do I need to delete the focal length if I am using a m43 lens?
    Thanks

18. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    If the 200/4 lens is the only manual lens without contacts that you will use on your camera than you are all set; any lens you attach that have contacts (native) will relay the correct info to the camera and set the appropriate IS, ignoring what you set manually.
    If however you were to use a different focal length without communication to the camera (no contact) then you have to set the corresponding focal length again
    I do that about 5 to 10 times on very photographic outing while swapping lenses....

19. RB61

RB61 Guest

Thanks, the 200mm has been around since college- probably 40 yrs old, all manual, no electronic contacts. The only other lens is a 85mm F2. Not sure if I have a use for this one.

20. RB61

RB61 Guest

I just received an adaptor from Rainbow- $11.70- and it seems to be a perfect fit. It feels precise when installing on the lens and installing/removing the complete unit from the camera.
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.