1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikkor Lens on GF2??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Hugo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Hi:

I found a micro lens (Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D) from my drawer and realized it is a very good lens. I just wondering can I use it on my Panasonic GF2? If so, what's the adapter I should buy? Below is the specs for my Nikon Lens.

Nikon Store - AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D

Thanks!

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Someone else can confirm, but I believe you need a nikon F to micro 4/3 adapter. Lots to choose from, I'd suggest rainbow imaging as a supplier.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Fotodiox is also a good supplier in the US, along with Rainbow Imaging. Both are very affordable.

Your lens has an aperture ring, so either of these suppliers will work. If you find you have more digital Nikkor lenses though with no aperture ring, then it would be worthwhile to invest in a Novoflex adapter with the blue aperture control ring built into the adapter. If you're only ever going to use older Nikkor lenses though, then any Nikon F-to-m4/3 adapter will do.

4. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    D lens focus rings aren't the nicest but it's made for digital so it should work well on your GF2. I use a rainbowimaging adapter F mount to m43 for my Nikon AFD 50/1.8 and Nikkor AI 105/2.5

5. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Ned: I'm a beginning and I don't know too much actually I don't know anything about Nikon lens. Can you tell me what is aperture ring? Do I use it to adjust my f stop manually? And what’s the difference between Rainbow and Fotodiox and Novoflex and Voigtlander other than the later two are ridiculously expensive?

Finally, would the adapter impact/alter the performance of my Nikon lens?

Many thanks!

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The adapter should not affect the quality unless it is damaged. The adapter simply creates the proper distance between the lens and the sensor(in camera), as well as the mount to that of the camera(nikon F to micro 4/3). The quality is the difference as well as possibly an aperture adjustment if your kens did not have one. Yours does, the ring that rotates the f-stop, which is the value(size) size of the aperture. I personally have four adapters from rainbow imaging and all work fine. These are Chinese imports and are regarded as cheap, as some people have experienced issues with fit and focusing beyond infinity. Due to lower quality controls versus the high end adapters. "A How To Guide to using Adapted Lenses" is the thread you should read.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The expensive ones are machined to tighter tolerances and have better quality control. The people who make them earn wages comparable to us in the west. The cheap Chinese ones often focus slightly beyond infinity. That compensates for looser tolerances as it's better to go beyond than not reach infinity.

I use both Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox adapters purchased from Amazon and am happy with them.

Fred

8. Christopher

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    I find that my rainbow one does go slightly past infinity which can be annoying if you are trying to bang out a quick shot but not annoying enough to make me wanna buy a new adapter.

9. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    I guess, when I use the adapter (on my GF2), I won't be able to use auto focus function. If that's the case, I will also lose Program, Aperture-priority and S-priority functions right? Would it be completely manual?

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I use a 55mm micro, along with many other lenses, on my G2, and your experience will be the same as mine.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/proud-girlfriend-nikon-lenses-tested-16220/
    I would personally recommend a Kipon or Voigtlander adapter. Better feel, more precise build, etc. No performance loss whatsoever with any adapter though. In fact, you get better performance, because you're only using the center of the lens, which is the sharpest part. You lose autofocus. Yes, the lens works completely manually. The adapter is simply a piece of metal, no electrical connections, that moves the lens far enough away from the sensor to mimic the Nikon's lens-to-film distance. I shoot it in A (aperture priority), because the camera will then automatically select the best shutter speed to get proper exposure. I set my aperture to a specific setting on the lens, like f/4, focus to the correct distance, and then the camera does the rest for me.

11. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Awsome! Thanks!

12. Christopher

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    The gf2 will meter however I find it underexposes the images a tad. All you have to worry about is aperture and iso :)